TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> M-98? Legal version of M-80?? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

M-98? Legal version of M-80??

I was looking at phantom fireworks website, a chain of fireworks stores and one just recently opend by us, and they sell the M-98. What is different between this and the M-80?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bluenoise is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluenoise Find more posts by bluenoise Add bluenoise to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluenoise
Turn it up!

That website's constant noise kept me from browsing very long. Sure I can hit mute on my speakers, but I shouldn't have to.

jsmeeker: You rock, bluenoise.
Mavenelle: oh, bluenoise... you have MOVED me with this post.
Thaed: Bluenoise is very creative. Listen to Bluenoise.
rhuntington3: You rock Bluenoise! Whoop!
emily: Wow! I think you're my hero, bluenoise!!
Bryanmc: Bluenoise can babysit my kids anytime.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Oh, I absolutely hate that company. I'm on the Direct Marketing Association list of "do not send junk mail" and yet I still get two pieces of crap from them in the last two days. I wouldn't be half surprised if the "out of area" calls I've been getting, despite being on the do not call list, have been them as well.

I'm in a friggin' APARTMENT! Where the frell do they think I'm going to be shooting off fireworks?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I don't know the answer to your question, but my guess would be that it is not nearly as powerful as an M-80. They make them look similar, or in some cases (as the name would suggest) more powerful, but I would be highly suspect. Caveat emptor.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Ill still buy from them, i mean, we usually get $99 worth of crap anyway, and we get a free set with that.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InigoMontoya Visit InigoMontoya's homepage! Find more posts by InigoMontoya Add InigoMontoya to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

As I mentioned in another thread, federal law (read: BATF) prohibits the sale of firecrackers containing more than 0.05 grams of flash powder in them.

The M-80 of days gone by contained 1.00 grams(*).

Put those two statements together and ask yourself again whether or not the M-98 will be equivelent to an M-80....

[smart ass]Well, I suppose it would be if you could figure out how to get 20 M-98's go off all at the same instant. [/smart ass]

Seriously, the only advantage M-98's or M-60's (another "M-80 like" modern firecracker) have over something like a simple Black Cat is a slightly stronger case (thus a *slightly* louder bang) and a waterproof fuse.

If you like throwing firecrackers in swimming pools? Great! If not? You're wasting your money buying into marketing hype.

(*) edit: I'm suddenly having the feeling that I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm wondering if an M-80 had 0.80 grams of flash powder (thus where the name would have come from). Alas, it doesn't really matter to the moral of the story (M-98's being inferior), but I include my doubts for completeness.

Have you sent in your TC-Con '05 deposit?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:05 AM
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Ah well. I'll just stop at a stand too so i can buy some M-80's. They rock! I love blowing up buckets full of watter, upside down.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InigoMontoya Visit InigoMontoya's homepage! Find more posts by InigoMontoya Add InigoMontoya to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
Ah well. I'll just stop at a stand too so i can buy some M-80's. They rock! I love blowing up buckets full of watter, upside down.

You're missing my point.... If you find something called an "M-80" sold legally in the US, it ain't a real M-80 (as those are now illegal to sell to those who are not appropriately licensed).

Here's a quesiton: How old are you? Odds are that if you're under say.... 50 years old, you've never seen an M-80. Perhaps your perceptions of what "rocks" are skewed? Not your fault, if so, just an observation.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I am under the age of 50 and I have had two real M-80's in my lifetime. They were fun, but not as much fun as I have had.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jfelbab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jfelbab Visit jfelbab's homepage! Find more posts by jfelbab Add jfelbab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfelbab
WineBoZo

I'm over 50 and I remember M80's. I remember how they would turn mailboxes into pumpkin shaped things if they stayed on the posts at all. I also used to love buzz bombs. It's amazing I survived my own childhood.

Hey tomo_kun, don't try flushing them down your commode to send MMSD a message. Could collapse the whole deep tunnel.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:03 AM
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

A lil north to do that, it would take a while XD.

Edit: Yes i am connected to MMSD And i live a half hour north X_X.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DavidTigerFan is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DavidTigerFan Find more posts by DavidTigerFan Add DavidTigerFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DavidTigerFan
Tree?

Amazing what 4 large bottle rockets, a pair of pliers, an empty shotgun shell and duct tape can do....not that I've ever tried this...I heard about it.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DavidTigerFan is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DavidTigerFan Find more posts by DavidTigerFan Add DavidTigerFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DavidTigerFan
Tree?

Oh and the bottle rockets come with WP fuses also....

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vman41 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vman41 Find more posts by vman41 Add vman41 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vman41
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by InigoMontoya

The M-80 of days gone by contained 1.00 grams(*).

(*) edit: I'm suddenly having the feeling that I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm wondering if an M-80 had 0.80 grams of flash powder (thus where the name would have come from).

According to "What is an M-80", it contains about 3 grams of a particular pyrotechnic compound. The name M-80 is just an arbitrary designation picked out by the military.

When I was a kid, the 'common wisdom' was that an M-80 was a quarter stick of dynamite - clearly ridiculous in hindsight.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:09 PM
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

quote:
Originally posted by vman41
According to "What is an M-80", it contains about 3 grams of a particular pyrotechnic compound. The name M-80 is just an arbitrary designation picked out by the military.

When I was a kid, the 'common wisdom' was that an M-80 was a quarter stick of dynamite - clearly ridiculous in hindsight.

Thanks.

Wow. This has got to be one of the first times in my life where something got smaller with age. Usually it's "the older I get the better I/it was."

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

Under 50 (barely ).

We put m80's under an upside down metal garbage can in a deep puddle of water...

yowzers!!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bgreen5 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bgreen5 Find more posts by bgreen5 Add bgreen5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bgreen5
Mister Man

When I was growing up, the folklore was that "an M-80 was equivalent to a quarter of a stick of dynamite".

(whether a stick of dynamite only comes in one size is another question entirely, I suppose)

I have these things (referred to as M-25's, I think) which are "equivalent to a half of an M-80".

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgickler is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgickler Find more posts by jgickler Add jgickler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I once bought some "m-80s" in Tijuana. They looked to be hand rolled, and not at all safe. When we lit them, I can tell you that they were much larger then anything else that we had ever seen. The fact that we actually bought, "smuggled" and lit Mexican fireworks is a testament to my monumental stupidity during my teenage years.

Other stupid firework ideas included making giant flash pots from sparklers. We would buy out the sparklers after the 4th, then strip the stuff of the wires, and light 5-10 boxes worth of sparklers at one time. We would also have bottle rocket wars, lighting them and holding the sticks until they took off. It's amazing I still have all of my digits.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jhausmann is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jhausmann Find more posts by jhausmann Add jhausmann to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhausmann
Diogenes-type seeker

quote:
Originally posted by InigoMontoya
You're missing my point.... If you find something called an "M-80" sold legally in the US, it ain't a real M-80 (as those are now illegal to sell to those who are not appropriately licensed).

Here's a quesiton: How old are you? Odds are that if you're under say.... 50 years old, you've never seen an M-80. Perhaps your perceptions of what "rocks" are skewed? Not your fault, if so, just an observation.

I'm 47 and I've seen them (at least I think so). Cylinder-shaped, around 2 inches in length, , silver with water -proofed fuse coming out of middle of m-80 (as opposed to the ends).

_added after reading entire thread:

After going to the link, yup, I've seen and used em. A group of us took some out with a huntling slingshot (35+ years ago) and Arc'd them over a cornfield. The damage to stalks was amazing. I can imagine what they would do to a person...

Last edited by jhausmann on 06-30-2004 at 02:05 AM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randyf is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for randyf Find more posts by randyf Add randyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randyf
*Null*

quote:
Originally posted by vman41

Too bad there's not someone in the group that is an explosives expert.

Then we could get an accurate description

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged