TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> TCM-Abandoning the Letterbox? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pseudonym is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pseudonym Find more posts by pseudonym Add pseudonym to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pseudonym

TCM-Abandoning the Letterbox?

The last few movies I've Tivo'd off TCM (Around The World in 80 Days
and All That Heaven Allows come to mind) have been pan and scan,
despite their original widescreen ratios. TCM almost always has shown
letterbox versions of such films in the past, unless so such transfer
was available. I doubt that is the case for either of these movies,
especially "80 Days".

So what gives? Is this a trend, or an aberration? Has anyone else
noticed this?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vman41 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vman41 Find more posts by vman41 Add vman41 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vman41
Advanced Member

This weekend, they showed a movie in 4:3 format where the guide data clearly indicated letterbox. Lately they've been showing a lot of pre-1950s
movies, so there hasn't been a lot of opportunity for letterbox. I recall occasions where they show a P&S version of the movie early in the evening and then show a letterbox version of later that night.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pseudonym is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pseudonym Find more posts by pseudonym Add pseudonym to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pseudonym

quote:
Originally posted by vman41
This weekend, they showed a movie in 4:3 format where the guide data clearly indicated letterbox. Lately they've been showing a lot of pre-1950s
movies, so there hasn't been a lot of opportunity for letterbox. I recall occasions where they show a P&S version of the movie early in the evening and then show a letterbox version of later that night.

I've seen other networks do this (Sci-Fi, AMC), but not TCM that I recall. They've always shown letterbox whenever possible. I noticed the letterbox description in the program guide as well, and this has me worried, as I'm not a fan of pan and scan, and TCM has been one of my favorite networks for a long time.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vman41 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vman41 Find more posts by vman41 Add vman41 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vman41
Advanced Member

The TCM web site runs some forums, maybe you should ask there. Of the posts mentioning letterbox, one thread talks a lot about the "Around the World in 80 Days" airings.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard
TiVo Forum Special Member

I hope the answer is no. TCM usually shows OAR when possible and has for as long as I have been watching. TCM is far and away the the channel I record the most. They have a great selection of films and usually only show any given film once or twice in a month so repeats are infrequent and variety available to record is great.

TCM is an old movie dream channel and seems almost too good to be true, I keep expecting something to go wrong like what happened to AMC which at one time was also very good.

Chris

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rickertk is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rickertk Find more posts by rickertk Add rickertk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Looking through the TCM forums, for this particular movie, what seems to be the case is that of the versions they can get hold of, there is a P+S which is otherwise complete (lengthwise), and a letterboxed but cut version. It was released to DVD in May ( I think this was a complete letterboxed version), but apparently they can't get broadcast rights to that version for 6 months from the DVD release.

Keith

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

The full-screen version is all that was available on laserdisc for lots of years, too, btw...I have a copy and was disappointed it wasn't available in letterbox back in the day.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged