TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Multi Service Discount in two locations? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlueOtto is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlueOtto Find more posts by BlueOtto Add BlueOtto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueOtto

Question Multi Service Discount in two locations?

Suppose you have 2 tivos, and part of the year one of them goes to live somewhere else (say summer home, or college student in a dorm out-of-state). They are both being paid for by the same person on the same account. Does MSD apply? (Legally, ethically, technically, etc....)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markandjenn is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markandjenn Find more posts by markandjenn Add markandjenn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markandjenn

From Tivo's website:
MSD

What does it mean to be "eligible" for the Multi-Service Discount?
In order to be eligible for the discounted monthly service, all TiVo® subscriptions must be registered to the same account at tivo.com and must be dialing in/connecting from the same service address. You must also have one box paying the regular monthly fee, annual or paid in full with product lifetime service.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstrosSuperfan is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AstrosSuperfan Find more posts by AstrosSuperfan Add AstrosSuperfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AstrosSuperfan
Baseball Junkie

You could even hook one up to work with broadband, that way Tivo, Inc. won't know that you are calling from 2 addresses.

BTW, I don't consider this a theft of service, considering you ARE paying for both tivos.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

It will be interesting to see over the next few months, how TiVo addresses (NPI ) these issues. Will we be seeing posts from people whose discount was disallowed over things like this? Or will such threads simply be removed as theft of service oriented?

Don't get me wrong. I agree this shouldn't be a place where people can come to learn how to rip off TiVo.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmace57 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmace57 Find more posts by jmace57 Add jmace57 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmace57
Large Member

phone1 -

I am in exactly the situation as the original poster. I want to send TiVos to my kids at college for 8 months of the year. When they graduate, and assuming the TiVos are still running, I will give them to the kids. At that point, they are no longer mine.

This is a question to all - is it really theft of service in this case? I could see if it was a friend...or my sister, but my (not yet grown) kids? I want to do the right thing. So I am soliciting opinions.

Thanks

Jim

60 Hour TiVo Series 2
157 Hour TiVo Series 2

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

Well, assuming that TiVo does have a method to determine location reliably, I suppose the fairest thing would be for you to be billed $12.95 while the TiVo's are off to University, and $6.95 when they're back home for break.
I don't know if TiVo's billing systems will be that flexible or not, though.

If you're really, really interested in doing the right thing vis a vis TiVo corporate policy, maybe you can contact TiVoOpsMgr or TiVoBill and ask them to get a definitive answer for you.
Otherwise, you can just subscribe the units while they're in your home and see what happens in the Fall. Worst case scenario is that you end up paying full price, right?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlueOtto is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlueOtto Find more posts by BlueOtto Add BlueOtto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueOtto

Plus, this would even just be a hassel to get the discount during the 3 months of summer, and then switch off of MSD for school, and switch back on next summer etc.--- even just explaining the situation to a CS rep.

I'm the college student in this situation But I am the one that owns both Tivos (not the parents).

The original Tivo (at home) is already on broadband with lifetime service. The other is currently undecided as to whether it will get broadband. There may be no dialup numbers near school, so it may have to be on broadband (No ISPs but the local -one- around, arrr...).

I wonder if Tivo will even have the options in their sales computers to have non-MSD on the same account, or if MSD is automatic on all extra Tivos on the same account.

P.S.
(Picked up a SD-H400 last night at Best Buy. As I picked it up, an employee told me about the $50/mail-in-rebate, and a $25 BB gift card that comes with it. Of course, no gift card came up at the register, so the cashier talked to the employee, and a manager walked by and they talked to him... long story short, I'll be getting a $25 gift card too. Awesome deal!!!)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlueOtto is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:59 PM
BlueOtto

Good point... I will ask them.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bierboy is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierboy Find more posts by Bierboy Add Bierboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bierboy
TiVo or death

quote:
Originally posted by phone1
this shouldn't be a place where people can come to learn how to rip off TiVo.
That's exactly the point; how is this "ripping off" TiVo? There is absolutely no way TiVo is being denied any revenue stream from this practice.

Hitachi 51UWX20B - Samsung SIR-T151
40 Hour TiVo SA Series 2 - HMO w/D-Link DWL-122
CM 4221 - CM 9521A - Onkyo TX-SR601S - Denon DVM-1815
Polk RT 55 Mains - Polk CS 245i Center - Polk RT 25 Surrounds - Etymotic ER-6 Isolator Earphones
Harmony SST-659 -- Panamax MAX 4300

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Folks, the official and final answer is the one that markandjenn posted at the beginning of this thread: In order to qualify for the Multiple Subscription Discount, all units must be registered to the same account at tivo.com and must be dialing in/connecting from the same service address.

As I said in a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, I cannot and will not go into detail about exactly how this will be enforced. The smart people on this forum can easily think of a dozen enforcement methods that could be used.

I am definitely sympathetic to someone in BlueOtto's position where a unit will sometimes be used in one location and sometimes in another. But please understand that we are not yet a profitable company, and the monthly service fee is carved up into many different expenses and contractually required payments to different parties. I can't go into details about all the monthly costs, but if you were familiar with our business, you'd definitely agree with me that someone trying to qualify for a $6.95 fee when they really should be paying a $12.95 fee under the terms and conditions absolutely constitutes theft of service, and eats into our bottom line making it harder for TiVo Inc. to ever become a profitable company.

Any unit that is in violation of the terms will begin to get warning messages, and that message will have details about what it takes to come back into compliance with the terms of the Multiple Subscription Discount. If the unit is not in compliance, that order will have a price of $12.95 per month. Once it again qualifies for the Multiple Subscription Discount, the price will return to $6.95 per month.

I'd love it if we could make exceptions for every corner case and possible situation. I'm sympathetic to people who "almost" qualify. But we had to set hard rules around this program to avoid fraud and losing a lot of money. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

quote:
Originally posted by Bierboy
That's exactly the point; how is this "ripping off" TiVo? There is absolutely no way TiVo is being denied any revenue stream from this practice.
Bierboy, I strongly disagree. I'll use a hypothetical example to illustrate my point.

Let's say that someone somehow cheats and makes a unit appear to be qualified for the discount when it really doesn't qualify. And let's say further (hypothetically) that TiVo's costs were about $7.00 per unit per month. TiVo may be willing to lose a nickel each month for a good customer who has more than one unit, in order to keep that customer happy. Because after all, we can make up that nickel loss on their $12.95 subscription. But, that doesn't mean that we'd be able to stay in business if everyone were to "cheat" and pay only $6.95 instead of $12.95.

Bottom line, if someone is able to cheat, they're ripping us off for the tune of $6 per month.

Let me know if our position here makes sense.

Thanks,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmace57 is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmace57 Find more posts by jmace57 Add jmace57 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmace57
Large Member

Stephen,

Thanks for the final word on this. I'll move forward from here, and figure out what to do in the fall.

Regards,
Jim

60 Hour TiVo Series 2
157 Hour TiVo Series 2

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlueOtto is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:22 PM
BlueOtto

Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to be a pain, or trying to get around the rules or anything, just wanted to know Tivo's official position. As it stands, if I could pay $6.95 for my unit at school, I would certainly consider subscribing it. But, for the little TV I watch while at school, there is no way I can justify $12.95/month for Tivo Plus. So I will be happy using Tivo Basic while at school. Sniff... goodbye HMO, goodbye season passes

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

MSD with "Loaner Box"

Okay, here's a corner case I'm going to have soon and I just want make sure it will be okay.

I have a Series 1 with lifetime, a Series 2 with lifetime and now a new Series 2 with MSD month. Currently, all these boxes are "dialing" in from my house. However, over the next couple of months, I'm planning to loan out the Series 1 with lifetime to a couple of different family members/friends so they can play with it/get addicted.

Once I do that the Series 1 will not be dialing in from the same location. Is this going to be a problem? Should I create a seperate account for the Series 1 and transfer it to that other account?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394

Re: MSD with "Loaner Box"

quote:
Originally posted by dkroboth
Okay, here's a corner case I'm going to have soon and I just want make sure it will be okay.

I have a Series 1 with lifetime, a Series 2 with lifetime and now a new Series 2 with MSD month. Currently, all these boxes are "dialing" in from my house. However, over the next couple of months, I'm planning to loan out the Series 1 with lifetime to a couple of different family members/friends so they can play with it/get addicted.

Once I do that the Series 1 will not be dialing in from the same location. Is this going to be a problem? Should I create a seperate account for the Series 1 and transfer it to that other account?

This case is not an issue. The unit you are loaning out is neither the qualifying unit for MSD (your Series 2 lifetime fills that qualification), nor the other Series 2 unit receiving MSD.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

Re: Re: MSD with "Loaner Box"

quote:
Originally posted by Want1394
This case is not an issue. The unit you are loaning out is neither the qualifying unit for MSD (your Series 2 lifetime fills that qualification), nor the other Series 2 unit receiving MSD.

Thanks...that makes sense.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mjfalk is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mjfalk Find more posts by mjfalk Add mjfalk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjfalk

Well, I just checked what I am being billed for. I have five units, all on same account, but one is down with my mother. It looks like even the one down with mom is being billed at the discount price. I did not do anything to hide its location. This was done by TIVO. I don't mind paying the correct rate, but don't think I will call up and complaine about it. What do other people see.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj

How can you tell which units are being billed at the discounted rate? I looked on the manage my account section and didn't see anything.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:04 AM
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Ellinj, Manage My Account (http://www.tivo.com/manage/) will show the details in the "View Billing History" section.

Mjfalk, we started out giving all units on the same account the benefit of the doubt. If we're billing you $6.95 for now but your unit shows itself to be calling in from a different address, you will start to receive notifications on that unit that it will return to the $12.95 monthly price. You'll be seeing that message in the near future.

Best regards,
Stephen

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Ellinj, Manage My Account (http://www.tivo.com/manage/) will show the details in the "View Billing History" section.

Mjfalk, we started out giving all units on the same account the benefit of the doubt. If we're billing you $6.95 for now but your unit shows itself to be calling in from a different address, you will start to receive notifications on that unit that it will return to the $12.95 monthly price. You'll be seeing that message in the near future.

Best regards,
Stephen

How will tivo handle the situation where I have TWO units at TWO different locations? I would expect to pay 12.95 x 2 and 6.95 x 2. Will this happen automatically?

Jeff

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged