TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
>>> Monk? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dhowell is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dhowell Find more posts by dhowell Add dhowell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dhowell

By the way, if you want to know WHICH episodes are playing in the 12 hour Monk marathon on Friday, see the schedule on USA's website.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jaydro is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jaydro Find more posts by jaydro Add jaydro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaydro

Oh, great, they're not showing "Mr. Monk and the Three Pies" in the marathon. That was the one episode I missed during that whole guide info schmozzle earlier this year....

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Folks, sorry for the inconvenience here. Last week we were contacted about this issue by customers. We contacted Tribune and USA Networks about the problem. However, as you can see, for whatever reason, USA Networks did not choose to provide Tribune with the data. Our apologies, but as ccwf commented, there is nothing we or Tribune can do if USA Networks does not cooperate.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gene Plantz is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gene Plantz Visit Gene Plantz's homepage! Find more posts by Gene Plantz Add Gene Plantz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
as you can see, for whatever reason, USA Networks did not choose to provide Tribune with the data. Our apologies, but as ccwf commented, there is nothing we or Tribune can do if USA Networks does not cooperate.

I'm puzzled. If USA did not provide data, how is it that there is data in my Tivo machine?? Obviously, someone provided it..... why cannot that someone verify it is correct at the same time?????

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Hm, I just checked and my daily email from the Tivo indicates the season premier of Monk will not record tonight due to "Cancelled Recording - Reason = 29". Not sure what that means but I may have to shedule a manual recording tonight.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

There's a lot going on here...

First off, there are something like 1500+ channels that make up television for the United States. Suggesting that someone manually review channels guide data.. even a select few.. and manually massage the data and make phone calls over the data missing on a given show.. is pretty huge task.

And which channels and programs do you focus on? Comedy Central and the Daily Show? 900 Syndicated affiliates of Ebert & Roeper.. USA Network and Monk? There are known problematic shows.. and the source of the problems is the broadcaster failing to provide detailed and accurate data to Tribune.

Both Tribune and TIVO do try to track down recurring problems - and god bless them for trying - but if the channel refuses to cooperate.... You, Tribune, TIVO and whoever uses the data is out of luck.

The channel has to provide the detailed data, since as was previously posted in this thread, they are the only ones who know for sure what programs will be broadcast on their stations on a given day and time.

The network/channel reports their data to Tribune. Tribune organizes the data into lineups etc and spreads it around - including to TIVO. If the network/channel does not, can not or will not provide accurate, detailed data ; after repeated attempts to get them to do so - what can TIVO/Zap2IT do exactly?

Reviewing 1500 channels of data for problems on an ongoing basis and then tracking those problems down is not a workable solution. Training, coaching even coaxing the broadcasters to provide accurate data in the first place is the only solution to this ongoing problem.

While the USA website is accurate currently... when was that posted? The leadtimes for guide data are several weeks in advance. If USA never offered correct data at the first deadline and never updated it on the subsequent deadlines.. how can Tribune or TIVO fix the problem?

As has been noted, TIVO and Tribune did attempt resolution of the issue with USA but USA was non-cooperative. The complaint you have at this point is with USA Network.

It annoys the living crap out of me that everyone attacks Tribune and TIVO and nobody ever thinks about where the data originates. It's the oldest rule in the book of computing "Garbage In = Garbage Out".

I personally contacted a network that was providing bad guide data to Tribune for over three months. After my discussion with their audience relations coordinator, the problem was fixed within a week

You might try to address your concerns to the source - USA Network.

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

Last edited by lajohn27 on 06-19-2004 at 02:52 AM

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gene Plantz is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 02:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gene Plantz Visit Gene Plantz's homepage! Find more posts by Gene Plantz Add Gene Plantz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

quote:
Originally posted by lajohn27
As has been noted, TIVO and Tribune did attempt resolution of the issue with USA but USA was non-cooperative. The complaint you have at this point is with USA.

I don't want to get overly picky about this subject.... I just feel this is Tivo's job to fix the problem.

Your solution would be like telling a United Airlines customer if they don't like the ride or the seat, they should complain to Boeing.

I am not a customer of USA (or Boeing) and have little standing with them as I do not provide direct revenue to them.

I paid a subscription fee to Tivo for a service. I feel it is their job to get it right or make it right.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

But ultimately you are trying to access a product of the USA Network (Monk) and you cannot do so because of a failure of the provider of that product (USA Network) to accurately provide guide data.

As such.. as a viewer of USA, you are a customer. But that aside, I'm not negating what TIVO is trying to do to rectify the situation.. but I'm saying that some voluminous and repetitive complaints from consumers to USA.. may get them off their duff and correctly submitting data..

Hey it's worth a shot..

A better metaphor might be .. your cable company, who you have a business relationship with, carries a channel with shows you find you don't like very much. You *can* complain to the cable company.. but all they can do is drop the channel and replace it with something else. You might be better off to complain to the channel and get them to change the shows.

TIVO obviously works very hard to make sure that guide data is accurate.. (harder than your cable company works to make sure the channels they carry have quality programming that's for sure)..

I'm curious though, since numerous attempts by TIVO and Tribune to get them to do so have failed.. what do you propose they realistically do? Visiting the USA Website to steal data from there is not allowed.. (by the terms of the website) and USA Network refuses to otherwise provide accurate data.. (perhaps all part of an elaborate scheme to get you to visit their website?)

What would you suggest TIVO do next?

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

Last edited by lajohn27 on 06-19-2004 at 03:37 AM

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davidmin is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davidmin Find more posts by davidmin Add davidmin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidmin

For your convenience.... (ET)

07:00 AM MONK MR. MONK AND THE VERY, VERY OLD MAN
08:00 AM MONK MR. MONK GOES TO THE THEATER
09:00 AM MONK MR. MONK AND THE SLEEPING SUSPECT
10:00 AM MONK MR. MONK MEETS THE PLAYBOY
11:00 AM MONK MR. MONK AND THE 12TH MAN
12:00 PM MONK MR. MONK AND THE PAPERBOY
01:00 PM MONK MR. MONK GOES TO THE CIRCUS
02:00 PM MONK MR. MONK AND THE TV STAR
03:00 PM MONK MR. MONK AND THE MISSING GRANNY
04:00 PM MONK MR. MONK AND THE CAPTAIN'S WIFE
05:00 PM MONK MR. MONK GETS MARRIED
06:00 PM MONK MR. MONK GOES TO JAIL

David

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Ah-Ha! Because my Tivo was recording Monk after Monk without guide data today, on an SP set to KUID, it had reached its KAM limit and so would not record the premier, which does have good guide data. I deleted the old Monks and scheduled the new one. Looks like the guide data for all future eps after today is ok. Glad I checked.

Reason=29 means I have reached KAM and they are all KUID. I will have to remember that or put it in the email program.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bodosom is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 09:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bodosom Find more posts by bodosom Add bodosom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bodosom
Just another tivotee

quote:
Originally posted by Gene Plantz
I don't want to get overly picky about this subject.... I just feel this is Tivo's job to fix the problem.

You can have that feeling but it's not going to change anything. The suggestion about contacting USA is no different that if you were unhappy about the wardrobe malfunction and you contacted the NFL or an advertiser. Reach out to the people that can do something -- USA or the carrier (cable or satellite).

I suppose you could vote with your wallet and stop paying TiVo.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gene Plantz is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 10:50 AM
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

quote:
Originally posted by bodosom
You can have that feeling but it's not going to change anything. The suggestion about contacting USA is no different that if you were unhappy about the wardrobe malfunction and you contacted the NFL or an advertiser. Reach out to the people that can do something -- USA or the carrier (cable or satellite).

I suppose you could vote with your wallet and stop paying TiVo.

Well, Tivo already has my money.

I really like Tivo... I have 3 units.... oldest one going back 5 years now.

But.... perhaps it shows my age, but I think some people are trying to foist responsibility to "the other guy" ....

What if I went in to a department store and purchased a pair of jeans. I take them home and find they are defective. I expect to find the department store will take responsiblity for the product THEY sold me and not tell me to take it up with Levi. It IS their job to take it up with their supplier.... not mine.

The Tivo situation is no different.... I paid THEM for a service and they need to do whatever it takes to provide the advertised service. If that means finding a different supplier, calling them USA (or Tribune) 20 times a day or needling Tribune..... frankly that is not my problem.

I have no business relationship with USA. I did not contract with them for a service. Yes, ultimately, they are the "bad" guys but it is not my place to deal with them. Just like if there are bad guys in the neighborhood. I call the police to deal with it (I have paid the police via taxes and have the contract with them).

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by lajohn27

While the USA website is accurate currently... when was that posted?

Actually, I still hate their website.

I was visiting it about 2 weeks ago in order to determine that the real story was behind the run time of the finale of Touching Evil.

Every time I clicked on "Complete Schedule" on the show's page, I saw a page that said it hadn't been updated since April.

I later found out that was a problem with either my computer (Mac) or browser (Safari) as Win IE users saw a different page.

I emailed them and asked them to fix this 2 weeks ago. Still no fix

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged