TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Wireless for MRV - What's the best stuff to get <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
raitchison is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for raitchison Visit raitchison's homepage! Find more posts by raitchison Add raitchison to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raitchison
this space for rent

Question Wireless for MRV - What's the best stuff to get

My parents are getting a new TiVo and plan to connect to their existing Sony SVR-2000 for MRV.

Running network wiring isn't practical due to the layout of their house, their cable modem, SVR-2000 and TiVo will be separated by a spearate floor and or separate house add-ons (separate attics & crawl space)

Since they have no wireless at all right now I figure all I need are a decent WAP or Wireless Broadband Router and two wireless network adapters, I suspect I will have the least issues and best performance if I stick to a single brand.

I figure they want a/b/g or at least b/g for maximum future performance and compatibility.

I have a general preference for D-Link (always has been reasonabley priced and worked well) and have a general preference against Linksys for being overpriced and mediocre.

Cost is a factor, but not the only factor.

Thanks for the advice.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

HMF(including MRV) only works with Series 2 TiVo. Sadly, the Sony SVR-2000 is a Series 1, and they won't be able network it using HMF.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

raitchison is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for raitchison Visit raitchison's homepage! Find more posts by raitchison Add raitchison to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raitchison
this space for rent

Maybe it's the SVR-3000 then, itt's definitely Series 2 and already has the non MRV features of HMO turned on (though useless since they are dialing in)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

michang5 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for michang5 Find more posts by michang5 Add michang5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michang5

Sorry if my posts are becoming repetitive, but my earlier response in a different thread might help you:

- TiVo #1 -> Linksys USB200M -> Belkin F5D7230-4 router on "Access Point Mode"
- PowerBook -> Belkin 11g notebook card (F5D7010)
- PowerMac G4 desktop -> Belkin 11g PCI card (F5D7000)
- Cable modem -> Belkin F5D7230-4 router on "Bridge Mode" feeding wireless to above -> wired port -> Linksys USB200M -> TiVo #2

Everything Belkin (except USB adapters) and 11g. The Belkins are on sale and with rebates at Office Max (go now, dunno expiration).

If you want more specifics, look in the "Usb 2.0?" thread in the "TiVo Home Media Option" forum. Page 5 is where I finally started getting it figured out.

Once all of the hardware is in place, there are a few more headaches regarding getting the TiVos to recognize each other. If you need more specifics/shortcuts, let me know. I'll post more details.

Mac G4 tower with Belkin F5D7000
PowerBook with Belkin F5D7010

Last edited by michang5 on 06-25-2004 at 06:13 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale
TiVo Forum Special Member

Is 30 dollars a good price for usb200m?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

michang5 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for michang5 Find more posts by michang5 Add michang5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michang5

i got it for $24 at buy.com. if you buy a little something more and push it over $25, you get free shipping. i had to buy two for each tivo, so i qualified.

$48 for two was better than $60+tax at best buy.

Mac G4 tower with Belkin F5D7000
PowerBook with Belkin F5D7010

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged