TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> type of email received in larger companies? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
newsposter is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter
TiVo Forum Special Member

type of email received in larger companies?

I don't want to just include the fortune 500 but for purposes of this question I am really just looking for responses from those who work for "larger" companies (intentionally didn't quantify ) I'm sure the smaller companies do have these types of emails due to the fact that everyone will know everyone.

Do you get emails saying that people had babies, or that such and such died but you have no idea who they are because you work in another location? I also wonder for the death notices what happens when the person comes back to work, checks email, then sees the notice that's likely a week old. While I'm sure that there is at least one person that does appreciate notices like this, but it really gets to be nuts sometime. One week we had 3 death notices.

Then there are the retirement parties that ask for $ for people you never even see or know. But that's a whole other thing.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

No...we had a moritorium on "send to all users" emails"...all of those have to go through two people including a director...we do get them...it's just they are from "the company"...and about things like the mobile driver's license renewal van being in our parking lot or street blockages because of parades and stuff like that...

we do, however, have email groups set up such as all the users of a department and sometimes those get a message about someone's death or if someone has tickets to something they want to get rid of...but not to the entire corporation...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newsposter is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newsposter Find more posts by newsposter Add newsposter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newsposter
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Satchel

we do, however, have email groups set up such as all the users of a department and sometimes those get a message about someone's death or if someone has tickets to something they want to get rid of...but not to the entire corporation...

groups are OK in my book, just not the "all xyz corporation" group

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frylock is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Ours are restricted to location for things like birthdays and death notices, and to divisions for hires at a certain level, and company wide for high enough people.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Not sure if we count as a "large company" in your book (15,000 or so employees world wide), but for us, no, we don't get emails sent to the entire company announcing births, deaths, etc. There *are* localized emails about various activities (like the drivers license truck, blood drives, etc.), plus various newsletter type things directing us to look at the intranet site for more info.

The client in Los Angeles is a different story, however. I have an email account on their email system, I get all sorts of stuff. They send announcements about everything. Grand rounds, deaths, etc. They are better at it now than before. They are now consolidating most announcements into a singal email. Of course, they are singe facility hospital (but a pretty big hospital), so it's not like there are people scattered all over the world in multiple facilties. For the most part, everyone is all located in the same place.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

I work for a company with > 50,000 employes spread out all over the US (and world, but the vast majority are domestic.) The group I belong to contains about 10-30 people depending how far up the management chain you go to define us, but I only get messages of those types from the people I work closest with and am in contact with on a daily basis. This is a smaller subset of people, maybe 15-20 at most.

I never see messages like that send to more than 10-20 people at a time.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skippy18 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Skippy18 Find more posts by Skippy18 Add Skippy18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skippy18

At my last job that happened all the time. I'd get back from a business trip to find 100 messages of 'work spam' and 3 messages that were meant for me. It was very annoying. The most common emails were death notices, retirement parties and the most annoying, replying all for an RSVP or response to the original email.
There were about 3000 people at our location.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AngryPuppy Find more posts by AngryPuppy Add AngryPuppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AngryPuppy

We have sigs for various non-business topics.

If you have something to send out, you write to the sig.

If you don't want to hear about it, don't subscribe to the sig.

I think it's cool that they make these accomodations for the non-work related stuff.

I work for a fairly large (but not well-known) company. I'm not sure how large we are because our offices are spread out around the world.

Terry

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ireland967 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ireland967 Find more posts by ireland967 Add ireland967 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ireland967
Version 2.0

The company I work for is approx 16k worldwide, and occasionally there are emails sent to fairly large (but not company-wide) distribution groups for personal things. I personally don't mind them in the least, but I do mind the knuckleheads who reply to all saying take them off the distribution list, and then seeing a dozen others follow suit. That gets maddening . . .

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hoffer is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hoffer Find more posts by Hoffer Add Hoffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoffer
Hey Now!!!

I work for a company with 50,000+ employees. Very few emails ever get sent out to everyone. Even then, it's usually from the CEO and maybe once or twice a year. Death notices and such are usually confined to a group of 200 or less people.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jojo is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo Find more posts by Jojo Add Jojo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jojo
Geek Girl

I work for a large corporation, with over 150,000 employees worldwide spread across several divisions. The division I work for has various offices in the US, and they are all accessible using email groups. If you send an email to 'DivisionName' it gets sent to every office in our division in the US.

Most people are good about not using this group, but some of the corporate drones at head office use it to announce promotions and new hires for people in legal or finance, which irritates me. I've never heard of this person, will never meet them, and don't care to know about their promotion.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VTechDave is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for VTechDave Find more posts by VTechDave Add VTechDave to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VTechDave
one of "them"

I created a filter in Outlook so: If my name is NOT in the TO line, the email is deleted - with the exception of emails from my immediate workgroups.

It even gets rid of the 500+ United Way emails every year.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged