TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Starship Troopers 2 <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rcrew is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

I really loved Doogie Howser as the telepathic military intelligence officer!

I have watched this movie many times too. I don't remember the exact dialog , but when the kids go to sign up for service and talk to the military clerk with all the prosthesis...

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 04:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

Quick detour back to Heinlein's other works: I've always loved "Citizen of the Galaxy" and have been hoping for a long time that someone would make a movie out of it. I'm sure I'll be waiting forever ....

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sieglinde is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 04:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sieglinde Find more posts by sieglinde Add sieglinde to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sieglinde
Advanced Member

I pointed out to a friend that they were using the wrong weapons on the bugs, automatic rifles. She said that the movie seemed to take place in the '50s and that they may not have had the technology. I pointed out that I meant flame throwers just like the ones used in WW II. Why didn't they use flame throwers? Still bugs me.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by sieglinde
Why didn't they use flame throwers? Still bugs me.

Cheaper production?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

Automatic rifles that hold 10,000 rounds a clip looks better

Do anyone ever run out of rounds in Starship Troopers

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 07:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Paul Tatara had an absolutely brilliant review on CNN when ST1 first came out. (fount it -- here) Too bad Tatara is no longer a critic. His reviews were almost always extremely entertaining.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kylep is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kylep Visit Kylep's homepage! Find more posts by Kylep Add Kylep to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kylep
Doomed! (DOOMED!)

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Automatic rifles that hold 10,000 rounds a clip looks better

Do anyone ever run out of rounds in Starship Troopers

Diz ran out of ammo, and had to get another clip. I remember thinking how odd it was that she was out of ammo since she spent most of the fight trying to get communications up. She must not carry as much ammo as everyone else.

I just watched last night.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgr131 Find more posts by tgr131 Add tgr131 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgr131
Senile Member

quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
Quick detour back to Heinlein's other works: I've always loved "Citizen of the Galaxy" and have been hoping for a long time that someone would make a movie out of it. I'm sure I'll be waiting forever ....

Citizen of the Galaxy was great. My first attempt at reading it was abandoned -- I think I was 9 or 10. The opening chapter upset me. I went back to it a few years later and really enjoyed it.

Now, back to the breasts and bullets.

"Poetry is a way of taking life by the throat."

Robert Frost

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hbtaylor is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hbtaylor Find more posts by hbtaylor Add hbtaylor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hbtaylor

quote:
Originally posted by Frylock
OK, someone explain to me why Starship Troopers was a good book? I saw the movie and thought it was horrible (with the exception of the aformentioned nudity). Everyone said the book was better, so I read the book. While it was ok, and yes, I did get it was a satire, I found it somewhat lacking.

Starship Troopers is one of the Heinlein books that I re-read every year or so. For me, it is because the whole story is told from Rico's viewpoint, where you can see him start out as a self-centered kid who only joins up in order to try to be near a girl (and to follow along with a friend). He goes through a lot of experiences and gradually comes to realize that there is more to life (and more to HIMSELF) than he thought. He comes to believe in something much more important than himself.

In addition to the character issues, I really liked Heinlein's descriptions of Basic Training, which seemed like it could really exist, even with the "sci-fi" parts involved. One of my biggest problems with the movie (ST1?) was the way they pretty much did away with powered armor and replaced it with masses of troops. One of the parts I liked best was when Rico described how having another Cap Trooper within a quarter of a mile made him feel claustrophobic.

My wife and kids had seen that a movie based on the book was made, and I told them the book was much better. We decided to have me read the book to them. I got through two chapters with not a single complaint from them. I came back from work the next day to find that my wife had picked it up and read to the end.

If nothing else, the description of Rodger Young at the end of the book always affects me profoundly.

I like the book.

H.B.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hbtaylor is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hbtaylor Find more posts by hbtaylor Add hbtaylor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hbtaylor

quote:
Originally posted by tgr131
Educate me then! Number of the Beast started out strong, but lost it's focus. I really enjoyed the artwork in my edition (although my parents would have died if they had seen it). But it seemed to meander, and I never finished it.

Time enough for love seemed to be a bunch of interesting short stories sprinkled into an unintelligible overall frame.

I did like Revolt in 2100.

Try this article . I thought I saw something like this going on, since Heinlein used cliches I hadn't seen him use before. It seemed out of place for him. After reading this article, it made a lot more sense.

Revolt in 2100 is great! That would make a good movie, but you would have to set it up with a description of Scudder and what set up the original situation in the first place, but the events could really make a good movie. I have The Past Through Tomorrow which contains Revolt, and really like it. I guess I am in the minority of people who like pretty much the whole Future History line (actually, there isn't much Heinlein I don't like). I like Time Enough For Love and the rest of Lazarus' stories.

H.B.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 06:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I'll have to go back and read that now. Hm!

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 08:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgr131 Find more posts by tgr131 Add tgr131 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgr131
Senile Member

quote:
Originally posted by hbtaylor
Try this article . I thought I saw something like this going on, since Heinlein used cliches I hadn't seen him use before. It seemed out of place for him. After reading this article, it made a lot more sense.

H.B.

Great article and site! Kind of an aside -- I own most of heinlein's works. i recently had a chance to download a few to read on my pda. It was interesting, they appeared to be unedited -- they had extra chapters and stuff -- stuff that I was glad the editors removed because they made some of the stories drag. Wonder how those got out there "in the wild"?

Robert Frost

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

philw1776 is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for philw1776 Find more posts by philw1776 Add philw1776 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philw1776

I LOVED the Heinlein juveniles

Other good adult Henlein...
The Puppet Masters (also somewhat butchered in a movie)
Double Star
Glory Road
The Door into Summer
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Starting with Stranger in a Strange Land he became obsessed with themes of old guys having sex with nubile young women, often related and going back in time and having sex with his mother. Too wacky for me.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sieglinde is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sieglinde Find more posts by sieglinde Add sieglinde to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sieglinde
Advanced Member

The uniforms looked to me like they had bought out East German Army surplus.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 01:08 AM
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by tgr131
Now, back to the breasts and bullets.

Thanks for keeping this thread on proper track. However all the support for the original book has piqued my curiosity enough to read it.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by sieglinde
The uniforms looked to me like they had bought out East German Army surplus.

You aren't the only one. Read Tatara's review I linked above.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung
TiVo Forum Special Member

I also encourage you to read the book.
The movie was related to the book in name only as far as I'm concerned and totally missed the point.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
I also encourage you to read the book.
The movie was related to the book in name only as far as I'm concerned and totally missed the point.

Seems to happen a lot. Take Battlefield Earth, by L. Ron Hubbard, and the atrocity that was the movie ... Such an excellent book sullied by such a failure of a film ...

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 02:17 AM
tgr131
Senile Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
Thanks for keeping this thread on proper track. However all the support for the original book has piqued my curiosity enough to read it.

It's a quick read. Undisturbed I can read it in an afternoon. Of course, I've read it a million times, so I may be a bit faster than many.

Well worth your time to see what we are talking about.

Report back, and let us know what you think!

Robert Frost

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TreborPugly is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TreborPugly Find more posts by TreborPugly Add TreborPugly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreborPugly
Unreal!

If you can get by the fact that all of Heinlein's characters are perfect people, his novels can be very entertaining. I am a science fiction glutton, so I've read every single thing he's written. The fun part about authors with lots of books and an idea of a thread between them is connecting the books. He does a pretty good job of connecting his books and also manages to pull in some E.E. "Doc" Smith books.

I wouldn't call _Battlefield_Earth_ an excelleng book. I enjoyed it because it was very thick and full of plot. But it isn't really great prose or particularly deep. There was just way too much plot to make a single movie out of it.

Treb.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged