TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Cognitive Dissidence? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PrimeRisk Find more posts by PrimeRisk Add PrimeRisk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Cognitive Dissonance?

It's here! It's here! My HDTiVo was finally delivered by UPS an hour ago! I'm so excited...or am I?

I just served up $1070 (including tax) so I can get 7 (count 'em, 7) HD channels from D* and possibly 5 local channels OTA. And the OTAs are spotty at best in my area. Now I need to pick up a UHF antenna and strap it to the chimney. So, there's another $150 for the antenna and $11/month from D* for 4 of the 7 channels.

Hrmmmm... Maybe I *DON'T* want this, at least not until there are more offerings. I think I'm having Cognitive Dissonance. The reality is setting in that HDTiVos will only be cheaper and more available in the future.

Now it's time to stare at the box and determine if I'm going to open it or not.

Series 2 TiVo TCD240080, 80 hours - Lifetime Subscription w/HMO - Haulin' Tres
Series 2 DTiVos (3 x DSR7000s), 120+ hours
HDTiVo HR10-250, 200SD/30HD hours

Last edited by PrimeRisk on 06-25-2004 at 12:54 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLiquid is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLiquid Visit DLiquid's homepage! Find more posts by DLiquid Add DLiquid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLiquid
TiVo Forum Special Member

I can tell you that once my HD TiVo was up and running, any trace of remorse disappeared immediately. Getting into HDTV right now is not cheap, but IMO it's a great time to do it. The Olympics are coming up later this summer, next NFL season many games will be HD, and almost all of the non-reality network programming is in HD. There is also speculation that DirecTV will add some more HD movie channels. I couldn't be happier that I no longer have to watch HD live, which I rarely ended up doing since I love TiVo so much.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MNTivoGuy is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MNTivoGuy Find more posts by MNTivoGuy Add MNTivoGuy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNTivoGuy

dis·so·nance ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ds-nns)
n.
A harsh, disagreeable combination of sounds; discord.
Lack of agreement, consistency, or harmony; conflict: “In Vietnam, reality fell away and dissonance between claim and fact filled the void” (Michael Janeway).

dis·si·dence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ds-dns)
n.
Disagreement, as of opinion or belief; dissent

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PrimeRisk Find more posts by PrimeRisk Add PrimeRisk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Yes MNTivoGuy, you are right, I'm experiencing Cognitive Dissonance, not Dissidence. Though dissidence isn't too far off either...at least for the voices in my head.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dean Martin is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Martin Find more posts by Dean Martin Add Dean Martin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Martin

I can understand your position and feelings on this issue but how much TV can one watch? Right now I just want to be able to watch TV shows that are broadcast in HD with my Tivo.
I had a Directivo for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I can rationalize that there are only so many channels/shows that I actually watched but whatever I watched, it was on MY terms.
So, I have thousands sunk into my HD tv and I rarely get to see any shows because they are not on my terms, several shows on CBS & ABC, not to mention HBO. I can't pause, rewind and all that so what happens? I never use my HD box. Along comes the new Tivo and I'm already recording movies and watching shows in HD. If I only watch a couple of things a week it's on my terms.
I believe fairly soon there will be more and more content and I'm ready for it.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:38 AM
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Oh, just to follow up. HDTiVo isn't going back. I installed it about 7pm on 6/24 and haven't thought about Cognitive Dissonance since.

BRING ON MORE HD CONTENT!!!! ***MORE, I TELL YOU, MORE!!!!***

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marcello696 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for marcello696 Find more posts by marcello696 Add marcello696 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marcello696

quote:
Originally posted by PrimeRisk
Oh, just to follow up. HDTiVo isn't going back. I installed it about 7pm on 6/24 and haven't thought about Cognitive Dissonance since.

BRING ON MORE HD CONTENT!!!! ***MORE, I TELL YOU, MORE!!!!***

"Don't be so proud of this technological terror you've constructed... the ability to record in HD is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

to be accurate, cognitive dissonance occurs when you have to make a choice between two desireable things. Since your brain can't handle the thought of not gettting something that you find desireable, it begins denigrating the object you didn't choose.

which is why often after choosing between two things you wanted, you begin to really like the one you chose, and begin seeing the other choice in a negative light.

now if you were trying to choose between comcast and hd-tivo.......wait that wouldn't be a hard choice at all

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MNTivoGuy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MNTivoGuy Find more posts by MNTivoGuy Add MNTivoGuy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNTivoGuy

quote:
Originally posted by slocko
to be accurate, cognitive dissonance occurs when you have to make a choice between two desireable things. Since your brain can't handle the thought of not gettting something that you find desireable, it begins denigrating the object you didn't choose.

which is why often after choosing between two things you wanted, you begin to really like the one you chose, and begin seeing the other choice in a negative light.

now if you were trying to choose between comcast and hd-tivo.......wait that wouldn't be a hard choice at all

No. Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon which refers to the discomfort felt at a discrepancy between what you already know or believe, and new information or interpretation that does not fit with what you already know or believe.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

retrodog is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for retrodog Find more posts by retrodog Add retrodog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
retrodog
retroDoggy Style

Holy cow, that's a lot of money. You have spent almost as much for HDTV and a HDTivo as we used to spend for a car.

Oh well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Please note: No cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later. ;)

"There is some mental disorder, where people keep cats."justapixel

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:45 AM
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Another update. D* has been nice enough to give me an OTA antenna free with installation and $180 in service credits. Even happier now!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

I was giving an example of it in action.

In the case of my example the person believes he should have object A, but is instead, going with object B, hence the psychological discomfort. To ease the discomfort the person begins enhancing object B and finding faults with object A. If he had chosen object A, the reverse would have happened.

At least that is the theory.

quote:
Originally posted by MNTivoGuy
No. Cognitive dissonance is a psychological phenomenon which refers to the discomfort felt at a discrepancy between what you already know or believe, and new information or interpretation that does not fit with what you already know or believe.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged