TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> copying programs recorded to dvd-rw <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ToOCLoSe is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToOCLoSe Find more posts by ToOCLoSe Add ToOCLoSe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToOCLoSe

Smile copying programs recorded to dvd-rw

hey i was just wondering if there is a way you can record the programming saved to a dvd-rw? i know you can probably do it with a dvd recorder but the cost of a dvd recorder is roughly $350+ and is out of my budget. I was thinking, if i purchase an external dvd-rw (i could probably get one for around $150) and connect it to my laptop, and then connect the directivo receiver to the laptop, is it possible to record that way? just a thought...

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RegBarc is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RegBarc Visit RegBarc's homepage! Find more posts by RegBarc Add RegBarc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RegBarc
Member-at-Large

FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ

Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground Tivo Underground

The Triangle - Ed-Op Editor

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

Wow, that's a really helpful response. Particularly since there's nothing addressing this particular question in the FAQ.

To answer your question, ToOCLoSe, this is possible, but it takes some pretty serious hacking on your DirecTiVo to be able to do it because the USB ports are not active and DTV scrambles the stream to prevent stuff like this.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to talk about it here, though, because of the site owner's wishes.

And welcome to the forums!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Thespis is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thespis Find more posts by Thespis Add Thespis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thespis

The OP wasn't asking about video extraction. He wants to run the output of his Tivo into a laptop and then to a DVD/RW.
Yes, you can do this as long as your laptop has a capture device with an analog video input.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

I first looked into capturing the video to my PC and then burning to DVD, but I wasn't willing to spend that amount of time to do that. So I purchased a standalone DVD recorder. I set it to transfer late at night or when I'm out. Works just fine for me. And, for those who will ask how you connect it. Just like the VCR diagram in your manual.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcd0312 is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcd0312 Find more posts by jcd0312 Add jcd0312 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcd0312

quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
I first looked into capturing the video to my PC and then burning to DVD, but I wasn't willing to spend that amount of time to do that. So I purchased a standalone DVD recorder. I set it to transfer late at night or when I'm out. Works just fine for me. And, for those who will ask how you connect it. Just like the VCR diagram in your manual.

What he said... in spades.

DVD recorders can be had for as little as $200-250 if you shop round. The amount of time/hassle saved over trying to capture it is not even close to being worth it. If you want to do more professional editing on a PC, you can still do that by rerording to RW or RAM and dumping that to your computer. It's the best of both worlds.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged