TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> home media option <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
psquarednyc is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 05:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for psquarednyc Find more posts by psquarednyc Add psquarednyc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psquarednyc

home media option

this may actually be possible WITHOUT tivo, but i can't quite figure out how it would happen, so:

since the home media option allows you to listen to mp3s that are on your computer's hard drive and look at pictures stored there as well, it would be really super cool if you could watch video/movies that are either stored on your hard drive or via the dvd-rom drive on your computer (since i don't have a dvd player and would rather not have to buy one)

now, if this is somehow possible already, there is no need to rip into me for not knowing. i would, however, be grateful for an explanation of how it's done (if it's possible)

thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mc2wheels is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc2wheels Find more posts by mc2wheels Add mc2wheels to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc2wheels

This is why I am investigating other options instead of Tivo

Tivo HMO is fine for viewing pictures and the like, but I just had a child, and bought a digital camcorder to take home movies. Currently, I have no way to get those movies onto Tivo for viewing, so I have to use my computer. Also, while being able to put home video on my tivo would be a short term solution, I can imagine as hard drives get cheaper (and I don't want to produce dvds except for family), that I will be storing all of my media on some sort of network hard drive, and tivo currently doesn't let you specify networked storage either.

I love Tivo, but this limitation is going to force me to buy a windows media center pc or build a barebones system with snapstream beyond media on it. Since I cannot dump tivo shows to external hard drive for these computers to reach, eventually I think tivo will have to go. It's too bad. Great interface, and easy to use. I really love it for what it does, but why would I want to have multiple digital media centers?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

granoff is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 12:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for granoff Visit granoff's homepage! Find more posts by granoff Add granoff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
granoff

Hear hear. I'll second all that.

-Mark

100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
Waiting for PC-to-TiVo video capability and true web-based access...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bywi is offline Old Post 05-27-2004 06:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bywi Find more posts by bywi Add bywi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bywi

Agreed.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

There are some technical limitations that prevent this.

1) The TiVo processor is too slow to convert anything locally
2) Converting on the fly might cause PQ problems that would cause people to complain
3) MRV is slow to transfer MPEG2 files. Think how long it'd take to send your own MPEG2 files.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lredlefsen is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lredlefsen Find more posts by lredlefsen Add lredlefsen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lredlefsen

All the conversion could be done on the PC. You'd push the final movie to
the TiVo in a format that's easiest for the TiVo to display and/or easiest in
terms of storage requirements on the box.

If you're familiar with Apple's "iLife", think of the existing HMO as the TiVo
interface to iTunes and iPhoto -- now we need the interface to iMovie.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

I don't see that happening because people want it to happen fast and TiVo probably doesn't want to say that you have to have a fast computer to use that aspect.

But, you never know...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged