TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Numbers stations, steganography, and SPAM <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

Numbers stations, steganography, and SPAM

This is kind of a ramble, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time and for some reason I decided to write it up today:

Any old SWLs out there remember Numbers Stations?

If you were trying to design a replacement method of broadcasting information to multiple sources, what could be better than e-mail? But you still need to make the information hard to detect and hard to decode. This is where I see Steganography coming in. But you can't just be sending out your images to large groups of people and expect nobody to notice...so make the message look like SPAM.

Lots of SPAM seems to be meaningless, or contain links that don't work, etc. But a lot of it also contains images. So you encode your messages/numbers in an image, put it in a seemingly innocuous SPAM message, and send it out to a million people. The receivers have made sure their e-mail addresses are on all the major SPAM lists, so they get it....

That's all.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MarkofT is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MarkofT Find more posts by MarkofT Add MarkofT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MarkofT

I think hiding messages in spam was mentioned on Slashot once or twice. I'm not sure if anyone enver connected Steganography with that or not. It would be a good way as no one has discovered a way to scan images for steganographic information.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sWampy is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 07:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sWampy Visit sWampy's homepage! Find more posts by sWampy Add sWampy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sWampy
TiVo Forum Special Member

Maybe they can't be detected if they are encoded by some piece of custom unreleased software, but images made with well known programs like invisible secrects can be easily detected.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged