TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Confused about routers <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

Confused about routers

Wow, there is an overload on information about routers. If I purchased the Netgear WGT624 Super G 108 Mbps Wireless Router then I would have to get a "B" adaptor for the Tivo even though my computer could use a "G" adaptor. This would however make the entire network run at "B" speeds though.

Is this what happens in a nutshell?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakerock is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakerock Find more posts by jakerock Add jakerock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakerock
Spelling less well

I think it is more complicated than that actually. I think the computer would run at G speed when the TiVo isn't using its connection. The TiVo isn't always connected to the best of my knowledge. But when the B connection is there I think the G connection degrades to less than B.

Someone should be along shortly to correct my inaccuracies.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

Well, some of the new speed enhanced routers can run B and G and enhanced proprietary clients at independent speeds, but i don't know if the super G is one of the systems that can do this. It was the first enhanced speed system, and is the piggies one that takes up like most the the spectrum and is not nice to neighbors. Check with netgear for that info. If it is like a regualr g router, then Jake is right about the speeds. if you need the extra speed for MRV, or the netgear cannot run different speeds simultaneously, then you may want to consider getting the super G acess point which can act as a bridge, and hooking that up with ethernet to a wired USB adapter hooked up to TiVo in conjunction with a super g router.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

One other thing to consider is whether you care. If you're just using the router for the Internet, it shouldn't matter because "b" is almost certainly faster than your connection. It's only if and when you transfer files, etc.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged