TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> some (hopefully) original suggestions <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
stargoat is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stargoat Find more posts by stargoat Add stargoat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stargoat

some (hopefully) original suggestions

You know how Tivo Suggestions that Tivo chooses to record are automatically
deleted before my own recordings whenever space is needed? Tivo should allow me to give any program or Season Pass a "Keep Priority", which decides how soon it goes on the chopping block. Example: I have a Season Pass for The Daily Show, but I want it to be deleted any time space is needed -- even an episode that was just recorded 30 minutes ago, if necessary! Another way to implement this would be to have the normal list of Season Passes, and a separate list of "Bonus Passes" to which I could add The Daily Show. Any Bonus Pass episode that gets recorded would be deleted first whenever space is needed, regardless of how long it has been in your Now Playing list.

Let me change the # days that a program is considered "recently in Now Playing". Example: I don't want the same episode of Seinfeld that I just watched and deleted to be recorded again 29 days later. Season Passes should have an option "Skip recording if same episode in Now Playing in the last:" ("2 weeks", 4 weeks", "3 months", or "year").

If a movie or show episode is recorded, and then gets deleted (either manually or automatically) before I watch ANY of it, it should be automatically recorded again the next time it comes on, rather than skipped over for the next 28 days. If I watched all or part of the recording before it got deleted, that's one thing, but if I did not watch ANY of it before it got deleted, Tivo should be able to recognize this and record that program or episode again as soon as possible (even if it means "bumping" an already scheduled Season Pass recording with a lower priority).

If Tivo gives a program an "automatic thumbs-up" just because I recorded it, then Tivo should remove that thumbs-up if the program gets deleted (either manually or automatically) before I ever start watching it.

Better yet, Tivo should not give a program an "automatic thumbs-up" just because I told it to record that program one time. Why assume that I liked a program that I have only recorded one time? A program should only get an automatic thumbs-up if I set up a Season Pass for it, or if I record it more than once. Better still -- just let me decide what ratings I give to what (no automatic ratings!)

This one's probably been hashed and rehashed, but just in case: Problem: I want Tivo to suggest new shows that I might like, but I have already seen and given one or more thumbs-up to every program in the Tivo Suggestions. Solution: Include option to list ONLY suggestions that I have not rated yet.

Problem: I don't like to watch a lot of movies, but over half of my Tivo Suggestions are movies. Solution: Include a filter on the Tivo Suggestions (like on the Grid Guide). Example: Show only the Tivo Suggestions that are not movies, or that are comedies, etc.

Change granularity of manual recording start & end times from 5 minutes to 1 minute. Or, since the up and down arrows change the start & end times by 5 minutes, make volume up and volume down change it by only 1 minute ("fine tune").

Give me the option to delete part of a recording. Example: I recorded a 6-hour golf program. I have watched the first 5 hours, but I need to make room for other recordings and I don't want to delete anything in my Now Playing list. It would be nice if I could delete the 5 hours of golf that I have already watched without deleting the whole 6 hours. I have a feeling this has been already suggested in a roundabout way in the "Editing" thread.

Include option to find movies by star rating. Example: I want to find all 4-star movies that are in the program data.

Finally, include option to ONLY record a Season Pass or Auto-recorded Wishlist program from a particular channel or list of channels. Example #1: A Wishlist that auto-records all movies directed by Martin Scorcese and which appear on HBO, HBO2, or Showtime (not ones that appear on USA, TNT, etc.) Example #2: A Season Pass that records all episodes of The Apprentice which appear on NBC (not ones which appear on CNBC).

Long Live Tivo and the Tivo Community!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

A couple of notes:

quote:
Originally posted by stargoat
If a movie or show episode is recorded, and then gets deleted (either manually or automatically) before I watch ANY of it, it should be automatically recorded again the next time it comes on, rather than skipped over for the next 28 days.
The TiVo already does this for shows that are deleted automatically (if less than 5 min has been watched). I don't know that it is a good thing for TiVo to record shows that have been deleted manually. The TiVo can't tell the difference between you deleting a show because you noticed you were running out of space, and you deleting a show because you realized from the description you'd watched it before. (Or because an autorecording wishlist recorded something you didn't want; but just your luck that episode will be airing daily for the next 28 days, requiring you to delete it once a day under this scheme!)

quote:
Example #2: A Season Pass that records all episodes of The Apprentice which appear on NBC (not ones which appear on CNBC).
Season Passes are already channel specific. They will only record shows from the channel they are assigned to. (Wishlists record from any channel on your 'channels I receive' list).

But aside from those minor nit-picks, these are good suggestions.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged