TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Simple HMO feature <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Gadguy is offline Old Post 09-14-2003 07:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gadguy Find more posts by Gadguy Add Gadguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gadguy

Lightbulb Simple HMO feature

How about adding a wake on lan feature to allow HMO to wake up your computer to serve photos or music. Instead of having to leave the computer on all the time, this would allow couch potatoes like me to turn my desktop on and get music from my tv room.

Once a server shows up, if it goes away you to select wake to wake it up, or you could use clear to remove it from the list.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simonalope is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for simonalope Find more posts by simonalope Add simonalope to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simonalope

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of creating a new one...
I used a second NIC to share my computer's ethernet connection with the TiVo (crossover cable connecting computer directly to Netgear FA120 USB/ethernet dongle in Toshiba SD-H400). When I installed the NIC, I connected the optional "wake on lan" cable to the motherboard's hookup for it, just to see what would happen. When I first tried having TiVo connect while the computer was off, the connection failed, so I assumed WOL wasn't working.
However, yesterday I had reason to power-off and reboot my TiVo. The computer was off at the time, and when I turned on the TiVo I heard the computer suddenly power up and I was able to connect to the network. When I turned the computer off again and had TiVo try to connect (without restarting the TiVo), failure.
So, is the limitation for WOL that TiVo only sends the "I'm here! Trying to connect to the network! Please wake up!" signal when it first boots and detects a dormant network connection? Is there any way that WOL can work without having to restart the TiVo?
I'm not a network guru, so I have no idea if this is a software or a hardware issue. Just curious...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gadguy is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gadguy Find more posts by Gadguy Add Gadguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gadguy

Wake on Lan

Wake on Lan is not just activity on the network. It is a special packet that is sent to wake a computer. Normally, you have to send this special packet to a specific computer (based on the MAC address of the device to wake). I would not think that the TiVo would send this out unless they specifically add it into the code.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simonalope is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for simonalope Find more posts by simonalope Add simonalope to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simonalope

Re: Wake on Lan

quote:
Originally posted by Gadguy
Wake on Lan is not just activity on the network. It is a special packet that is sent to wake a computer. Normally, you have to send this special packet to a specific computer (based on the MAC address of the device to wake). I would not think that the TiVo would send this out unless they specifically add it into the code.

But clearly, *something* about turning on the TiVo triggered my computer's WOL - the computer had been off until I unplugged and restarted the TiVo, at which point the computer booted up. This only happens if the TiVo is powered down and then plugged back in - just trying to force a call over the network has no effect on the computer if it's off.
Is it just a fluke that my TiVo triggers WOL upon booting, but can't at other times? Have others played around with WOL?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged