TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Upgrading to HDTV TiVo Question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
km23 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for km23 Find more posts by km23 Add km23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
km23

Upgrading to HDTV TiVo Question

I am getting DirecTV with the basic TiVo service.

2 Questions:

1. What kind of dish does DirecTV send me with that package? Is it the triple LND dish?

2. When I upgrade to the HDTiVo, do I need to change the satellite dish as well?

Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

roycap is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for roycap Find more posts by roycap Add roycap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roycap

All you need is the Triple LNB Dish and a HD receiver.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JamesJ5223 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JamesJ5223 Find more posts by JamesJ5223 Add JamesJ5223 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JamesJ5223

1) Ask for the Triple LNB dish, especially if you get locals.

2) You won't need to upgrade the dish if you get the triple; however, be sure to have the installer run two cables to where the HDTivo will be -- you'll only use one of them with SD Tivo but you'll want two with HD.

Also -- you won't need an HD Receiver with the HDTivo, but you will need one with SD tivo if you have and HDTV and want to receive HD from D*. Oh yes, you also have to pay extra to get HD from D*, unless you subscribe to HBO or SHOWTIME in which case you'll get those in HD but nothing else.

Jake

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

km23 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for km23 Find more posts by km23 Add km23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
km23

If I have regular TiVo and I don't want to pay the $1,000 price for the HD TiVo.. can I get the regular HD receiver and use both at the same time? This would allow me to watch regular TV and switch inputs to watch HDTV.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott Corbett is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Corbett Find more posts by Scott Corbett Add Scott Corbett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Corbett
Woodworker

The newer dishes (Phase III) have four outputs (a multiswitch is integrated). All of the outputs can see any satellite position and polarity.

So you would use two of them for the SD TiVo (not one as someone posted earlier) and one for the HD receiver. But you will want four cables to be ready to add an HD TiVo if you also keep your SD TiVo.

The two TiVos will use all four outputs, so if you intend to also keep the HD receiver you should ask DirecTV to install an eight output multiswitch (they did that for me at no charge, but I have been a customer for 10 years)

You may also need a cable for OTA locals if you have an antenna.

No problem if you TV accepts multiple inputs, assuming you have an HDTV.

Added PS :
You would use S-Video from the SD TiVo and DVI from the HD receiver (or Component)

Mitsubishi WS-55313 RP HD monitor.
MX-700
It's tough without TiVo.

Last edited by Scott Corbett on 06-28-2004 at 08:54 PM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

quote:
Originally posted by km23
If I have regular TiVo

What is a regular TiVo in your mind? Is it a stand alone (which can record cable, OTA, and/or satellite), or a DTiVo (which can only record satellite)?

A stand alone needs a DTV receiver and one cable, a DTiVo needs no other receiver, can work with one cable, but should have two cables run to it.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JamesJ5223 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JamesJ5223 Find more posts by JamesJ5223 Add JamesJ5223 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JamesJ5223

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Corbett
...you would use two of them for the SD TiVo (not one as someone posted earlier)

Sorry about that -- two inputs for a DTivo, I was thinking of stand-alone.
quote:
The two TiVos will use all four outputs, so if you intend to also keep the HD receiver you should ask DirecTV to install an eight output multiswitch

Scott makes an important point -- if there is ANY chance you'll need more than four inputs down the road, have D* install the 4x8 multiswitch. Even if you have to pay them a little extra, the convenience of getting this done in advance is big. Adding a multiswitch later is certainly doable but you might as well have D* install it for you.

Jake

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged