TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO problems with Toshiba Series 2 and D-link usb wireless adapter. <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vryce is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vryce Find more posts by Vryce Add Vryce to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vryce

HMO problems with Toshiba Series 2 and D-link usb wireless adapter.

I recently purchased a Toshiba Series 2 tivo unit. I read about the networking option on the tivo website and picked up a usb wireless adapter that they recommended. I got the D-Link DWL-122 usb adapter. I picked this model, because my router/access point is a D-link as well, DI-624.

I plugged in the usb adapter and it detected it on the Tivo and said it needed to update the drivers.
I went through that and then started to setup the wireless portion entering in the SSID, WEP code, encryption level. It said it found the network but warned that the password might be incorrect I made sure I put in the right one.

On the Tivo settings page for Phone & Network, it shows my Wireless access point name and gives a signal strength. So, I figured okay it sees the access point and can communicate with it.
I added in the mac address of the usb adapter into my router, as I use mac filtering to lock it down.

On the Tivo, I then went through the TCP/IP settings and choose obtain ip address automatically. I didn't enter in anything for the DHCP client. It then tries to check the settings and it says that it cannot find the dhcp server.

I then tried to enter in the ip stuff myself. I gave it an ip address, assigned it on the router, set up the netmask, entered in the dns, gateway info. It then tries to check and comes up with that it cannot find the router.

I don't know what to try next. It should work, but its driving me nuts.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

You may want to remove WEP and Mac filtering and see if you can get it to work. Then add each back one at a time to narrow down the problem.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vryce is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Vryce Find more posts by Vryce Add Vryce to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vryce

After it said I needed the driver update, it didn't really look like it did much. It went to a screen that gave a bunch more information to follow next.
I tried restarting the Tivo to see if that might be the problem, after the driver update. I wonder if I need to force a system update using phone line first.
I really don't want to disable mac filtering as I have about 15 mac devices configured and would hate to lose those and have to type them in again.
WEP I shouldn't have to disable because Tivo asks for that info and I've read others have had no problems when using wep.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dahacker Find more posts by dahacker Add dahacker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dahacker

Don't be silly, do what ellinj says.

Just a few:

Maybe your MAC filtering isn't working right on your router after X devices.

Maybe you've typed in your WEP key wrong.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj

I agree that WEP should work but disabling it would be the first step I would take for troubleshooting as it often gives people problems if keys are typed in correctly ect. I don't think that you need to download a software update as it did correctly identify the adapter. Although it can't hurt to force a few connections using the phoneline to get the most up to date software.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vryce is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:27 AM
Vryce

Odd... I disabled WEP and it seemed to work.

I wasn't doubting ellinj, and appreceiate the help. Its just that I want to use WEP and have read reports that it does work.

I have the mac filtering on at least, so my network is secure, I just wanted the extra security of wep.

Thanks again.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

You might want to try using the HEX key from your WEP instead of the human-readable version of the WEP passkey.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vryce is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:36 AM
Vryce

Cool.. Hex worked. It was a bit more typing.. but it connected and configured correctly.

After I typed in the hex key,. it still said "Network found. However password may be incorrect." But at least it connected. When I did that with no WEP, it said "Network settings appear to be valid."

As long as it connects, I'm happy.

Thanks again all. I'm now a happy HMO tivo'er.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:38 AM
ellinj

This was why I wanted you to disable WEP. It is the first step in determining if it was a key problem which it appeared to be. The problem with using passphrases is that not all network manufacturers use the same algorithm to generate the kep from the phrase.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Vryce is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:40 AM
Vryce

Gotcha, and that makes sense. I typed it correctly, but never thought that the hardware might not be receiving it the same.

Now, I just have to wait for my Tivo Central to allow me to remote schedule again, it says that I need to complete guided setup. Remote scheduling was working before I hooked up the network. I guess it probably takes a bit on their end. It didn't come up right away after I went through guided setup with the phone line initially.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged