TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Safari <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rangers4me is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rangers4me Find more posts by Rangers4me Add Rangers4me to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rangers4me
The One and Only

Safari

I am going on a safari in Africa and was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or books on filming animals and/or safaris.

I am bringing a Canon GL2, does anyone know of any accessories that may help me along the way.

Thanks!

"Do you have it? GUTS!"

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Completely NOT what I was expecting.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
Completely NOT what I was expecting.

Me niether..

(I have had a lot of Kool-Aid)

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rangers4me is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rangers4me Find more posts by Rangers4me Add Rangers4me to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rangers4me
The One and Only

Sorry, I do like the web browser too.

"Do you have it? GUTS!"

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bluenoise is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluenoise Find more posts by bluenoise Add bluenoise to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluenoise
Turn it up!

I was expecting it to be a thread about another Apple WWDC announcement, but then I was thinking "African Safari" might be the topic, though that's a long shot.

To answer your question, you could search for professional photographers' web sites that feature the types of shots you want to take. Send them e-mail asking for tips and suggestions. I would think many of them would be happy to talk shop with you.

Have fun!

jsmeeker: You rock, bluenoise.
Mavenelle: oh, bluenoise... you have MOVED me with this post.
Thaed: Bluenoise is very creative. Listen to Bluenoise.
rhuntington3: You rock Bluenoise! Whoop!
emily: Wow! I think you're my hero, bluenoise!!
Bryanmc: Bluenoise can babysit my kids anytime.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Atleast 12 gauge if not larger is necessary for anything of large game.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Safari

quote:
Originally posted by Rangers4me
I am going on a safari in Africa and was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or books on filming animals and/or safaris.

I am bringing a Canon GL2, does anyone know of any accessories that may help me along the way.

Great Camera Choice!

Be SURE to bring lots of fully charged long capacity batteries. Otherwise you'll be cursing yourself every time you lug around your dead camera. I'm not sure what Safaris are like, but it's more than likely you'll not be able to recharge, at least conveniently. You may consider picking up a car charger or adapter for your Canon.

More tapes than you'll think you'll need. A couple of sharpies for labeling your tapes on the spot (I like to label them BEFORE I stick them in the camera... saves alot of time and tape reviewing later). You might want to even bring a little notebook along to log what you've shot. Not shot by shot... that's not really realistic, but generally what's on each tape. Lens cleaning fluid and tissues. A tripod, if you want to bother carrying it. At the very least one of those little mini tripods. Maybe instead of a Tripod, a monopod... just a single leg to help you brace the camera. Those are really wonderfully useful. And take alot less time to set up and use.

You may want to bring along a wireless mic to hook up to your guide so you can capture his comments more clearly. And if you do, plenty of replacement batteries for that.

Oh, and a cleaning tape is essential too. Maybe some canned air to blow the dust off of your camera.

Make sure your camera bag is roomy enough for all those accessories (excluding the tripod). If not, you won't regret buying a bigger bag. If it's too big, you can always carry some souvenirs home in it.

And the last thing I would suggest is to bring along a still camera of some sort as well. You'll be able to incorporate them into your final video. And if something happens that demands a quick shot, it's quicker than firing up your video camera, especially if your GL2 is packed away.

I don't have any specific tips for for filming Safaris, but in general, take shots of stuff you think you won't need. Like people reacting to what's going on. Shots you can use to break up the monotony of tiny animals in the distance. Try to get as close as you can before using the zoom, which even with stabilization will be shaky when you zoom way in. Take pictures of signs that show where you are. Try not to show your transitions in camera. Instead of zooming in or panning across to your subject, stop the camera, frame your subject, then start it back up again. Don't be afraid to use landscape and natural objects to frame your pictures, such as trees and rocks along the sides of your shots. Many times they will give added depth and dimension. Or if you're taking shots through long grass, have some tips of grass right at the bottom of your camera, blowing in the wind (while your subject is in focus of course). Very cool effect.

And have fun! Remember the experience is more important than the picture.

listen
get

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

Some way to charge the camera battery from a 12V source probably would be handy...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bluenoise is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluenoise Find more posts by bluenoise Add bluenoise to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluenoise
Turn it up!

I happened to be reading a photographer's site for my own selfish reasons and I found this link:

What Camera and Lenses to Take on an African Safari

There you go.

jsmeeker: You rock, bluenoise.
Mavenelle: oh, bluenoise... you have MOVED me with this post.
Thaed: Bluenoise is very creative. Listen to Bluenoise.
rhuntington3: You rock Bluenoise! Whoop!
emily: Wow! I think you're my hero, bluenoise!!
Bryanmc: Bluenoise can babysit my kids anytime.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged