TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Forum Extras > Forum Feedback
>>> Need help inserting an image into a post using Yahoo briefcase <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sotapoppy Find more posts by sotapoppy Add sotapoppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sotapoppy

Need help inserting an image into a post using Yahoo briefcase

I've tried several attempts to insert an image into a post using Yahoo briefcase as my url. Is there a limitation within Yahoo? I have the briefcase folder that I'm referencing setup for public viewing and I have the "premium" briefcase. All I get is box with the red x.

The following are 2 examples of what I tried:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/MYNAME/FOLDER/PICNAME.GIF

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/MYNAME/FOLDER/PICNAME

I surrounded the above with [IMG] but left that off herein so the text would display in this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

If I click on those URLs, it tells me I can't access your account..

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sotapoppy Find more posts by sotapoppy Add sotapoppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sotapoppy

quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker
If I click on those URLs, it tells me I can't access your account..

The URLs that I included in my post for this thread are fictitious as to MY NAME, etc.

I've tested using the actual names and the result is the same. I get an error message in a Yahoo Briefcase window saying "There was a problem accessing your account".

I think there is a Yahoo restriction that either I can't, or haven't figured out how to, overcome.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet
TiVo Forum Special Member

I've never used Yahoo Briefcase, either, but are things in there supposed to be public? If not, this won't work, of course...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 02:51 AM
sotapoppy

quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
I've never used Yahoo Briefcase, either, but are things in there supposed to be public? If not, this won't work, of course...

The briefcase default setting is "Private". This can be changed on a folder by folder basis. Setting choices are: (i) Private (only I have access to the folder and any folders within it.), (ii) Public (everyone can access the folder and any folders within it.), and (iii) Friends (only Yahoo users that I specify can access the folder and any folders within it.)

I have set the folder containing the image to "Public".

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 03:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

A lot of sites that offer photo uploads make it so you can not call the photo from a different server. Thus is more than likely your issue. They do not care to have people use them as a hosting provider for images used on another site. Thus the images would only be viewable if you are actually on that site.

Now Booking for Oct. 29th Sailing.

Click For More Information

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 03:24 AM
sotapoppy

quote:
Originally posted by David Bott
A lot of sites that offer photo uploads make it so you can not call the photo from a different server. Thus is more than likely your issue. They do not care to have people use them as a hosting provider for images used on another site. Thus the images would only be viewable if you are actually on that site.

My hunch is that's exactly the case with Yahoo. They do offer web sites to users (for a fee of course). They call it GeoCities. I guess it makes good sense that they would not allow the briefcase to function as an alternative to GeoCities.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 03:54 AM
sotapoppy

FWIW I used Yahoo's free GeoCities to successfully add an image.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

No you didn't

At least not an image people other than you can see.

jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 09:21 AM
sotapoppy

I've had a couple people tell me they can see the image and a few say they can't. Maybe this has something to do with what browser is used?

Anyone else?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 09:23 AM
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
Originally posted by sotapoppy
I've had a couple people tell me they can see the image and a few say they can't. Maybe this has something to do with what browser is used?

Anyone else?

I think it has to do with them having Geocities accounts or some such thing. IIRC, Geocites doesn't like people using their bandwidth for that sort of thing.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 04-10-2004 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

Jeff is correct....It is more than likely that they have accounts.

Now Booking for Oct. 29th Sailing.

Click For More Information

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 09:58 PM
sotapoppy

quote:
Originally posted by David Bott
Jeff is correct....It is more than likely that they have accounts.

I tried from a friend's computer with no "account" and the image was viewable. I've tried something a little different below. Can anyone see this image that can't see the image in post #8?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 10:09 PM
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
I tried from a friend's computer with no "account" and the image was viewable. I've tried something a little different below. Can anyone see this image that can't see the image in post #8?

Nope.

from your friends computer, did you go into the Geocities web site before hand??

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 10:31 PM
sotapoppy

No. In fact, the computer was off. He booted up, his home page is comcast. We went directly to this site. I didn't log on. The image was viewable.

Assuming the problem is with Geocities, or a combination of that and a specific browser, can you recommend any inexpensive alternatives that you know will work?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 11:29 PM
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
No. In fact, the computer was off. He booted up, his home page is comcast. We went directly to this site. I didn't log on. The image was viewable.

Assuming the problem is with Geocities, or a combination of that and a specific browser, can you recommend any inexpensive alternatives that you know will work?

I don't think it's a broswer issue. I've tried with both IE on Windows and Safari for OS X. I want to say it's a Geocties thing. Maybe he can view it on his PC becasue he has some cookie or something on his computer leftover from a previous visit.

I've been looking for the same type of service, but have come up dry. It seems to be either a place that is set up for allowing people to view the pics on-line from that site, order prints, calanders, mugs, etc. OR a traditional web page services. Both are more than I really need just to inline images. Maybe you could look into the services that are target to ebay sellers.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 11:59 PM
sotapoppy

Thanks for your feedback. I've tried one more time with a slightly different setup. It is unfortunate that I need someone else to tell me if this works. Do you see any images now? (I'm starting to feel like the Verizon guy - with opposite results of course).

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 12:29 AM
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

I see images now. What did you change?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sotapoppy is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 12:39 AM
sotapoppy

I upgraded from the free geocities to the geocities plus which is $4.95. Now it all makes sense. Yahoo's description of the free geocities is somewhat lacking.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Video-Idiot is offline Old Post 04-16-2004 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Video-Idiot Find more posts by Video-Idiot Add Video-Idiot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Video-Idiot
My bad, sorry.

quote:
I upgraded from the free geocities to the geocities plus which is $4.95. Now it all makes sense. Yahoo's description of the free geocities is somewhat lacking.

There are better and easier (IMHO) to use FREE sites. GeoCities was good for it's time but now try www.freewebspace.com. I find them much easier to use and as long as I have my Google toolbar set to block all popups, I never have a problem with them.

If you read something here that offends you... stop reading.
Even the voice of reason needs to shut up now and then.
A date can be seen as a nonrecurring expense... a wife is overhead.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged