TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> SOAK: DVD burner capabilities? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TreborPugly is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TreborPugly Find more posts by TreborPugly Add TreborPugly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreborPugly
Unreal!

SOAK: DVD burner capabilities?

So I just got a new laptop that has a DVD burner,
(NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A) but there was no documentation for it included, and nothing on the DELL support page for this computer's configuration, other than listing that this hardware is on the machine. Any advice on how to determine what capabilities it has? I've already written a couple of regular DVD+R's, but I'm wondering if it can also do DVD-R's, or DVD-RW. I'm assuming there is DVD+RW media, although I found none at the store I bought my DVD+R's. I bought a two pack of DVD-RW, thinking that perhaps this recorder could do both, but I don't want to open it without a reasonable expectation that it can handle this media.

I've tried NEC's web site with no success so far.

Secondary question: I burned a bunch of MP3's to a DVD+R, and finalized it, but my DVD player does not recognize it. It can handle MP3 CD's, but I'm now thinking that MP3-DVD's is not a standard capability of a DVD player. Is this a correct conclusion?

Thanks.

Treb.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic
TiVo Forum Special Member

http://www.vcdhelp.com

They have a fantastic database on the capabilities of burners and players.

If it handles MP3-CD's, it should be able to handle MP3-DVD's.
Check the above site for that as well. (I have a cheap $25 DVD player that can play MP3-DVD's)

It is possible that your player doesn't support Long Names or something like that.

Earl

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nataylor is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nataylor Find more posts by nataylor Add nataylor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nataylor
Curiously Strong

From here:

Write support CDR,DVDR: 16xCDR,10xCDRW,4xDVD+R,4xDVD+RW

Read speed CD/DVD-ROM: 24xCD-ROM,8xDVD-ROM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TreborPugly is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TreborPugly Find more posts by TreborPugly Add TreborPugly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Thanks guys. Searching some more did reveal a manual of sorts from Dell, which included the specs.
Those links are great resources too!

Treb.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JerryLBell is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JerryLBell Find more posts by JerryLBell Add JerryLBell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JerryLBell

quote:
Secondary question: I burned a bunch of MP3's to a DVD+R, and finalized it, but my DVD player does not recognize it. It can handle MP3 CD's, but I'm now thinking that MP3-DVD's is not a standard capability of a DVD player. Is this a correct conclusion?

I think many DVD players can handle DVDs with MP3 files on them, but the players have a limit as to how many files they can recognize on a given disc. I've had CDs with well over 100 MP3 files play just fine but when I put several hundred MP3 files in the root of a DVD, I couldn't play it on any DVD player I could get my hands on.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Dell drives ONLY support DVD+R/W. Even if the drive they're based on supports dual format writing, Dell specifically disables DVD-R/W support via firmware.

On the plus side Dell just recently started shipping both desktop and notebook drives capable of Double Layer writing, so you might have one of those.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged