TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> recommendations for cheap(ish) widescreen TV? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dmchapman is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmchapman Find more posts by dmchapman Add dmchapman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmchapman

recommendations for cheap(ish) widescreen TV?

Hi
Parents have returned from their holiday to find that their rented TV has gone pop so I've been called in to find a replacement.

As they are used to renting (its safer yada yada) I have persuaded them that a telly from john lewis is more cost effective and still safe as they are famous for their customer service and they also chuck in a 5 year warranty.

this package at john lewis looks to be favourorite at the moment - any one got any reasons to avoid it?

Darren

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn
TiVo Forum Special Member

Only the bit about "Sorry, this product is currently out of stock."

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

what size was there 4:3 telly??? my mil is still moaning that her 28" widescreen is not as big a picture as her old square box. I told her to buy the 32" but would she listen.

make sure they get a good look at the size of a 28 in 4:3 mode just in case they want to keep the analogue aspect ratio when watching non-widescreen programmes.

other than that £500 strikes me as a little steep but I'm cheap - google has kelkoo showing name brand 28"'ers starting under £300, throw in a Tesco DVD and VCR and you'd still be around the £350 mark (both the Tesco DVD and VCR I purchased last xmas are doing very well, in fact the DVD is as good if not better spec'd than my 3 year old Toshiba).

good luck

stuart

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmchapman is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 01:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmchapman Find more posts by dmchapman Add dmchapman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmchapman

quote:
Originally posted by pgogborn
Only the bit about "Sorry, this product is currently out of stock."

Well, yeah :-)

They seem to think they will be getting more stock soon....

Darren

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmchapman is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 01:55 PM
dmchapman

quote:
Originally posted by sjp
what size was there 4:3 telly??? my mil is still moaning that her 28" widescreen is not as big a picture as her old square box. I told her to buy the 32" but would she listen.

Old telly was a 28" wide screen so no real problems there.

quote:

other than that £500 strikes me as a little steep but I'm cheap - google has kelkoo showing name brand 28"'ers starting under £300, throw in a Tesco DVD and VCR and you'd still be around the £350 mark (both the Tesco DVD and VCR I purchased last xmas are doing very well, in fact the DVD is as good if not better spec'd than my 3 year old Toshiba).

Yeah - but if you look at what john lewis offer the range is more limited. Dads been stung before with cheap tellys with the built in warranty chips.

I persuaded them that 500 quid spent at JL would get them a half decent telly and a five year warranty. 2 quid a week is a lot less than they have been paying in rental!

Anyway, they will be happier going for a well known brand name (even if it means paying for it!). Personally I couldn't be happier with my 34 quid asda DVD player

Darren

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AMc is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 06:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AMc Find more posts by AMc Add AMc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AMc

JL will price match bricks and mortar stores so you shouldn't pay much over the odds. It's worth looking at their display models (if they're for sale) usually listed on little red tickets at the side of the TV displays. They're covered by the same guarantee and you can save hundreds (I got my £1500 Sony for £850 without the ugly stand).

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TheBear is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheBear Find more posts by TheBear Add TheBear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheBear

Buy a cheap supermarket telly then buy a separate 5 year warranty. Lots of companies sell warranties online.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmchapman is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:21 PM
dmchapman

Ok, above mentioned TV pack ordered along with Sky+ (which interestingly the JL bloke descibed as brilliant and second only to TiVo which he wished they still sold...)

Anyway, Video has "Smartlink" which is supposed to make life easier with setting it up and also with recording. Anyone got any advice how to plumb this lot together? Or should I just plug it all in as I would usually and just forget Smartlink completely (I doubt it will get a lot of use once they have Sky+)

Darren

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged