TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Forum Extras > Forum Feedback
>>> Allowing threads to die a natural death <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dswallow is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Allowing threads to die a natural death

Is there any sort of patch available that would automatically disallow posting to threads more than some given period of time after the last post in them?

If there were, would you consider such a patch here?

It's disconcerting how people seem to seek out really old threads and post into them. I know it's a trade-off between keeping a given topic in a single thread, but after some amount of time passes, 4-6 months or heck, even a year, I'd think any further discussion wouldn't really be relevant to the original discourse in the thread and a new thread would be more appropriate.

It would also put a stop to the people who're reviving old threads just to be obnoxious.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivortex Find more posts by Tivortex Add Tivortex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivortex
I like cheese

I have to think about this. I'll get back to you in a year from now.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

Doug...Not a bad idea. I will look into a hack for it.

Now Booking for Oct. 29th Sailing.

Click For More Information

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

What a great way to discourage people from searching before posting.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
I don't see how that has anything to do with it. If you're about to ask a question and you search and find the answer, you don't need to post and wait. If the answer isn't there, you post your question in a new thread. If it is, you don't need to post in the old one.

PS; nice to see you finally got your signature spaced out correctly.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Resulting in more threads on the same topic and others rehashing the same information in the older thread.

We don't need more FSI threads.

(I guess the line drawing characters with thick lines aren't sized uniformly with the others in your font, or don't exist.)

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

Is this really that big an issue? I saw one resurrected thread today, and quite frankly, it was interesting to re-read it.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
I agree. There's a lot of valuable information available in some older threads from people who aren't posting here anymore, like RB for example.

Of course if you want to apply this to Happy Hour only, you'll get no complaint from me.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 11:06 PM
HTH
No Avatar Selected

And older threads with valuable information aren't archived; they're removed. Even all the threads that were in the old TiVo Takes forum were summarily removed without archival. It even appears that the original MORON threads have been purged.

If you want a thread to never be resurrected, you can lock it. That guarantees its death and eventual purging from historical record (lifetime plus 70 years prematurely).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

Re: Allowing threads to die a natural death

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
It would also put a stop to the people who're reviving old threads just to be obnoxious.
They're quite inventive. They'll just find another way to be obnoxious.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 11:19 PM
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
And older threads with valuable information aren't archived; they're removed. Even all the threads that were in the old TiVo Takes forum were summarily removed without archival. It even appears that the original MORON threads have been purged.
They're still there as read only in the archives. If you find an old link, replace "www" with "archive:"

http://archive.tivocommunity.com/ti...?threadid=33408

http://archive.tivocommunity.com/ti...?threadid=32011

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

allan is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for allan Find more posts by allan Add allan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
allan
Resident modern nut

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
We don't need more FSI threads.

True, but I don't think anyone has to go back very far to find one.

Allan is probably right. Most likely he's wrong, but he's probably right. If he slips
me a fiver he can be 100% correct. - whoknows55

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 02:15 AM
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by allan
True, but I don't think anyone has to go back very far to find one.
It would put a limit on the lifetime of the official one.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 02:17 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
It would put a limit on the lifetime of the official one.

Only if it died first. If people posted every X months into it, it wouldn't die. And it'd still be searchable in either case, even "dead."

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 03:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

I agree with HTH about his comments regarding searching for threads about that topic. We see this all the time.. Someone starts a thread, only to be directed to an existing thread with a wealth of information. Why not continue or resume the discussion, tapping into and adding to the knowledge already there?

Or what about "update" posts? There are threads that sre started by folks wanting to share some personal information. Sometimes, they come back and give updates by bumping the original thread. Lots of times, it's nice to see that.. Sure, they can start a NEW thread, but it can be good to see the history behind the event/information.

Doug, what kind of timeframe out are you looking for here? A few weeks? A few months?

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 03:33 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker
I agree with HTH about his comments regarding searching for threads about that topic. We see this all the time.. Someone starts a thread, only to be directed to an existing thread with a wealth of information. Why not continue or resume the discussion, tapping into and adding to the knowledge already there?

Or what about "update" posts? There are threads that sre started by folks wanting to share some personal information. Sometimes, they come back and give updates by bumping the original thread. Lots of times, it's nice to see that.. Sure, they can start a NEW thread, but it can be good to see the history behind the event/information.

Doug, what kind of timeframe out are you looking for here? A few weeks? A few months?

Many months. At least half a year, I'd expect.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 03:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

Talk about threads that need to die a natural death...

Although I see the benefit of resurrecting informative threads and adding to them, there does come a time when they are so cluttered as to become ineffective.

I really believe this should be considered a case of "less is more". Meaning, just let it alone, don't try to build a rule set to manage something that just isn't a big deal.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 09:29 AM
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
I really believe this should be considered a case of "less is more". Meaning, just let it alone, don't try to build a rule set to manage something that just isn't a big deal.
Amen. If it ain't broke...

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged