TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> Visiting London w/ kids - suggestions? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TrinaLC is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrinaLC Find more posts by TrinaLC Add TrinaLC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrinaLC

Visiting London w/ kids - suggestions?

Will be visiting London (as stated in another thread) in mid-April. Kids 9 and 11. Any suggestions? We plan to do the "major" attractions such as the Tower of London/Crown Jewels, V&A museum, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, etc.

I would welcome any "offbeat" suggestions that might appeal to kids. (Like in Paris, visiting the sewers!)

Also - any good day trips by train?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

if the weather is up to it a visit to the "seaside" can be fun. Brighton is about an hour south by train and has some fun stuff going on... mind you, if you stay near the NJ / NY sea front i guess Brighton might be a little tame.

if you're thinking of doing Madame Tussauds waxworks place check out their website for advance tickets http://www.madame-tussauds.com/site...n/frontdoor.htm as the queue can be pretty big.

my kids (similar ages at the time) enjoyed the London Dungeon http://www.thedungeons.com/ and while they may not be Disney/Universal our Chessington World of Adventures - http://www.chessington.co.uk/ , Thorpe Park - http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/Default.asp and Legoland - http://www.lego.com/eng/legoland/windsor/ are OK. Thorpe Park might be a bit young for your kids but they seem to have up'd its age appeal since i last checked. Watch out for opening dates as they may not have reopened in time for your visit.

will add more later if i think of anything else

stuart

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrinaLC is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 05:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrinaLC Find more posts by TrinaLC Add TrinaLC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrinaLC

SjP - great suggestions, and thanks for taking the time to post the links!

I hadn't thought of an adventure park, was thinking more about traditional historical venues - but we have 8 days, and that would be a real treat for the kids! Thanks!!

And of course if you do think of anything else ...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrinaLC is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 05:54 AM
TrinaLC

I just checked out the Dungeon website - it looked really scary! How intense is it? My 11 year old (boy) would love it, but my 9 year old DD is pretty sensitive ...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 05:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

it's been a while since i was there (daughter was maybe 11 or 12 at the time, she's 21 in april) so i don't know what changes they've made since then.

at the time i remember my kids thinking it could have been a bot gorier but they may not be ideal candidates for comparison (younger brother had got older sister into horror movies on telly etc.) and they were visiting me, for the first time, in london so were pretty much in charge of the outings.

i'd *guess* it'd be OK for the most part but if there is a split day to be organised then maybe this is it. the tate modern isn't too far away, maybe the boys can do the scary stuff while the girls steep themselves in a wee bit of culture (stereotyping or what!!! )

stuart

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

The London Aquarium is a pretty good place to visit - broad age appeal and has great "wow" factor. Also the London Eye (aka the Millennium Wheel) is an amazing way of spending 20 minutes. It isn't cheap - but if you can cope with heights (I normally can't but had no problems bizarrely) it is a great way of seeing London from a different point of view.

The London Eye

London Aquarium

Enjoy your visit!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 02-02-2003 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

I thought the Imperial War Museum was good fun. Airy and modernised, with plenty of full size exhibits; it has won a few awards.

Walk along the South Bank of the Thames, between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge if you like a bit of exercise. There are some interesting sights along the way, including the Globe Theatre.

I also like Greenwich, which includes the National Maritime Museum and the Cutty Sark. An interesting way to get there is via the Docklands Light Railway from the City of London. Although the railway now goes under the Thames, you can also walk under the Thames through a foot funnel.

Ian.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoNk is offline Old Post 02-03-2003 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoNk Visit JoNk's homepage! Find more posts by JoNk Add JoNk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoNk

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

London science museum is great fun for the kids (and Dads )
Lots of interactive exhibits and some talks and demonstration's.
Jon

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dr Spanner is offline Old Post 02-03-2003 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr Spanner Find more posts by Dr Spanner Add Dr Spanner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dr Spanner

I took my boy to the Science musseum and the natural history museum, they are both free, next to each other and great fun with lots of stuff to see and do.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrinaLC is offline Old Post 02-04-2003 05:22 AM
TrinaLC

thanks for the further suggestions ...

and keep 'em coming!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rolf213 is offline Old Post 02-04-2003 04:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rolf213 Find more posts by Rolf213 Add Rolf213 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolf213

I always enjoyed the planetarium when I was a kid. Haven't been for a lot of years, obviously. It's right next to Madame Tussauds, so it's easy to do them both (think that you can actually get dual tickets, too).

http://www.london-planetarium.com/

But then, I also enjoyed riding around on the underground, so maybe I was a weird kid..!

Rolf.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AMc is offline Old Post 02-04-2003 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AMc Find more posts by AMc Add AMc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AMc

quote:
I also enjoyed riding around on the underground, so maybe I was a weird kid..!

Nope when we lived in Leicester a ride on the London Underground was almost as exciting as the childrens' gallery at the science museum (all those buttons to press). Sadly the Underground is less exciting now I live in London and have to use it
I wonder if the science museum is still as good as I remember?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 02-05-2003 04:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

quote:
Originally posted by AMc
Nope when we lived in Leicester a ride on the London Underground was almost as exciting as the childrens' gallery at the science museum (all those buttons to press). Sadly the Underground is less exciting now I live in London and have to use it
I wonder if the science museum is still as good as I remember?

I suspect you will find bits of it are virtually, and thankfully, unchanged!

I went last year, and found it a very pleasant way of spending an afternoon. Wouldn't suggest you eat there though...

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Noddy Holder is offline Old Post 02-06-2003 03:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Noddy Holder Find more posts by Noddy Holder Add Noddy Holder to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noddy Holder

Thumbs down Please

Ditch the kids , and enjoy yourself

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 02-06-2003 05:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

History wise, the Tower of London is worth a go, crown jewels & all. I always enjoyed Hampton Court (a royal palace) when I was a kid - especially the maze. I'd second the Science Museum as a tip.

Most US visitors seem to like to take in Stonehenge (ancient monument), Bath (roman hot baths), and Salisbury (cathedral). But I'm not sure if kids would be up to the culture!

If you want to show them Englishness, take them to a football or rugby union game. There are many clubs in London playing on Saturdays. I make a point of going to US sports when in America and it really does point up the differences in our cultures! Rugby would probably be the best shot (friendlier) - see if there is a game on here:

http://www.quins.co.uk

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrinaLC is offline Old Post 02-06-2003 11:30 PM
TrinaLC

excellent idea on the rugby - there are some things the girls want to do, this the boys could do!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bibbouk is offline Old Post 02-16-2003 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bibbouk Visit bibbouk's homepage! Find more posts by bibbouk Add bibbouk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bibbouk

I say check out the London Dungeon, I went there when I was 10 and loved it.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

UncUgly is offline Old Post 02-17-2003 07:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UncUgly Find more posts by UncUgly Add UncUgly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UncUgly
Slow Poster

We did a day out last September

Frog, Fish, Eye

The fish was the London Aquarium - very nicely done

The Eye was the London Eye - excellent - we were approaching dusk - so the sun was low but still excellent and worth doing

The Frog was a bit different Frog - certainly different from a standard guided bus tour

Kids had a great time but were totally knackered at the end

Also have had a great day out at the Tower of London which is worth a day !

Rgds

uu

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randap is offline Old Post 02-18-2003 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for randap Find more posts by randap Add randap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randap
Knee-down scratcher?

I'd go to Chessington rather than Thorpe Park for one day. Then I'd spend the rest of the time somewhere nice, rather than London........

TiVo 6023 and 6021 (unmodded), SkyD, Pioneer 7.1 amp, Phillips DVD, Celestion speakers, Wharfedale Loudpanels (fantastic), Kwak ZX9R-C1 - Blueflame exhaust can makes me weak at the knees......oh, and a new MINI

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjg is offline Old Post 02-20-2003 09:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjg Find more posts by sjg Add sjg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjg

If it's still there then (and I can't imagine them dismantling it in a hurry), it's well worth a trip to the Tate Modern to see Anish Kapoor's massive sculpture. BBC story about it here. Free to get into (they encourage donations though!), so worth popping in if you're wandering along the south bank. It's opposite St Pauls Cathedral, over the not-wobbly-any-more Millenium footbridge.

Thorpe Park these days is much improved and easily the best in the south-east now. They've spent loads over the last couple of years and for 2003 will have two excellent roller coasters and lots of other rides/attractions for all ages. Opens 5th April I think, and it's a pain to get to without a car, although there are apparently shuttle busses from whichever train station is closest.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged