TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> $99 Tivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buzzdsm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for buzzdsm Find more posts by buzzdsm Add buzzdsm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buzzdsm

$99 Tivo

I know this has been discussed about 1 million times but I can't find anything recent. What TIVO unit will I get with the Directv $99 deal? I'm going to set-up my Harmony remote before it's installed on Wednesday.

BTW-I'm going to run both my old Hughes E86 and this new Tivo unit on the same TV. I'm not willing to shell out $1K on the one unit.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

You will find out what unit you get when it arrives. DirecTV just sends out whatever they have in stock at the moment. I believe they are sending out RCA units currently, but I am not positive. They are all essentially the same unit though. If you want to get picky about it you are better off going to Best Buy or some other electronics store and picking out the specific one you want.

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BGLeduc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BGLeduc Find more posts by BGLeduc Add BGLeduc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGLeduc

Yup, dropped in to Best Buy just to see if they matched the $99 and they did, with a choice of RCA or Philips at my local store..

Walked out with the Philips, and saved a couple bucks due to no $15 S/H fee, plus having a BB Rewards Card which is worth about 5% more.

BGL

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slowburn is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slowburn Visit slowburn's homepage! Find more posts by slowburn Add slowburn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slowburn

My local Best Buy wouldnt do that. They told me it was for new customers only. Looks like I need to go back.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

quote:
Originally posted by slowburn
My local Best Buy wouldnt do that. They told me it was for new customers only. Looks like I need to go back.

Regardless of what they tell you, just buy it and give them your CC and all of that. When you call up DTV to activate it, all will be fine. Just remember, those who work at Best Buy don't really know anything except how to try and sell a Protection Plan to you. You won't be charged any amount of money for the DTiVo above what you paid (i.e. that huge sum they threaten you with if you don't activate the receiver).

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BGLeduc is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BGLeduc Find more posts by BGLeduc Add BGLeduc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGLeduc

This reminds me of my attempt a couple years ago to be a plane-jane D*TV sat box for a second room. The place I had bought all my D*TV gear from 6 years earlier (a local retailer) tells me that the cheapest D*TV box they had (a bottom end Sony) was still $300 or so. Only new customers could get the el-cheapo price.

This, the same Sony box that could be had at any number of legit on-line stores, for somewhere around $80. Even D*TV had second room boxes for cheap. I said no, thats not right. Tried talking to the manager. Nada.

So, a few days later I called again, and they would not budge. I don't know if they just are on a different retail plan than the big box guys or what, but they won't be getting any more of my $$$$.

So anyway, screw 'em, I walked in to Ultimate Electronics, told the guy I wanted the bottom line Sony, and he said sure, $78. I said I am an existing customer. He said so what? Just sign that you will activate the box within 30 days. Done deal.

FWIW, the price tag on the Philip D*Tivo I just bought said $99 with no new customer disclaimer. The BB droid you talked to just didn't know what he was talking about.

BGL

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoed4Life is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoed4Life Find more posts by TiVoed4Life Add TiVoed4Life to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoed4Life

Hey Buzz! I know you
<------------- jj1814

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holemania is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holemania Find more posts by holemania Add holemania to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holemania

Is it better to get the $99 deal thru D* or buy my own DirecTivo and set it up myself?

If I do get the $99 deal from D*, will they run the 2nd cable from my oval dish to my tv? or do I have to run the cable?

thanks for any feedback!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

threeonparfive is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for threeonparfive Find more posts by threeonparfive Add threeonparfive to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
threeonparfive

For those trying to get the deal through Best Buy, you can get the $99 deal on the Phillips or RCA via the website if the store gives you problems. I just walked out with 2 RCAs fro $99/each at my local store last week as a "used to be" customer getting set for a new install of an oval dish tomorrow (install paid by DTV). When I checked out, they asked if I needed an installation via BB and I said "no". I was then presented with the "existing customer" agreement rather than the new customer agreement so I know that the $99 deal is for both new and existing. And there is no fine print anywhere in the store or on the web about that deal.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hkiss96 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hkiss96 Find more posts by hkiss96 Add hkiss96 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hkiss96

Is the one with the 99 deal a series one or two?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

usrbingeek is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for usrbingeek Visit usrbingeek's homepage! Find more posts by usrbingeek Add usrbingeek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
usrbingeek
Digital:Snot

Series 2. Series 1's aren't being sold anymore unless you find it on ebay or something.

Google is your friend. Learn to use it wisely.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buzzdsm is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for buzzdsm Find more posts by buzzdsm Add buzzdsm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buzzdsm

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoed4Life
Hey Buzz! I know you
<------------- jj1814

How? PFG?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jp in detroit is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jp in detroit Find more posts by jp in detroit Add jp in detroit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jp in detroit

I got the $99 tivo deal a few weeks ago and they gave me a $50 credit just for asking. he also offered the $399 HD deal for $199 after i talked to him about it for about 20 minutes. the longer you hold out with these guys the more they can offer you it seems

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rkkeller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rkkeller Find more posts by Rkkeller Add Rkkeller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rkkeller

There is also a $79 NFL Sunday Ticket
DirecTivo offer but I forgot the code
for it. That is how I got mine.

Not bad for $79 plus free installation.

Rich

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NYHeel is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NYHeel Find more posts by NYHeel Add NYHeel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NYHeel

What do you mean $79 NFL Sunday Ticket offer?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged