TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Pioneer DVD-R TiVo question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
manielse is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for manielse Visit manielse's homepage! Find more posts by manielse Add manielse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
manielse

Pioneer DVD-R TiVo question

I have two TiVo's at home (both currently unhacked) and one is a Pioneer DVD-R burner. As you know, I currently can't burn programs that were recorded on the second TiVo.

Without naming programs so I don't get flaimed, if I hacked my TiVos would I be able to burn the transfered programs? I'm not interested in burning them on a PC so even the TiVo2Go solution is not appealing to me. I bought this TiVo DVD-R for a reason....

I'm sure someone out here has tried this already.

Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

This would not be the right place to look for that sort of information. This site frowns on working around this sort of restriction.

I think the stream is encrypted, which makes things difficult, to say the least.

Even without the encryption, I think the stream from the other TiVo is in the wrong format for writing to DVD, so you'd have to reprocess the stream on a PC.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

It's pretty clear from what TiVo has said that the Pioneer won't record to DVD anything that wasn't recorded on that box because the on-disk format is different. Even if you use HMO to move shows from another S2, the moved shows won't transfer to DVD.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

manielse is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for manielse Visit manielse's homepage! Find more posts by manielse Add manielse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
manielse

Thanks Robert and Steve, I know the current restriction in the TiVo software but was hoping to get a simple Yes from somebody that already has access to the OS. I didn't want to get into the details of how it was done here as I knew this was not a "favorable topic" for details.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Britlion is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 12:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Britlion Find more posts by Britlion Add Britlion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Britlion

This restriction does bug me. We have a pioneer dvr57 and an 810 - both are by pioneer, both are running the same software version, and both have DVD recorders.

Now, given I can record to DVD on both, this might not be a big restriction, but once in a while I can see me wanting to concatenate recordings from both tivos onto one disc.

I don't for one second believe that the two are using a different format for the file. My tivo says this is the case. I'm certain that it is lying - the two recorders are damn near identical. Has anyone tried this with two identical recorders? *curious*

*grr* I don't really understand why they put this restriction in place, truth told.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

I absolutely do believe that the recordings on the Pioneer models are different than on other TiVo standalones. And I would expect that the on-disk format to be the same between the two Pioneers.

I am somewhat astonished that it won't allow you to record on one Pioneer a show recorded on another Pioneer. That must be a quirk of the way HMO works.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

manielse is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 01:44 AM
manielse

Check out the 5th post here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...9&highlight=810

Two 810 models can't record each others shows. This to me tells me that it's a problem with the HMO software unless the stream transfers programs in a different format, hense why I asked my original post. I'm not crazy about hacking my TiVos (mostly due to fear of blowing up the hard drive), but this is a major frustration point for me. Call me crazy but I don't see what exactly TiVo feels this violates when soon you can do it on a PC.

If TiVo Inc would at least say they're fixing this around the same time as Tivo2Go, I'd be happy.

Sorry this has gone off the "hack" topic as I'd love to get into more details on how I believe it can be fixed but I respect the forums restrictions on the manner.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged