TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Do you use the s-video cable that comes with your tivo? <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sschwart is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sschwart Find more posts by sschwart Add sschwart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sschwart
Missing Vegas

I've got the TiVo S-Vid cable and it looks great to me with that.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Platt
Well, I'm certainly not going to make any other comments in this thread if that's the way you're going to treat people that are answering the question you asked. Richierich was just relating his experiences with monster cables compared to other brands to try to help you, and you call that an "ingorant statement"? Whatever.

He's just a bit upset, and in denial over having been repeatedly ripped off. I'd be upset too if I owned a lot of Monster products.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DVDerek is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DVDerek Find more posts by DVDerek Add DVDerek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DVDerek
Tivo Rules

I Must Fess Up. I have been snookered by the lore of Monster Cables. I sat in Best Buy for 30 minutes looking at the box for AR cables versus the box for Monster Cables (component, in this case). I shelled out a lot more money for the Monster cables. I'm still not sure why. They just "looked" better to me.

Sad thing is, 2 years prior I had fallen for it with the S-Video cable for my DVD Player. At least I didn't fall for it last month with the cables for my new Surround Sound System!

I think the Monster Cables ARE good quality. But in my experience setting up my Dad's system, AR Cables are just as good and much cheaper.

Seriously though... Does anyone here have any opinion on using the S-Video output on a stand alone tivo? I am using S-Video on it now but I'm not convinced it's any better than using the RF output. I mean, it's crap in (RF) so why not just go with Crap Out?

Last edited by DVDerek on 06-22-2004 at 07:43 PM

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

I never got one (I know it comes with the S1 SAs). . Bought a dollaer store one, and it appears okay (opened up, it is just a 4 wire cord with the sort of MiniDIN S-video uses. One time I bought what was supposed to be a VGA extension, which turned out to be an HD 15 extension.)

On the subject of usilg like plugged cables for alternative-higher end uses, I have used the handset cord from an mid 1990s bag phone as an ethernet patch cable (and conversly, an ethernet cable on the same phone, just for kicks though).

Last edited by classicsat on 06-22-2004 at 07:46 PM

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CrispyCritter Find more posts by CrispyCritter Add CrispyCritter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

quote:
Originally posted by DVDerek
Seriously though... Does anyone here have any opinion on using the S-Video output on a stand alone tivo? I am using S-Video on it now but I'm not convinced it's any better than using the RF output. I mean, it's crap in (RF) so why not just go with Crap Out?
I hooked up both so I could switch between them with just a button push. The S-Video was a bit better for video and quite a bit better for TiVo menus. YMMV. Putting in an amplifier for the cable signal had a much bigger improvement for me.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bierboy is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierboy Find more posts by Bierboy Add Bierboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bierboy
TiVo or death

quote:
Originally posted by CrispyCritter
The S-Video was a bit better for video and quite a bit better for TiVo menus.
That's exactly what I found to be true. Video is marginally better, but the menus looked a lot better.

Hitachi 51UWX20B - Samsung SIR-T151
40 Hour TiVo SA Series 2 - HMO w/D-Link DWL-122
CM 4221 - CM 9521A - Onkyo TX-SR601S - Denon DVM-1815
Polk RT 55 Mains - Polk CS 245i Center - Polk RT 25 Surrounds - Etymotic ER-6 Isolator Earphones
Harmony SST-659 -- Panamax MAX 4300

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
How much better were the generics?

People notice differences taking sugar pills, etc. You thought you saw a difference would be a more accurate statement. Unless you did a double blind test your testing would be meaningless.

I have noticed differences between well shielded cables and generics (cables that come with most devices, NOT the Tivo cables, those are pretty good.) I don't use monster but I use well shielded cable for my analog video signals. Behind my entertainment cabinet is a rats nest of speaker wire, a/v wire and power wires. With cheaper "thin" cables my analog video picks up interference that a better shielded cable doesn't. I'm not talking about barely noticable differences either, I mean like light and dark bars scrolling up and down my screen vs
a solid image with no scrolling bars.
This isn't a plug for "monster" as monster cable is rediculous in their pricing and marketing, but cables can make a difference.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
This isn't a plug for "monster" as monster cable is rediculous in their pricing and marketing, but cables can make a difference.

I agree cables can make a difference (at least analog cables). I just don't agree that Monster products are better than generic (based on my experience which involved them causing problems--apparently due to lack of sufficient shielding).

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

richierich is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for richierich Find more posts by richierich Add richierich to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richierich

That's all that I was saying about the AR versus Monster cables. I and several of my friends can't tell a difference between AR which is a good shielded cable and Monster which is a good but more expensive shielded cable but no better so why spend the money. Acoustic Research has been making speakers for a long time and decided to help their customers get a better sound by also producing great audio cables. Monster is a great company with a fantastic marketing department but I'm not falling for it if I can't see a difference in a direct A/B comparison. My comments were not ignorant.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

quote:
"My comments were not ignorant. "
Shouldn't that decision best be left for others to decide?

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

quote:
...snip...

One good reason is because the RF output on the TiVo is mono - no stereo sound if you use it.
I was surprised to find this out, but apparently it's very common with VCR's, or so I'm told.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pbanders is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pbanders Find more posts by pbanders Add pbanders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pbanders

quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
Speaking of monster I went into a CC and bought a dvd player and the guy tried to sell me the monster optical cable over the generic. I said "Why?"

Sales guy: "Well sir you get reduced electro-magnetic interference that way, your sound is cleaner."

me: "But it carries light, not magnetic waves, and even if it did it's digital, it either gets the proper amount if info or it doesn't, not "dirtier sound"."

Sales guy: "It can still be effected by EMI."

me: "No thanks."

LOL

You never know what new physics you can learn from a CC salesman!

Speaking of Toslink cables, Radio Shack is having a clearance on 12', 6', and 3' paired Toslink/RCA coaxial video cables, only $10 for the 12' and 6', $8 for the 3'. I just picked them up at lunch today.

Media PC - 2.53 GHz P4 / 1 GB DDR/120 + 200 GB HD / Sony DVD+/-/R/RW
Adaptec DVD Media Center USB2 MPEG Encoder / ADS Pyro A/V Link DV Encoder
Ulead VideoStudio 8.0 / Ulead MovieFactory 2 SE / NTI CD-Maker 6.0 Platinum / TMPGenc Plus
InterVideo WinDVR / InterVideo DVD Copy / Pinnacle Instant Copy 7.0 / Pinnacle Studio 8.10SE
Denon 3802 / Panasonic S55 / JVC HR-S29U S/VHS / Marantz LV520 Laserdisc / Sony MOD-RF1 Demodulator
Sennheiser HD-500 / RadioShack 15-1975 A/V Network (1 xmit, 2 rcvrs)

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmcbrine is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmcbrine Find more posts by wmcbrine Add wmcbrine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmcbrine
Pink Member

I've rarely seen cable quality make a difference, except with RF sources. (Leaky coax does make a difference there.) I've even used skinny audio-specced RCA cables for composite video, with no noise. I'm currently using audio cable for two out of three component lines from my progressive DVD player to our new plasma, until I pick up some proper component cables. But there's no rush, because no one could tell the difference to look at the screen. My only reason for changing them would be neatness -- keeping the proper color coding on the connectors.

I've had a few bad cables where the connectors came apart, so I won't say that quality is a non-issue. But Monster cables make me laugh.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmlove51 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmlove51 Find more posts by dmlove51 Add dmlove51 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmlove51
Advanced Member

What happens when you have "leaking" coax cables?

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for badcrc Find more posts by badcrc Add badcrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:

Well I'm using RF-in on 2 tivos, and there's a huge difference between RF/composite out and S-Video. S-Vid is much more crisp especially on text and the overall picture is noticeably better. That's on a 5 year old Zenith TV. On a fairly new Sony 27" the difference between composite and svideo is less noticeable, but on certain things like menus and text and some colored scenes you can tell a difference.

Basically every time I've tried RF and switched to svideo I can see a big difference. If you can't see the difference why do you even care what others think? Just use the one that's easiest. I think a lot of it has to do with your TV and other equipment.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

troyz is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for troyz Find more posts by troyz Add troyz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
troyz

I didn't get one (svid cable) so I had to buy some. I bought some at sears, nothing fancy

I bought one set of Monster component cables for my HDTV though. It was the only set I allowed myself to be talked into.

I did create my own digital coaxial cable using belden 1506a and some good cardas ends. I think it cost me about $15 in materials and is supposed to rival the best monster cable out there.

But overall I don't get too fancy with the wires. My speaker wire is ofc (oxygen free copper) which is important as corrosion does cause poor connections.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmcbrine is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmcbrine Find more posts by wmcbrine Add wmcbrine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmcbrine
Pink Member

quote:
Originally posted by dmlove51
What happens when you have "leaking" coax cables?

Interference from/with other RF sources, aka noise.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MsUnderstood is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MsUnderstood Find more posts by MsUnderstood Add MsUnderstood to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MsUnderstood

A little off topic, but I have the toshiba DVD/tivo and have a choice between s-video or the composite cables (is that the red/green/blue plugs). . .

Isn't composite better that S video? I was told the signals would be crisper because they were being sent seperately. . .and no it wasn't a monster salesman who told me that *wink*

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Actually, the red/green/blue are for component video which is better than s-video (which is better than composite video which is better than RF/coax)

Only the DVD combination units from Toshiba and Pioneer have component video outputs

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sytteg16 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sytteg16 Find more posts by sytteg16 Add sytteg16 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sytteg16

This forum could learn alot from the Monster Cable discussions at other forums like Ars Technica.

The agreed upon conclusion is that Monster Cable is high quality but the extra money spent is for marketing not higher quality cables than the cheaper brands. So by not buying Monster Cable you save money by not paying for their advertising campaigns and recieve the same quality of cable. Unless you work for a retail establishment like BB/CC then the Monster Cables are often 10% over cost which usually works out to $4-$5 per cable. Yes, you pay that much for advertising and packaging.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged