TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Where Should I put my new DVD-RW Drive ($49.99)? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM
TiVo Forum Special Member

Question Where Should I put my new DVD-RW Drive ($49.99)?

I just picked up an I/O Magic DVD Dual Format DVD writer!!! Yipee...

The best part is that I got if for $49.99 after rebate at Staples this morning...

Now my question: Which drive do I yank from my system? The DVD-ROM or the CD Writer?

I am just not sure which is better... to have two writer drives, or to have two drives (a reader and a writer) that can handle both CD and DVD formats...

I am leaning towards yanking the CDRW drive and keeping the DVD Rom...

Opinions please! Thanks!

Universal Remote: One For All - URC6131
Xantech Xtra Link2 (Remote Extender)
ChannelPlus 3025 Modulator/Video Distribution

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

The DVD-ROM drive is now useless. There's no real reason for it.

At least with the CDRW drive you can write CDs if you didn't want to use your DVD drive to do it. I don't know about the drive you got, but the CDRW drives on my machines burn CDs faster than my DVD burner does. So I'll usually burn all my CDs in the CDRW drives.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM

Ah... Hmmm...

Okay, my reasoning was that I thought the DVD-ROM would have a faster read speed, and it would also allow me to read a DVD on one drive, while writing to the other (without swapping during a DVD backup/copy)...

I am actually not sure of the specs of my DVD-ROM though...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Put it in the mailbox to my address

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:06 AM
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by csyria
Put it in the mailbox to my address

BTW, the Staples sale is still on...but it is an 'in-store' only sale... I think it goes on for a week...or while supplies last... $30.00 rebate makes it $49.99 in the end...

In addition to my first question, now that I have a dual format, I am trying to figure out which format to start out with... The +/- thing is pretty darn confusing...I don't need that many options in my life...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Hate to disagree with Bryan, but a DVD-RW makes an OK CD burner. Keep the DVD-ROM so that you can rip & burn DVDs using any of a number of systems (DVDShrink, etc.).

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for transpizzle Find more posts by transpizzle Add transpizzle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

I use +R media. I have that same drive. Works nicely.
Amazong has some good deals going on, I just ordered these.
Ridata DVD+R 8x 50-pack Spindle

Ridata DVD+RW 4x 25-pack Spindle

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Ridatas appear to be pretty reliable. True Riteks are the best, but I've had good luck with cheap Ridata and Verbatims.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by Francesco
Hate to disagree with Bryan, but a DVD-RW makes an OK CD burner. Keep the DVD-ROM so that you can rip & burn DVDs using any of a number of systems (DVDShrink, etc.).

I'm not saying it doesn't make an ok CD burner, just that my CDRW drives burn CDs much faster than my DVD burner can. His burner might burn them just as fast.

As for having two drives to make copies from, I've always used DVDShrink and copied the material to the HD, then the DVD so I don't know anything about doing it straight from drive to drive.

To me the determining factor would be the CD burn speed. If the CDRW isn't faster than the DVD burner then it wouldn't matter to me which stayed in.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:44 AM
Francesco

Good points. I tend to rip with a fast DVD-ROM (Pioneer A-500) and burn with a pretty fast DVD-RW (Pioneer DVR-105). Nero makes it almost seamless.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Porterx is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Porterx Find more posts by Porterx Add Porterx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Porterx

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
I'm not saying it doesn't make an ok CD burner, just that my CDRW drives burn CDs much faster than my DVD burner can. His burner might burn them just as fast.

As for having two drives to make copies from, I've always used DVDShrink and copied the material to the HD, then the DVD so I don't know anything about doing it straight from drive to drive.

To me the determining factor would be the CD burn speed. If the CDRW isn't faster than the DVD burner then it wouldn't matter to me which stayed in.

I agree with Francesco for using 2 drives with dvdshrink, etc. Much easier. Even if you use 2 drives with dvdshrink, the encoding is still written to the hard drive. 2 drives just makes it easier because you don't have to swap out originals for blanks. Since it's on the hard drive, you can make multiple copies with nero, or the like, from the hard drive.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:09 AM
MikeekiM

Thanks for the opinions!!!

So some more details... here are the speeds for the I/O Magic DVD-Writer drive (from the back of the box):

Write Speeds:
* DVD+R = 8X
* DVD-R = 4X
* DVD+RW = 4X
* DVD-RW = 2X
* CD-R = 40X
* CD-RW = 24X

Read Speeds:
* CD-ROM = 40X
* DVD-ROM = 12X

Not sure of the DVD-ROM or CDRW speeds of the drives installed in my computer at the moment... I will need to go to the HP site and find out if I can get the specs... It is an HP Pavilion 751n...

EDIT: From HP's website...here is what the speed are for the current drives...

DVD drive - 16x
CD-RW drive - 24x10x40

Thanks all!!!

Last edited by MikeekiM on 06-28-2004 at 08:43 AM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

Does that drive had a riplock on it? My old Sony DRU500 was riplocked to 2X and my NEC 2500A is riplocked at 4X (I don't really like to install non-OEM riplock-less firmware) so I keep my DVD-ROM around because it can rip at up to 10X.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:34 AM
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by logic88
Does that drive had a riplock on it? My old Sony DRU500 was riplocked to 2X and my NEC 2500A is riplocked at 4X (I don't really like to install non-OEM riplock-less firmware) so I keep my DVD-ROM around because it can rip at up to 10X.

A riplock? That stinks... Didn't know something like that existed...

How do I find out? I can't imagine it is something that would be on the side of the box in the published specs...or would it?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

quote:
Originally posted by MikeekiM
A riplock? That stinks... Didn't know something like that existed...

How do I find out? I can't imagine it is something that would be on the side of the box in the published specs...or would it?

Not that I know of. You just have to try it, I suppose. Use DVD Decrypter to rip a disc and it should let you know what the max rip rate is.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc

Older DVD-RW and +RW drives were significantly slower in CD writing speed than their CD-RW counterparts from that generation. My pioneer DVD-RW drive can only write cd's at 8x.

In fact, when +RW drives first hit the market, they were touted as having a higher write speed for CD's as one of their advantages, but IIRC, they only burned at 24x while CD-RW drives were hitting 40x.

Things have changed a bit now

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:55 AM
logic88

quote:
Originally posted by Francesco
Ridatas appear to be pretty reliable. True Riteks are the best, but I've had good luck with cheap Ridata and Verbatims.

Aren't RiData's made by Ritek? The disc ID seems to be exactly the same for RiData as for Ritek.

http://www.ritekusa.com/abpress_news.asp?news=3

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:19 AM
MikeekiM

Two More Questions:

1. Roxio Media Creator 6 - The drive came with Roxio Media Creater 6 (basic edition is my assumption)... I have Roxio's CD Creator Deluxe (version 5 I think), which includes stuff that aren't included in the basic edition...

If I install the software that came with the DVD writer, will it clobber my old version... can both co-exist?

2. Analog Audio Cable to Motherboard - I just installed the drive and neither of my previous drives had an analog audio cable attached and connected to the motherboard...

I took the analog cable and connected it to the motherboard... But I don't know what, if any, benefits I will get from doing this... Is this a good thing, or should have just left well enough alone and not connect it... How do I know it is even doing anything at all?

Thanks!

Last edited by MikeekiM on 06-28-2004 at 10:40 AM

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iKwak is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iKwak Visit iKwak's homepage! Find more posts by iKwak Add iKwak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iKwak

That is a great price! I remember when DVDRW was around $300 bucks.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:38 PM
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by iKwak
That is a great price! I remember when DVDRW was around $300 bucks.

The price is good until July 10th at Staples... $49.94 after rebate to be exact... There is a $50 instant savings and $30 mail in rebate...

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged