TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Forum Extras > Forum Feedback
>>> Subscriptions <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Angry Subscriptions

Please for the LOVE OF GOD add a Subscription account for $10 a year that gives us unlimited Private Message mailbox and removes the 60 second limit when posting or replying to messages.

My PM mailbox is always nearly full and there's no way to download a copy of my PMs (vB3 gives you this option).

The 60 second limit doesn't stop spammers any more than a 30 second limit would. It prevents helpful people from answering more questions. People have said that the 60 second rule simply prevents short or flippant answers. This is not true.

I type 75wpm and I have had DOZENS of messages, some 2-3 paragraphs long, completely blown away by the 60 second rule. For any lengthy posts, I now use an external word processor to type my messages. This prevents me from contributing more to the forum.

Also, because all the forum messages are automatically marked read after 15 minutes, I instead open the forum index and Shift-Click each topic I want to read and then write Quick Replies in each one. So I've got 20-30 replies queued up and I switch back and forth between them, waiting for the 60 second rule to expire until I can hit Send. Sometimes I will click too soon on one and when I click BACK, the message has been cleared.

I just wrote 3 Private Message replies to people with the "Delete Original" checkbox checked (to deal with the tiny mailbox). Not only did 1 message get blocked by the 60 second rule, but when I hit Back, not only was MY reply deleted, but THEIR message was deleted so now I can't even reply to their message!!

I can't believe more people aren't clamoring for this!

I'd gladly pay $10 or more a year to fix these 2 issues.

Last edited by feldon23 on 02-13-2004 at 02:25 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

Hummm...first and foremost....Go into the PM area...use the check boxes, and then at the bottom, click E-MAIL!!!!! We have had that option for a very long time. Then go back and remove some of your messages.

Sorry you type so fast. Slow down and think before you post. Have some coffee. Watch a show you have on TiVo.

Now Booking for Oct. 29th Sailing.

Click For More Information

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

In other words "We don't need your 'helpful replies'."

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 04:05 AM
feldon23
MythBuster

AND I JUST LOST A GOD DAMN 2 paragraph MESSAGE BECAUSE OF THE 60 SECOND RULE!!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

I am sorry, but what gets me is you know about the rule...yet you still have issues with the posts like you just mentioned above.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:05 AM
feldon23
MythBuster

Yeah, it's amazing that I might actually want to use the forum in SPITE of the rules and the expectations you've given some of the users to "Expect courteous, instant help no matter how simple the question."

You seem to think that the popularity of the forum somehow proves that you've reached perfection. It doesn't. People will accept something that's 80% good and 20% not-so-good.

You know what amazes me is how your forum and my forum have the same basic philosophy and the same high quality of users, but the execution is so different. My forum is driven by the users. Your forum almost operates

I still haven't seen any logical explanation for the 60 second rule.

Short one-word answers?
There's a hack for vB2 (I see you're peppering vB2 with more hacks as we speak -- 'Subscribed') and a built-in feature for vB3 for this.
Spam?
Once you find someone spamming, you can purge all posts by that user in 1 button press. A 30 second limit would double the spam, not multiply it by 10. Also I have yet to see widespread spam that would require this. You've already blocked URLs from people with <5 posts.

I think you're focusing on one problem that pales in comparison to bigger problems. For every 1 person who might spam, you have 10 asking "What's a multiswitch?" which sets off flamewars and stresses out the forum regulars.

Last edited by feldon23 on 02-14-2004 at 07:14 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:08 AM
David Bott
Administrator

You know...let me go one step further. I just looked up your posts and looking at your posting times. Know what? It really should not affect you as much as you are saying. I only find a few case where it may have based on the posting times. Going further, those posts that are close together in time are more or line one or two line posts.

I am sorry, but I think you are really taking this a little to far. Especially when you post the line in your post.

Oh...did you find the e-mail PM button?

Last edited by David Bott on 02-14-2004 at 07:16 AM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:11 AM
David Bott
Administrator

"I still haven't seen any logical explanation for the 60 second rule."

Don't recall you asking for one. It is for flood control and spamming. (Lets the server breath.) Oh, and to compare the operation of your forum to this one or AVS is a far shot. Meaning you are really not close to dealing with the traffic issues/server issues. Sorry....but not really the same.

This choice of setting really does not affect 99% of the people on this site or even AVS Forum with over 3,000 new posts a day.

I am not going to continue to argue this with you. It is more or less pointless. Please do not continue to attack this in posts like you have been by quoting the timer message.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:16 AM
feldon23
MythBuster

Like I said, I'd be glad to see a subscription service. We'd get a little star next to our name, have a larger Private Message box, reduce the 60-second rule to 30-minute rule, and maybe 5-10 mb of space to post images.

quote:
Please do not continue to attack this in posts like you have been by quoting the timer message.

What do you want me to do when a 2 paragraph informative post gets deleted because I clicked Send 30-40 seconds AFTER I posted a short post in another thread? Bang my head on the wall?

I fully expect the topic to be closed at this point. Anyone who has strongly disagreed has simply left the forums. Which I did for almost a year, but weighed things out and felt that I could be useful in the HDTV TiVo forum.

Last edited by feldon23 on 02-14-2004 at 07:21 AM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 07:19 AM
David Bott
Administrator

Sorry...not looking to add a subscription service (I already have a hack I bought that was used on AVS forum a special forum area.). I am not here to make $ from the members. (Sponsors are here to support site operations.) The subscription service could open me then up to legal issues and member issues when money is concerned.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kilcher is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 01:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kilcher Find more posts by kilcher Add kilcher to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kilcher

A 60 second rule is the default and pretty much standard on all boards. I have people bugging me to disable it on mine too but those people tend to use it for chit-chat. I'm not saying you do, I'm not familiar with your posts. I'm just saying more people may abuse it than would benefit from it.

If I could find a way to charge for lowering the limit I would. I'd make a ton.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 01:55 PM
feldon23
MythBuster

I set mine to 30 seconds over 2 years ago based on my experiences on this forum.

So far, I have received 0 complaints from my 1,100 members.

As for the fear of chit-chat, the #1 subforum here is the dedicated Coffee House which has 81,000 posts (it probably had 3x that before the Archiving).

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobnick is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobnick Find more posts by bobnick Add bobnick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobnick
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Bott

I am sorry, but I think you are really taking this a little to far. Especially when you post the line in your post.

Actually, this crazy timing is the most frustrating thing about this forum. The points above about changing the 60 seconds down to 30 seconds are very true - it'll make next to no difference in spam.
I'm giving up my time to help people - and I'm having to drag my heals when replying. There's the same strain on the servcer, it's just I'm having to waste my time.

With the increase in tabbed browsing, decent replies can be finished in far less than a minute.
The number of decent posts that have been swallowed up by the time-gap rule must be huge.

Why have 60 seconds in place, when 30 or 45 would still stop the spam and yet allow members to help more easily?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 06:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
As for the fear of chit-chat, the #1 subforum here is the dedicated Coffee House which has 81,000 posts (it probably had 3x that before the Archiving).
You're forgetting Happy Hour with over 400k posts. I believe that's where most of the chit-chat "abuse" would occur.

I don't know if separate posting rules can be applied.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 08:17 PM
David Bott
Administrator

quote:
"You're forgetting Happy Hour with over 400k posts. I believe that's where most of the chit-chat "abuse" would occur.

I don't know if separate posting rules can be applied."

Your are correct on both parts. Sorry, I am not going to change this setting at this time. I see no real reason to and it is in place for more than just spam control as mentioned.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 02-23-2004 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Feldon,

When you get hit by the 60 second rule, instead of hitting "back" in your browser, just wait a few seconds and hit "reload."

Your browser will attempt to send the message again, and if the time limit has elapsed, you won't lose it.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

Feldon hasn't posted in over a year - why the bump?

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 04:07 AM
David Bott
Administrator

02-12-2004 is the post date of this thread ybrew.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

I coulda sworn it was 2003. And I even checked Feldon's profle. Again, I coulda sworn 2003 there too.

I hadn't seen him post in a long time.

Nevermind.

Hi feldon, long time no see!

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 04:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

Feldon's been VERY busy in the HDTV TiVo area.

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged