TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Better support for standalone OTA reception with DTV STB <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pfdv is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pfdv Find more posts by pfdv Add pfdv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pfdv

Better support for standalone OTA reception with DTV STB

I have a standalone Tivo (Philips Series 1 I think) and I have dumped satellite/cable to go with over-the-air (OTA) only reception of digital TV (DTV) using a set-top box (STB). I have noticed that Tivo doesn't appear to cater very well for this situation. I have the following suggestions:

1. When selecting "Antenna" as the Tivo input (for program guide purposes), RF is the default (and unchangeable) active input. I use S-video out from the STB, so I have to work around by selecting "satellite" as my Tivo input and then have to make various changes (e.g. amending channels I receive, trying to find the closest satellite option for my local broadcast program guide data etc.). My suggestion: enable S-video in as an option for "Antenna" as the Tivo input.

2. Similarly, when using "Antenna" as the Tivo input option, having an STB is not a selectable option. So, channel changing is only provided as analog tuning on the RF input. My workaround (unsuccessful, see point 3) is to select "satellite" as my input, in an attempt to enable Tivo IR channel changing. My suggestion, provide an STB option with IR channel changing when selecting "Antenna" as the Tivo input option.

3. Broaden the available IR codebase to include DTV OTA STBs. I have been unable to find a codeset in the satellite code database that is able to change my Samsung SIR T151 successfully. The best I get are code sets that change only single channels - that is, Tivo will try to change to channel 44 and change to channel 4 twice. If anyone has suggestions...

4. And finally (and optimistically…), support for DTV sub-channels (program guide data and IR channel changing) would be great…

Regards,

Francois (long time reader, first time poster. What a great community!)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

Sorry. As you have discovered, TiVo does not support OTA or BUD STBs. If your STB allows you to program it to change channels at set times, you could do that. You could also use something like Girder to translate the IR codes from what TiVo sends to what the STB understands.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pfdv is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pfdv Find more posts by pfdv Add pfdv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pfdv

Thanks. :-(

It's a pity. Over the air reception is the best kept secret - tons of channels digitally transmitted and received, all for free. All it takes is the right antenna and STB (plenty on EBay) and voila! Paying $40 a month to get the two or three extra cable/satellite channels I'm interested in just isn't worth it. Of course, nobody has a vested interest in promoting OTA reception.

OTA users are such a small minority, so Tivo OTA users must be a miniscule set of people. A pity we're not supported.

My latest workaround - disable the IR out, take a look at the list of programs to be recorded, and change the channel manually on the STB. Not ideal, but I normally only have one must-watch program coming up. Maybe I'll spring for the HD Tivo when the price comes down, and pay only for HBO...

Francois

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged