TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> restore help, pls <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Phil_Hoggins is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_Hoggins Find more posts by Phil_Hoggins Add Phil_Hoggins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_Hoggins

restore help, pls

All,

Am trying to restore an image that came from 123Gb Hdd. The new target drive is 120Gb. Commant I'me using is:

mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

but it reports that the 'target is not large enough for entire backup itself'.

Is there anything I can do, I want to preserve the recording and season passed etc.

Cheers,

Phil

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bradleyem is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 05:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bradleyem Visit bradleyem's homepage! Find more posts by bradleyem Add bradleyem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradleyem

123 into 120 just doesn't go I'm afraid!

You can back up the seasonpasses via a tivoweb module, then retore them but I think short of extracting all the streams to your PC (something we can't talk about here), there's little you can do for the recordings.

Cachecard to be added :)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phil_Hoggins is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_Hoggins Find more posts by Phil_Hoggins Add Phil_Hoggins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_Hoggins

Thanks,

I found some threads telling me just so...Typical got the same brand Hdd and same size also from the same source and they turn out to be 3 Gb different !!

Phil

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You may also have exceeded the number of upgrades you can do with one image - I have one of my TiVos stuck at 110Gb on a 120Gb disk.

You could try a lower value with the -s option; it might open you up to problems later in terms of a crash though.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phil_Hoggins is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 07:11 PM
Phil_Hoggins

I decided to use a virgin image....I'll be in big trouble though when the wife gets home and finds she hasn't got her Eastenders anymore !

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You can copy the shows on to your PC's hard disk and then put them back, but I can't tell you how here - go to Deal Database.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phil_Hoggins is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:33 PM
Phil_Hoggins

Does this assume tivo web ? because I don't have it. All I can do is connect the drives to my pc.

Phil

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phil_Hoggins is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:42 PM
Phil_Hoggins

Found the info I wanted, thanks Sanderson

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 09:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

sanderton you said:-

quote:
You may also have exceeded the number of upgrades you can do with one image - I have one of....

Why does this occur ?

Reason I ask is I might shortly go for Turbonet etc etc but my machine is 2 x 80Gb Maxtor is from a 1.5 image supplied by TiVoMAD, way back in 2001. Is this likely to cause complications if I install networking ?

(Yes I did answer that the total machine will be bigger than 140Gb (?) during the TiVoMAD script meaning I hope I have a large enough swapfile partition).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:59 PM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Every time you upgrade, a pair of partitions is added to fill the empy space on the new disk. There is a limit on how many partitions you can have on a disk (3 pairs I think).

It really only come into play with UK 2 disk systems, as if you go from two to one then the partitions from both disks are copied to the new disk, then a new set is added. If you then try to upgrade that drive, you exceed the limit. I got caught this way going from a 2 disk machine to an 80 Gb + 30Gb, then trying to take it to a 120 was no go as I had no more partitions available, so my 120Gb machine has only 110Gb of usable space!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged