TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Worldphone Access <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LlamaLarry is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LlamaLarry Find more posts by LlamaLarry Add LlamaLarry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LlamaLarry
Llama Rancher

Worldphone Access

I am a Cingular user and recently purchased the Motorola V400 for my wife and I. When we bought it the rep said it was Worldphone capable but didn't really claim to know what that meant.

I am going on vacation to Bonaire in August and a call to Cingular tells me that I will be able to do "something" to my account to have it work on island. Last trip to Bonaire I rented a phone for two weeks put $100 on the phone card and had to chat my a$$ off to work off the time.

Has anyone used their US phone overseas? Was it a PITA?

Now if I only had folders. . .

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Avian is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avian Visit Avian's homepage! Find more posts by Avian Add Avian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avian
Tired and Unhappy

If Cingular has service down there you should be good to go, otherwise you'll have to unlock your phone and find a pre-paid SIM card down there to use.

Blog

I wonder how we change if we can in this land
I wonder how many mountains we'd move if we band together
Us priveleged Americans
I wonder what we'd change in this land cause we can
Even with western centricity this rampant
Us ugly Americans

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative
TiVo Forum Special Member

I've got a GSM phone through AT&T. All I had to do was call AT&T to have them add international service to my account. A tick of a box on their computer screen was all it seemed to take. Landed in London, turned on the phone and all was well. I've never been to Bonaire.

I didn't use the phone much while over there, mostly in case family had to get ahold of me. If you're going to be making many calls back to the US a calling card is your best/cheapest bet.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LlamaLarry is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LlamaLarry Find more posts by LlamaLarry Add LlamaLarry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LlamaLarry
Llama Rancher

I doubt I will be making too many calls as most of my family will be coming with me. I did use the rental phone last time for a good thing - my son had an allergic reaction to something he ate and we called the pediatrician. We had everything covered but it was nice to be in contact with them. The place we are staying at does not have a phone.

The place I rented from was a Cellular One store. I was a Cellular One customer then they got bought by Cingular, right? Was this acquisition a global thing so that the Cellular One presence is what I am looking for?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick

quote:
Originally posted by LlamaLarry
The place I rented from was a Cellular One store. I was a Cellular One customer then they got bought by Cingular, right? Was this acquisition a global thing so that the Cellular One presence is what I am looking for?

Cellular One was accquired by Verizon.

Perhaps you can post the same question on this web site.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-loca...s.cgi?pg=topics

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmlove51 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmlove51 Find more posts by dmlove51 Add dmlove51 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmlove51
Advanced Member

I just went through this exercise (don't know about Bonaire, but do know about Europe).

1) I bought one tri-band phone here that was "unlocked", meaning it can be used with any SIM card from any company. My son took the phone to Italy, bought a SIM card there (with an Italian cell phone number), and he's good to go - .12 euros per minute to call within Italy, .56 euros per minute to call the U.S. All incoming calls to his cell phone are free. The SIM card cost 40 euros including 20 euros worth of calling time, and it can be recharged.

2) Second, we had our regular AT&T tri-band cell phone enabled by AT&T for international calling and roaming. The combined charge for both international dialing and international roaming is $10.00 per month. Both incoming and outgoing calls when we are in Europe will be $.99 per minute in most countries (although I think it's as high as $2.29 per minute in Prague). You make and receive calls as though you're in the U.S., so if we're in France and my son wants to call us from Italy, for ex., he would still dial 011-(home area code and phone number).

Note that the phone has to work on the frequency that is used in the particular country. I'm not sure about the V400.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LlamaLarry is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:46 AM
LlamaLarry
Llama Rancher

D'oh! Rick you outed my other message board hangout! Strangely it never occured to me to ask this question there (yeah, I'm dumb) I guess I think of TC first when it comes to SOAK type questions.

On the Cellular One thing, did their customers get split up or sold multiple times? I definitely started out as Cellular One as my trusty Nokia 5120 said "Cellular One" on the main screen from the day I bought it 5 years ago until I retired it this month for the V400. I don't know when I started getting billed by Cingular, but they've definitely been the hand in my pocket for quite some time.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

landrumdh is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for landrumdh Visit landrumdh's homepage! Find more posts by landrumdh Add landrumdh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
landrumdh
Planning a Roadtrip!

Cingulars site should have a rate table for costs using your phone world wide and what countries they support.

My dad has a Siemes he uses world wide via ATT. He's got the super duper got everything account with them through his office so he just goes wherevery he wants and if his phone has a signal it works.

Pretty cool when I dial his local number from home and hear 2-3 US rings then the rings for whatever country he's in at the time.

He said it works properly about 95% of the time and loves the convience. He no longer has to carry 2 phones during his travels since one works everywhere.

He doesn't get text messages reliabily over seas though, not that he understands txt messaging so I don't really use it with him much.

"What is gum, anyway? I looked at the ingredients and the only gum related item I could see was called "gum base." Is that a real thing? Is that the smallest most elemental form of the gum? Or is that like looking at the ingredients for spaghetti and meatballs and seeing "meatballs" listed?" - hefe

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick

quote:
Originally posted by LlamaLarry
On the Cellular One thing, did their customers get split up or sold multiple times? I definitely started out as Cellular One

My comment was based on the fact that my parents' Cellular One account became Verizon. However, that doesn't mean that other Cellular One service areas were not sold off to Verizon (or vice versa, for that matter).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged