TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Phase III Dish Multi Switch Question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sdchrgrboy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sdchrgrboy Find more posts by sdchrgrboy Add sdchrgrboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdchrgrboy

Phase III Dish Multi Switch Question

I was wondering if anyone could help with an installation question. I have a new Phase III dish which I was told has a built in Multi Switch. Currently, there are four lines coming out of the dish, thru a grounding block then down to the house. Two lines go to the HD Tivo, one to a spare bedroom and the other to the master bedroom. I want to install my old Direct Tv/Tivo receiver in the master BR so I want to run one additional line to it. I was told that I have to take off the LNB to access the multi switch. My question is, will I just be able to screw in another line from there or do I need to get a different multi switch? What is the easiest way, alternatives, etc.?
Thanks for you input.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

You have 4 lines running off....and 2 going to the HD TiVo.

You could get a 2x4 Multiswitch and take the other two runs, connect them to the multiswitch, then run two runs from the MS to the Master bedroom, and one (or two) to the spare bedroom. These would be configured to look at a "round" dish, only seeing the 101 satellite. That should be fine since you don't have HDTV in the bedrooms, and assuming your locals come off of the 101 sat.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott Corbett is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Corbett Find more posts by Scott Corbett Add Scott Corbett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Corbett
Woodworker

For the best long-term solution, you might also want to consider a 4x8 external multiswitch to make all channels available at all receivers.

I would like to note that unixadm's solution is the simplest (like you asked for) and I am in no way contradicting him.

No need to disassemble your LNBs in either case.

Mitsubishi WS-55313 RP HD monitor.
MX-700
It's tough without TiVo.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Scott is correct......the BEST solution would be to get a 4x8 cascading switch which you would then use the 4 cables coming off of your dish as inputs to the 4x8. You would then have 8 outputs that would all be able to see all satellites.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sdchrgrboy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sdchrgrboy Find more posts by sdchrgrboy Add sdchrgrboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdchrgrboy

Thanks for the help. I will try and see if I can get D* to send me one.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Broderick Find more posts by Bill Broderick Add Bill Broderick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
the BEST solution would be to get a 4x8 cascading switch

...with cascading being the key word in this recommendation. If you get a 4x8 switch that is not cascadable, it will not work with the Phase III dish.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kevinstu is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kevinstu Find more posts by kevinstu Add kevinstu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kevinstu

And, it's not likely that D* going to provide you one. Shop around a bit, and try calling an installer in your area...sometimes they'll give things to you for a lot less than some places charge. In my case, they provided a bunch of diplexors along with the multiswitch to split the off-air and satellite feeds. I know you don't have more than one HD unit now, but it's nice to plan for the future...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged