TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Forum Extras > Forum Feedback
>>> Please upgrade to vBulletin v3 <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVoDan is offline Old Post 08-25-2003 10:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoDan Find more posts by TiVoDan Add TiVoDan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoDan

Please upgrade to vBulletin v3

vBulletin 3 has alot of new features including a much improved search. Currently you can't search for "series 2", which is a major pain in the ass, but in v3 searches like that work, which will make this forum better for everyone.

vBulletin's v3 is currently at beta 5, but it is stable enough that it is used for vBulletin's own support forums. Please uprgrade.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

Not by a long shot. It has only been tested on SMALLER forums and nothing major. I would not go to beta software for a site this size I am sorry to say. Not to mention you are not correct when it comes to the search, it is still limited.

Now Booking for Oct. 29th Sailing.

Click For More Information

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoDan is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoDan Find more posts by TiVoDan Add TiVoDan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoDan

quote:
Originally posted by David Bott
Not by a long shot. It has only been tested on SMALLER forums and nothing major. I would not go to beta software for a site this size I am sorry to say. Not to mention you are not correct when it comes to the search, it is still limited.

The vBulletin Community Forum is NOT a small forum:

Members: 32,059.
Threads: 76,669.

I am also not wrong about the search features:

Go to http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php

Type in "series 2" (with the quotes).
You will get results (even ones about tivo).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bott Visit David Bott's homepage! Find more posts by David Bott Add David Bott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bott
Administrator

Then they must have just changed it to use MySQL ver 4 and changed the way they do the search. For it was NOT to be part of ver 3 due to MySQL 4 not being on a lot of systems when it was being made. (Evan hacks were already made for it.)

You need to understand, I have been working with Vb and their staff for some time now. Also, why they may have some posts and accounts...look at the # of users on-line. History is nothing, active users is the ticket....Right now they have 123 on-line and this site has 402. AVS Forum, our main site has 1,587 right now.

I will get to ver 3 when I feel it is ready...but right now, no large sites are using it. Though it is supose to be batter for large sites. We had to really hack our sites to make them work with this much traffic.

Example...as of 8/22/03 at 9:40am...

AVSF has 281,605 topics on-line (threads).
AVSF has 2,499,628 posts made.
AVSF has 76,283 registered members and growing.
AVSF receives, on average, 3,500 new posts a day.
AVSF receives, on average, 100 new members a day.
AVSF sees over 30,000 unique visitors a day.
AVSF produces 18 million page views a month.
AVSF transmits an average of 1.7 Terabytes of compressed data monthly.

See my point of wanting to be sure?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
AVSF transmits an average of 1.7 Terabytes of compressed data monthly.

Now THAT is an impressive figure!!

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 07:59 AM
David Bott
Administrator

Now take into account that the site, like this, is also mostly text.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hughvh is offline Old Post 09-06-2003 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hughvh Find more posts by hughvh Add hughvh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hughvh
Advanced Member

quote:
Now take into account that the site, like this, is also mostly text.

<gasp> I'm in awe.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 09-07-2003 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

David, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of bandwidth are you running on?

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HomeTheaterJock is offline Old Post 09-07-2003 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HomeTheaterJock Find more posts by HomeTheaterJock Add HomeTheaterJock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomeTheaterJock

The forum is running so smoothly....
Not that I get a vote but it seems to me that with it running this well, why take a chance?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoDan is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 04:40 AM
TiVoDan

quote:
I will get to ver 3 when I feel it is ready...but right now, no large sites are using it. Though it is supose to be batter for large sites. We had to really hack our sites to make them work with this much traffic.

Well David, it's been 10 months since I made my first requst for the site to upgrade to vB3. It's now at ver 3.0.1, do you feel it is ready yet?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 05:09 AM
David Bott
Administrator

Sorry...not at this time. It still has issues. Version 3.0.1 came out quickly and they are working on issues and even looking at 3.1. Not to mention...a site like this...two days of conversion time at least.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 02:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

2 DAYS!!!

What will we all do? TCF Withdrawl hurts bad.

But, to be serious. The 1.7tb of data amazed me, so how much space does all the data take up for TCF?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bott is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 08:43 PM
David Bott
Administrator

The TiVo Community database is 1.8 gigs in size. The bandwidth mentioned is 1.9TB for AVS Forum and TiVo Community.

"TCF Withdrawl hurts bad." LOL....I heard that before.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged