TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> Wireless networking Q <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sanderton is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Wireless networking Q

I am trying to get my house fully networked, but it's a stone built farmhouse with three foot thick internal walls and its causing me some issues.

At present I have a wired network on the ground floor connecting my study with the living room and kids playroom where the the TiVos are.

I want to be able to have network connectivity on the first floor too, but running wires through several enormous stone walls is too much like hard work. However said walls also mean the wireless stuff doesn't have the range.

My idea is this:

I add 802.11g to my current wired network in the study.

In the attic have a repeater directly over the study, and then have further repeaters over each room I want networked (the walls stop at attic floor height). Data from the internet or the TiVos would then route via the adapter in the study to the one in the roof, then sideways from that one to one over the relevant room , then down to an adapter attached to the target device (an XBox, probably).

Would this work? Can a wireless signal "bounce" that many times?

And if so, can anyone tell me what combination of access points, bridges, rouers and game adapters I'm likely to need?

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn
TiVo Forum Special Member

Three foot is a mighty obstacle, but it could be worth do a search on your favourite search engine of "war driving" antenna to review how people use enhanced antenna to boost reception.

Going the attic root is probably the most aesthetically pleasing, but if all rooms where reception is required have an external window, I would be tempted to see if mounting antenna near windows, either externally or internally, can keep the network in-touch (also a possible alternative route for a wired network which would give you the maximum bandwidth for streaming video).

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Listed building; can't do anything external.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

Install a fibre optic 10 Gigabit network.

If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well

Also immune from hackers and the fibres are so small.

Automan

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 04:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

If you have a garden shed with mains power that is in view of the necessary rooms, you could try siting A/P's in the windows and using a repeater A/P in the shed. That would probably use fewer repeaters than your loft.

Of course, you could always move to a nice modern Wimpey estate with timber-frame walls.

Next time I go house-hunting, I will definitely expect to see such things as broadband-connectivity in the house details.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

In new-builds it is increasingly common to see broadband status from BT or the cable company in the details.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

I think that the 54Mbs "g" variant is better at coping with wireless repeating and bridging than the 11Mbs "b" variant?

I had to register the MAC addresses of my Belkin 54g access points (and update the firmware) to get them to talk to each other - but once I did this I was able to bridge my upstairs and downstairs wired networks with no problems.

But I also live in a 70s box - so I doubt there is much attenuation going on!

(The Belkins and a few other access points have two aerials - though I don't know if this is to allow diversity reception or not.)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

The two aerials are for diversity. It uses the one with the strongest reception. I believe that you can get directional aerials with stronger signals, albeit not for legal use.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iguru42 is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iguru42 Find more posts by iguru42 Add iguru42 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iguru42
ECT

You might want to consider getting a Linksys WRT54G and loading the firmware from Sveasoft. The Sveasoft firmware allows you to bump the transmit power from 24mw to 84mw. Of course the long term effects on the router of having the transmit power maxed is completely unknown at this time. I've been running mine at 54 with no problems and it gives me an effective range (through a brick building) of 100 yards.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 01:35 AM
iankb

If you can up the power by firmware, it sounds like the hardware is designed to handle it, and is artificially limited by local legislation. The only problem with upping the power can be conflicts with the neighbours. My Philips video sender has a very striong signal and no directable aerial. I should imagine that half the neighbourhood watches my TiVo.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 04:52 AM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by iankb
If you can up the power by firmware, it sounds like the hardware is designed to handle it, and is artificially limited by local legislation. The only problem with upping the power can be conflicts with the neighbours. My Philips video sender has a very striong signal and no directable aerial. I should imagine that half the neighbourhood watches my TiVo.

Nearest neighbour a mile away so not an issue!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 12:08 PM
iankb

I presume that you've looked at networks that are piggy-backed on the mains cabling. Not that my mains is clean enough to use for 'phone connections. How do they get the mains cabling through the 3-foot thick walls?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 01:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

quote:
Originally posted by iguru42
You might want to consider getting a Linksys WRT54G and loading the firmware from Sveasoft. The Sveasoft firmware allows you to bump the transmit power from 24mw to 84mw.

Similar things can be done with the Netgear ME102, but I haven't got the link to hand as it's on my work laptop.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 02:40 PM
iankb

Re. the use of mains cabling, this link may of interest. There is also a link to an ADSLGuide review on that page.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 05:37 AM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
I presume that you've looked at networks that are piggy-backed on the mains cabling. Not that my mains is clean enough to use for 'phone connections. How do they get the mains cabling through the 3-foot thick walls?

My mains is a mess; the UPS is forever clicking on on and off and we don't need a complex security alarm as if the outside light trips on all the lights in the house dim. Kinda doubt it could handle a decent throughput - anyway the mains systems I've seen aren't up to streaming video.

"With very long drills" is the answer. I've put CAT5 through one wall - it took me two days and I had to drill using the longest drill bit Homebase sell from both sides and hope I could make the ends meet, a la Channel tunnel! Most of the wiring (and pipework) is on the surface or just buried in the top bit of plaster, going through the walls where there used to be doors or windows or around the doorframes of the existing ones. A fair bit is attached to the outside of the house then buried in render. Fortunately only the central wall is as thick as that - the normal partition type walls are a mere 18 inches to 2ft. It's all very thick because it's rubble stone, not decent stuff - but that tends to have the odd lunp of flint in it which drills just will not go through. Bit of a mare really.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

quote:
Originally posted by iguru42
You might want to consider getting a Linksys WRT54G and loading the firmware from Sveasoft. The Sveasoft firmware allows you to bump the transmit power from 24mw to 84mw. Of course the long term effects on the router of having the transmit power maxed is completely unknown at this time. I've been running mine at 54 with no problems and it gives me an effective range (through a brick building) of 100 yards.

Sounds interesting, but how do the clients talk back unless they too somehow have their power increased?

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 02:58 PM
iankb

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
Bit of a mare really.
A country life and technology don't really seem to mix. I think that you should either move to a Docklands penthouse, or start raising pigs.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ericd121 is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 06:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ericd121 Visit ericd121's homepage! Find more posts by ericd121 Add ericd121 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ericd121
Crown Topper

quote:
A country life and technology don't really seem to mix. I think that you should either move to a Docklands penthouse, or start raising pigs.
I was quite impressed that sanderton's "Nearest neighbour a mile away" yet he can receive ADSL!
Unless, of course, his nearest neighbour is the local exchange...

Sounds like a nice life, actually; Pigs and ADSL or Broadband and Broadbacks.

160Gb TiVo + 120Gb TiVo Both with:-
CacheCard + TiVoWeb + Mode 0 + EndPad + Daewoo-DS608P (SetPal) FreeView

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn

A rushed visit to the forum just in case you make a Easter Monday shopping trip to buy equipment.

A quick review suggests that even at 2.4 GHZ the cone of silence could be a significant impediment to the solution you suggest if you use standard antenna arrays and orientation.

I will post a fuller and more considered view after the hols.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 04-13-2004 04:19 AM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by ericd121
I was quite impressed that sanderton's "Nearest neighbour a mile away" yet he can receive ADSL!
Unless, of course, his nearest neighbour is the local exchange...

Sounds like a nice life, actually; Pigs and ADSL or Broadband and Broadbacks.

Ok, it might be 3/4 a mile to the nearest neigbour (a pub. ). And actually we do have three pig sties - vacant at the moment though!

I was somewhat suprised to be able to get broadband too; the local exchange is about two miles or so away on the edge of the nearest town; in this part of Somerset you go from "urban" to extremely rural in the the blink of an eye. If you stand on the brow of the rise at the front of our house and look south west you see the Blackthorn cider factory and the warehouses and light industial estates of Shepton Mallet; if you turn around you see nothing but the Mendip hills and a couple of farmhouses. the hill completely screens out Shepton, so we feel VERY rural!

The broadband was probably helped by an incident two years ago when the local farmer's accuracy at rabbit shooting left something to be desired and he shot out the telephone line half a mile from the house. It was too decrepid to repair, so they ran a new brand one out from the exchange. As they also had to pay me several hundred £ in compensation for loss of service in the month it took to fix, I reckon that BT will start making a profit out of me in about 2034.

The other big advantage to living out here in the wilds is we get our own special allocation of Glastonbury tickets (and a locals only hotline to order them!)

I have The Wurzels on my iPod....

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged