TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R Media <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ldeblasiis is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ldeblasiis Find more posts by ldeblasiis Add ldeblasiis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ldeblasiis

DVD-R Media

I have a Series2 TIVO connected to a Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder. I have about 70% success using Maxell DVD-R media with the bad DVD copies failing for some unknown reason. Can this error rate be related to the media that I'm using? I've ordered Panasonic media and I'm waiting to see if that makes a difference. Using Panasonic DVD-RAMs, I haven't had any problems, but with the cost of DVD-Rs being less, I'd like to use that media for much of my recording. Also, what media is considered to be the best to use?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thiry percent of your disks blow up? I have an E50 and I'd estimate my failure rate as about 5%. I use cheap Ritek and Princo bulk disks - much cheaper than the branded disks that are blowing in your recorder. I would recommend buying a range of disks until you find one that works well for you.

I find it helps to be really paranoid about handling the disks. Even a light fingerprint will cause problems writing to the disk. Once the disks are finalised, they're a bit more robust.

I don't know how people with just an E50 cope, though. At least with a TiVo you can hold stuff on its hard drive until the DVD is finalised.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ldeblasiis is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 04:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ldeblasiis Find more posts by ldeblasiis Add ldeblasiis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ldeblasiis

DVD-R Media

I'll wait to get the Panasonic media and I'll try Verbatim as well. Hopefully it's the media that I'm having problems with and not my E50. I'll keep things posted as they happen.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged