TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R for Movies SOAK <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BeanMeScot is offline Old Post 03-14-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BeanMeScot Find more posts by BeanMeScot Add BeanMeScot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BeanMeScot
TiVo Forum Special Member

DVD-R for Movies SOAK

I purchased a DVD recorder on Black Friday. I have been purchasing inexpensive DVD-Rs for the thing but even the DVD Recorder that created them can't always read them later. I need some quality DVD-R's that will work well with a Panasonic DVD recorder for the creation of movies that don't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

montag is offline Old Post 03-14-2004 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for montag Find more posts by montag Add montag to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
montag
Rebel Without a Home

Ritek are supposed to be pretty darn good for a decent price. Someone will chime in and tell you where to get them.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 12:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

Best buy has TDK's on special:

http://bestbuy.dailyshopper.com/ind...niqueid=2919566

$25 for a 25 pack.

Even without the sale price it comes up to about $2 per disc, not bad for TDK. You can choose either DVD-R or +R.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

Last edited by Raj on 03-15-2004 at 01:40 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

montag is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for montag Find more posts by montag Add montag to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
montag
Rebel Without a Home

quote:
Originally posted by Raj
Best buy has TDK's on special after rebate:

http://bestbuy.dailyshopper.com/ind...niqueid=2919566

It comes up to about $2 per disc, not bad for TDK. You can choose either DVD-R or +R.

That's some interesting math there raj!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrboo is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrboo Find more posts by mrboo Add mrboo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrboo
Advanced Member

I stick with name brands, memorex and tdk work for me.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

Jump on this NOW. It's a special at Office Depot.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...y&keyword1=%2DR

~$62 for 100 +R or -R Memorex discs. Free S+H. No rebates.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by montag
That's some interesting math there raj!

Oops!

I meant: (without the rebate it's $49.99 )so it comes up to $2 per disc.

With the rebate it's $1 per disc plus tax.

Edit: I se it's just "sale" and not rebate. So you may want to jump on this.

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 01:38 AM
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by mrboo
I stick with name brands, memorex and tdk work for me.

You'll want to stick with name brands especially when dealing with recordable DVD's. There's less tolerance for cheapie brand DVD's. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Thanks for the heads up, holee. I just ordered this good deal on Memorex 4x media!

One thing worth mentioning though:
A 1x or 2x DVD burner writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from a 2x DVD burner, you should be looking for 2x media.

That said, some folks like burning their DVD content (movies, especially) at 1x anyway, hoping for the best compatibility and reliability of their burns. So getting 4x media (even if their DVD burner is only capable of 1x or 2x) still works for them... especially when the deal is as good as the one holee has pointed out.

I have a 2x SuperDrive in my PowerBook but still went for it...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

So which are better, TDK or Memorex?

The Office Depot deal on Memorex works out to about $0.65 a disk.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
So which are better, TDK or Memorex?

The Office Depot deal on Memorex works out to about $0.65 a disk.

I've used both with no problems so far. The thing is, TDK and Memorex discs aren't TDK or Memorex. They're often re-badged Ricoh, CMC or other brands. So quality can vary.

I've bought only Memorex and TDK's, mostly because they're the cheapest name brands I can get. Out of around 150 blank DVS's, I've only had one coaster, and that was a TDK. But I don't think that's significant.

Last edited by holee on 03-15-2004 at 03:26 AM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 03:44 AM
holee
Uncertain

I gotta say, I'm so glad I have a DVD burner nowadays. With Bit Torrent, I find I end up downloading several gigabytes per week. There's just not enough affordable hard drive space to get it all to work out. So now I've got stacks of burned DVD's. It's like crack. You can't stop.

Well you can once you run out of blank DVD's. Which is why I'm glad I found the Office Depot deal this morning.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

quote:
Originally posted by holee
It's like crack. You can't stop. Well you can once you run out of blank DVD's.
There's another way: Use up your DVD writer. That happened to my Pioneer A05 a few weeks back. Out with that, in with $101 NEC ND-2500A. Hopefully I'll get more out of this one than the other one.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dave is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dave Find more posts by dave Add dave to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave

DVD Media Review

Before you buy, take a look here

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

Philips 88 Hr SA
Philips 60 Hr SA

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 06:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

quote:
Originally posted by holee
I've used both with no problems so far. The thing is, TDK and Memorex discs aren't TDK or Memorex. They're often re-badged Ricoh, CMC or other brands. So quality can vary.

That's one reason why I buy bulk Riteks instead of so called "name brands". Sometimes you can't be sure who is OEMing the media for TDK or Memorex while you always get Ritek when you order bulk Ritek (unless you are ordering from a shady source). I like to use Ritek whenever possible as I've had very good success with their media. Probably have gone through over 500 pieces now.

I use either DVD Decrypter or DVD Info to find out who actually made the media. (The second link is to Meritline's hosted zip for v1.07 of DVD Info. V2 of DVD Info seems to be commercial now.)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BeanMeScot is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 07:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BeanMeScot Find more posts by BeanMeScot Add BeanMeScot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BeanMeScot

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
Thanks for the heads up, holee. I just ordered this good deal on Memorex 4x media!

One thing worth mentioning though:
A 1x or 2x DVD burner writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from a 2x DVD burner, you should be looking for 2x media.

That said, some folks like burning their DVD content (movies, especially) at 1x anyway, hoping for the best compatibility and reliability of their burns. So getting 4x media (even if their DVD burner is only capable of 1x or 2x) still works for them... especially when the deal is as good as the one holee has pointed out.

I have a 2x SuperDrive in my PowerBook but still went for it...

I wondered about this. This is a stand alone DVD Recorder. What speed do those usually work best with?

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 07:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

I pulled the trigger on the Memorex deal from Office Depot. I've only opened one of the cake boxes (the deal is 2 packs of 50), but the discs are ProDiscS03 (4X) media. The reports on dvdrhelp seem very positive on this brand, so I'm hopeful. I burned and verified one that was almost completely full (4.705GB out of 4.707GB) and it was perfect.

What a deal, 100 4X DVD-R for less than $65 out the door!

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 07:54 AM
Fofer

quote:
Originally posted by BeanMeScot
I wondered about this. This is a stand alone DVD Recorder. What speed do those usually work best with?

What make and model do you have? Somewhere in the manual it should state it's technical specs, and what speed it's capable of burning at.

I too picked up the DVD-R's from Office Depot after paying for them online. I haven't opened them yet but am thankful I got in on the good deal.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 09:09 AM
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

As far as brands go, I've had an equal experience with both. The TDK media I've tried does seem to be of a much higher quality than Memorex though.

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 10:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg

With the Panasonic recorder, the Memorex disks are a little suspect. Let us know how they work for you.

I've only used TDK in my Panasonic and out of about 200 DVDs I've had one coaster, and I think that was my fault. The TDKs go on sale at Best Buy for $1 each (in either the 25 or 100 packs) about every three or four weeks.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged