TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> What Happened to the HUMAX TIVOS?? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Harrypr is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Harrypr Find more posts by Harrypr Add Harrypr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harrypr

What Happened to the HUMAX TIVOS??

April is gone and there is still no mention of the 2 Humax Tivos which were announced months ago for April. Even though May is still "Spring", I would have expected to see some advance details by now. I wonder if HUMAX is postponing the USA Tivo? Anyone heard anything? The Humax Website hasn't updated its Tivo information in months..Very curious... Harry

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jkovach is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jkovach Find more posts by jkovach Add jkovach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkovach
TiVoing since 1999!

A Humax CES Press release dated Jan 8, 2004 stated:

"In the start of the second quarter of 2004, Humax will introduce two standalone TiVo Series 2 DVRs consisting of an entry-level 80-hour model and a step-up 250-hour model. Later in the third quarter, Humax plans to deliver two combination DVD recordable models integrated with TiVo's best-of-breed service and robust features including home networking capability, progressive scan output and DV input."

Sounds like the standalones should be out by now, as we are now in the middle of the 2nd quarter...

Jeff

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Harrypr is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Harrypr Find more posts by Harrypr Add Harrypr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harrypr

I wonder if they might be holding out and adding cablecard access to their new models? With recent competitors like Motorola, Sony, LG and Mitsubishi offering cablecard models later this year, Humax might surprize us all and be the first to offer a CableCard Tivo. Wow, what a christmas present that would make! Harry

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbt25 is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbt25 Find more posts by mbt25 Add mbt25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbt25

Can you clairfy what you are talking about when you say "Cable Card"? I am not sure I know what that is.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by mbt25
Can you clairfy what you are talking about when you say "Cable Card"? I am not sure I know what that is.
Soon (I can't remember the exact date) cable companies will be required to have a compatible hardware that will allow a consumer to buy their own Cable Box, or any broadcast gear that may have cable compatibility built in. (I'm expecting many new TV's will have this built in as well.) What tells the cable box what cable company they're working with is not going to be the hardware, but the interchangable "Cable Card." You'll get one of these from your provider, put it in your TV, TiVo, cable box or other equipment, and you'll be good to go. When you switch providers, you'll get a new card instead of getting a whole new piece of electronic equipment.

Is this in the FAQ yet? If not, it should be. Maybe not my explanation, but a clearer more concise one.

listen
get

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbt25 is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbt25 Find more posts by mbt25 Add mbt25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbt25

Thanks. That explanation made it perfectly clear to me.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregpr is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 07:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregpr Find more posts by gregpr Add gregpr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregpr
Tragically Unhip

quote:
Originally posted by mbt25

Here's the gory technical specification

http://www.opencable.com/

The first TVs were certified last month, by Sony, Hitachi and LG.

http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/20...lay_041204.html

Join us in Las Vegas for TC-Con '05, June 13,2005!

*5130*

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged