TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Black Lines from top to bottom <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kaddar is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kaddar Find more posts by Kaddar Add Kaddar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaddar

Black Lines from top to bottom

about two centemeters appart are 4 black lines on the right side of the screen. There are two of these on the middle of the screen. The lines are not thick, nor are they full lines, they have small spaces between them, and look very much like this:

___ _ _ __ _ _ _ ___
_ ________ _ _ _ _ _

Except that they go from top to bottom, not left to right.

While tv is playing, the lines aren't always visible entirely, sometimes one or two, or all of them are not visible, and it seems to depend on what objects are in the picture, for example, sometimes they only show up on a jean jacket, and not the surrounding area.

I have a tivo series 2, I did not have this problem with my series one, which I removed two days ago. I have tried switching to svideo connection to the tv, and I am now using an RCA cable to my digital cable box.

I have tried plugging the RCA cable from the digital cable box directly into the tv, and the video feed is fine. It is the connection from the cable box to the tivo, because the tivo menus are not afflicted, and recorded tivo programs still have it.

My tivo series 2 is version 4.0-01-2-140, and had been used on another previous tv with directtv before, working fine.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem? I've done a search through the tivo community and tech support help forums without finding any solutions.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

As it doesn't happen in menus I'll try a wild guess - see if you have Closed Captioning enabled on your TV. If so try turning it off completely. TiVos have been known to really muck up CC and drop all sorts of odd black bars/lines on the TV display. It's probably a long shot, but worth a look.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kaddar is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kaddar Find more posts by Kaddar Add Kaddar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaddar

It happens in the digital cable menus, and not the the tivo menu, and CC is off. hmmn...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simmike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for simmike Find more posts by simmike Add simmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simmike

It sounds like your cable box is putting out non-standard TV output.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kaddar is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:25 PM
Kaddar

hmmn, weird, and this would effect a tivo brand tivo series 2 differently than my philips tivo series 1, as well as not effect the tv it self when no tivo is plugged in?

Doh.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

Hmm. All I've got is experiments to try. Does it do the same thing if a VCR or DVD player is hooked to the same TiVo input the cable box is using? Does it do the same thing connected to a different TV (or a different input on the existing TV)? If you've got more than one cable box in the house, you could try swapping them.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kaddar is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:42 AM
Kaddar

hmm, I attempted to use my gamecube to the tivo box, and similarly, the tivo has black lines all in it.

This leads me to conclude that the problem is hardware based, most likely.

I am not sure what to do about this tivo, is there somewhere I can take it to repair, and if so, what is the pricing? It isn't covered by warrenty, I don't think.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:23 AM
JPriller
just some guy

Didn't this TiVo used to work with another TV okay? It might be the TiVo, or it might be some weird interaction between the TiVo and the current TV. If you still have the other TV I'd try the TiVo on that before doing anything else.

You can call TiVo about repairs (unless it's an AT&T or Sony TiVo, then you have to them), it runs a minimum of $100 plus shipping both ways.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged