TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> DVR-810H DVD Media? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JoshNJ is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoshNJ Find more posts by JoshNJ Add JoshNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoshNJ

Question DVR-810H DVD Media?

What is the best dvd-rw and dvd-r media to use in the Pioneer DVR-810H?

Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 06:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

This is a case where cheap isn't a good idea. Use a brand name like Verbatim or Memorex. And, as you noted, the 810 uses the -R and -RW format.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

Ironically, many reports say that Verbatim is one of the worst. Ask ten people, and you'll get ten recommendations, so here's mine: Ritek. Pretty inexpensive and very reliable.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

Interesting. I'm using Verbatim +R and +RW with my Philips DVDR985. Maybe the "-" versions aren't as good. I have heard of Ritek and may try them when I need more.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bicker is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 06:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bicker Visit bicker's homepage! Find more posts by bicker Add bicker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bicker

Pioneer is putting their name on some media, so I'll use that for now.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DVDivo Tim is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DVDivo Tim Find more posts by DVDivo Tim Add DVDivo Tim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DVDivo Tim

I've successfully used Memorex, TDK, Verbatim, and Sony DVD-RWs on my 810H.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJJB is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJJB Find more posts by JJJB Add JJJB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJJB

This site has some of the best prices on media I've seen.Where can you beat 25 DVD-RW 's for around 25 bucks !! My friend turned me to this site and I just ordered.

http://www.shop4tech.com/

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deja-vue is offline Old Post 11-29-2003 11:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deja-vue Visit Deja-vue's homepage! Find more posts by Deja-vue Add Deja-vue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deja-vue
Challenge everything

I use Ritek printable Media with my 810H.
Never had a problem.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 11-29-2003 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

quote:
Originally posted by JJJB
This site has some of the best prices on media I've seen.Where can you beat 25 DVD-RW 's for around 25 bucks !! My friend turned me to this site and I just ordered.

http://www.shop4tech.com/

This is my site too. I have purchased the Leda (I think that is what it is called) stuff for a long time now. Not one coaster has been produced on my machine. I just bought the DVD-R media that can be put into a inkjet printer and written on ($50 for 50). I can't wait to see how good that stuff is.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boone is offline Old Post 11-30-2003 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for boone Find more posts by boone Add boone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boone

I have purchased from shop4tech as well no problem with cheap media.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
This is a case where cheap isn't a good idea. Use a brand name like Verbatim or Memorex. And, as you noted, the 810 uses the -R and -RW format.

Everything i read sid the same hting but to double check on my own, i picked up a couple sampler packs from supermediastore.com They put a couple of each off brand cheapo blanj in a bundle so you can try them out in your situation and see if they work without having to buy 100 at a clip.

Well so far, i havent found a brand that wouldnt burn in the pioneer or play in my laptop or in my toshiba dvd player.

I think MAYBE some of the 4x media isnt burning as fast as it should but i havent bothered to really pay attention since i usually just set it and forget it. So i'm going to just buy the cheapest. So I'm going the cheap route myself.

From the little bit of manufacturer info i can find on the subject, it seems the burners are the isses and that sometimes firmware upgrades fix the iussue, so maybe since the technology is a year or more old, they have worked out the kinks in the firmware? Just a guess

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lensman is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lensman Find more posts by Lensman Add Lensman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lensman

I've ordered Ritek DVD-R's and DVD-RW's from www.meritline.com.

I've found this site to be an interesting resource when looking for DVD media:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Here's a link to search for media compatibility for DVD-RW's on our Pioneer burner.

Here's a link to search for media compatibility for DVD-R's on our Pioneer burner.

You should also check out ratings on the discs you're going to buy across players to get a more statistically significant sample.

Looks like OPTODISC's are good for DVD-RW's and that there are a variety of good DVD-R choices.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

I just bought 25 4x Memorex brand DVD-Rs from Amazon.com for $29.95 w/free shipping. That's the best deal I've seen on name brand DVD-Rs in low quantities.

I also bought a 3 pack of those Verbatim Movie Reel style DVDs because I thought they looked cool. However those were almost $14, so not a deal by any stretch.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lensman is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lensman Find more posts by Lensman Add Lensman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lensman

Officemax has had some good specials on cheap DVD-R's. I can't vouch for the quality, but they are running an unbelievable special on 50 DVD-R's for $9.99 after rebate this week only.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smccune is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 09:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smccune Visit smccune's homepage! Find more posts by smccune Add smccune to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smccune

I have been using CompUSA's store brand ($1 a piece) VERY successfully. I don't really keep track of how long it takes to record the DVD's but it's not too long that I notice.

They play on the Pioneer AND my Thinkpad notebook.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macman00 is offline Old Post 02-29-2004 03:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for macman00 Visit macman00's homepage! Find more posts by macman00 Add macman00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macman00

I found memorx the best, never a bad copy. I buy from here:http://www.welovemacs.com/servers.html

Thanks

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Beachbum55 is offline Old Post 02-29-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Beachbum55 Find more posts by Beachbum55 Add Beachbum55 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beachbum55

I've been using the Ritek brand that I purchased at shop4tech and the seem to be working fine - no duds. I also bought some Memorex 4x because there was a deal at Office Max. My goal is to keep the price per DVD at $1 or less. That way I can justify burning a couple of programs to DVD, watch them in another room, then toss them.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danylati is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 05:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danylati Find more posts by danylati Add danylati to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danylati

i buy a PENGO dvd-rw and is really bad with the 810h, the first time failed when finalizing, and the second time this failed when preparing the recording

tomorrow i buy a verbatim dvd-rw

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 05:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

quote:
Originally posted by cptodd
This is my site too. I have purchased the Leda (I think that is what it is called) stuff for a long time now. Not one coaster has been produced on my machine. I just bought the DVD-R media that can be put into a inkjet printer and written on ($50 for 50). I can't wait to see how good that stuff is.

Well I found out that they did not work well at all. I went back to the Leda brand which I think is about $42 for 50 and $81 for 100?

go to www.shop4tech.com for the prices!

Did I also mention that they work in my Powerbook?

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000

quote:
Originally posted by Beachbum55
I've been using the Ritek brand that I purchased at shop4tech and the seem to be working fine - no duds. I also bought some Memorex 4x because there was a deal at Office Max. My goal is to keep the price per DVD at $1 or less. That way I can justify burning a couple of programs to DVD, watch them in another room, then toss them.
I've been using Meritline.com and buying their house -rw media. It works fantastic. I use a dry erase marker with it so I can reuse it later after I've watched the programs. I've archived at least 25 movies and tons of TV programs... I'm on my second stack of 50 and have never had a problem related to that media. I highly recommend them for your use especially.. if you use them more than once to watch a program in a different room it's much cheaper than a buck a DVD. Not that it really matters, but they LOOK great as well, with a nice smooth white backing that a marker works well on.

listen
get

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged