TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Sky+ dead after only 6 months <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
itm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for itm Find more posts by itm Add itm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
itm

Sky+ dead after only 6 months

Here's an interesting tale for anyone thinking of jumping ship to Sky+...

I got my Sky+ installed in January, having been a Tivo user for several years. This evening I found that my hard disk had failed - I spoke to Sky tech support, tried diagnostics and system reset, and they told me I needed to phone my supplier to get an engineer out.

Lucklily, I've retained Tivo as my primary PVR - the Sky+ had very light usage during its short life. I've learnt a valuable lesson here!

God knows what I'll do when my Tivo finally dies, and I need another reliable PVR....

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Do you have a backup of your A drive...?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for itm Find more posts by itm Add itm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
itm

Unhappy

Never even thought of backing up the Tivo drive. Presumably that would require TivoNet? I'm afraid I've never been bold enough to open the case

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveP Find more posts by DaveP Add DaveP to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveP

Was your Sky+ in a cabinet under the tele, or another closed cabinet?

Dave

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:12 AM
itm

In a wooden cabinet under the TV - same as the Tivo. I think the difference is that the Tivo is housed in a larger, cooler box (and probably has a more reliable disc). I suspect that the Sky box is much more cheaply manufactured (if their digiboxes are anything to go by)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

To be fair, the Sky+ box has a Maxtor Fireball 3 (well the version 2 box does according to pics on Automans website).

This is pretty similar to TiVo's drive.

Its just unfortunate that the hard drive failed - it could easily happen to a TiVo model.

(Hmmm this may be the first time I have defended Sky+, time I went for a lie down!)

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:33 AM
itm

I had already noticed that it was running very hot - never a good sign, and something which I noticed with the digibox before it. I don't think much consideration is given to ventilation needs.
Anyway, it's got me thinking that maybe I need a new Tv cabinet. Does anyone have any recommendations for a large rack - one that'll house and ventilate 5 units - Tivo, Sky+, VCR, DVD player, DVD recorder and AV hub? Something that'll match mahogany furniture would be a bonus!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

You can make backups of your SP's etc with TiVoWeb, but that's not something that many people do.

Making a recovery backup so you can reconstruct your TiVo after a hard drive failure is just a question of putting its hard drive(s) in your PC and running MFS Tools. It only takes half-an-hour or so (once you've got the top off the TiVo, anyway).

Given how old all our TiVoes are, I'd definitely recommend that if you can make a backup, you should do so ASAP.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveP Find more posts by DaveP Add DaveP to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveP

quote:
Originally posted by GarySargent
Its just unfortunate that the hard drive failed - it could easily happen to a TiVo model.(

I don't think it's unfortunate. I think it's a design fault. Initially the the fan only came on when the internal air temperature reached a certain level. On the Mark 1 there is no air circulation around the disk and it is "sealed" in order to minimise noise. It gets hot enough to fry eggs on.

When I swapped my drive I took the opportunity to install an "always on" fan and I've had no troubles since.

Even with a bigger fan you end up moving hot air around and there is still not much circulation around the disk.

Best move it into the open air if you can. I've got a Target 5 tier rack in black metal and this is ideal, with open sides, front, and back.

Dave

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itm is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:39 PM
itm

quote:
Originally posted by DaveP
I don't think it's unfortunate. I think it's a design fault

My thoughts entirely. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Sky+ box runs much hotter than the Tivo - the case design plays a huge part in this. Surely I won't be reduced to installing my own internal fan in order to keep the next unit alive? I'll look for an "open" stand, but if the box is simply cooking the drive then I don't hold out much hope!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:07 PM
DaveP

If you currently have a V1 box then that would explain the problem. If you had the newer, smaller box then the circulation problem should have been solved with the new design. They moved the disk to the centre of the box. If this is the case maybe you were unfortunate!

Dave

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itm is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:01 AM
itm

I believe it's a new box - installed January this year. I suppose the next 6 months will tell me whether I've just been unlucky this time....

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged