TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Where is this HD SA TiVo product? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Where is this HD SA TiVo product?

http://www.pbase.com/image/10792288

January 9, 2003 - Consumer Electronics Show, Las Vegas, NV – January 9, 2003 -- TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), today announced it has developed the first DVR platform that supports recording in High Definition Television formats. The reference design will be licensed to leading CE manufacturers who are expected to offer the new DVR to consumers by the end of the year.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

I'm guessing they realized how difficult a product that would be to implement. You couldn't record over component video, as the hardware necessary to do the encoding would be outrageously expensive. If you're taking data in via DVI, you have other issues of HDCP to deal with.

I'm guessing we'll see a combination HD CableCARD/ATSC box before a true standalone recorder.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rickertk is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rickertk Find more posts by rickertk Add rickertk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Notice the phrases "reference design", "will be licensed to", and "expected to offer". Best guess is that given the limitations of the device (can only record OTA HD), none of the CE manufacturers wanted to go ahead and market it. Nothing in that was a promise that this device would be brought to market.

Keith

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard
TiVo Forum Special Member

This has been covered many times. TiVo can build it but no company is interested. I think it would be a very good niche market product. I guess the market is so minuscule, it isn't of interest to anybody. The non-TiVo HD PVRs like the LG LST-3410A aren't big sellers and are very expensive. LG would have been the perfect partner for this product but instead markets their own very limited design.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Gerhard on 06-29-2004 at 05:28 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

samkuhn is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for samkuhn Find more posts by samkuhn Add samkuhn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
samkuhn

quote:
I'm guessing we'll see a combination HD CableCARD/ATSC box before a true standalone recorder.

I think that is almost certainly true. They need a critical mass for the hardware, and have cable card and OTA would be pretty much the only way to do it now. Besides, how many people that want HDTV OTA, much less HDTV Tivo, don't have cable that they also want to record?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged