TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cwaring is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

DVD Recorders

As there are quite a few video-philes on this forum, I thought I'd just ask a couple of questions about DVD Players & Recorders.

1. Panasonic S35
Has anyone esle got one of these? If so, which DVD-R/W format does it play. I have got one but I can't find any reference as to which format can play.

2. Ellion DVD-R900
Anyone here got one of these? If so, I'd appreciate your comments as I can't seem to find any on-line reviews of this make/model.

Finally, can anyone recommend any other sub-£200 DVD Recorders?

Thanks.

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BaggieBoy is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 03:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BaggieBoy Find more posts by BaggieBoy Add BaggieBoy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BaggieBoy
Large Member

According to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers the Panasonic S35 can play just about every format.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dr Spanner is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr Spanner Find more posts by Dr Spanner Add Dr Spanner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dr Spanner

As you can see here

I have given up with my DVD player and am also looking to replace it with a DVD writer. Any suggestions of a good one sub £500 would be appreciated...

Last edited by Dr Spanner on 02-16-2004 at 04:49 PM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 04:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by BaggieBoy
According to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers the Panasonic S35 can play just about every format.

Hehe! Was on that site last night and never thought to check Thanks!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 06:49 PM
cwaring

Philips DVDR70

Comments on this model, please!

I know there are 6 recording qualities on this machine. As this Nmb/s means nothing to me, can someone please give me a 'real world' guide to the different qualities.

Thanks.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 07:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

Hi carl

I bough a MultiRegion version from RGB direct. WOW, what can I say.

Quality wise of the recordings. I find the 6hr quality aprox like medium of Tivo, but this depends on the amount of movement in the images you record, fast paced sports etc may get a blocky effect like basic setting on Tivo. 4hr (M4) setting like a VCR, and the others 1, 2 and 2.5 hrs qualitys are like Tivos best, and High.

the manual put the qualitys as

M1-High quality
M2-Standard (equal to pre-recorded DVD)
M2x-Standard plus (better than S-VHS)
M3-S-VHS qulaity (3hrs)
M4-Extended play (better than VHS)
M6-Super Long Play (VHS Picture quality)

I bought a set of 6 sample discs, of which 1 was a RW version. Very usefull to play with, as the DVDR doesn't come with any media. I use Datawrite DVD+R discs for archiving. Not had any problems with the recorder yet, 4 compleate discs, and the RW disc for several clashes from the freeview box, whilst tivo uses the sky box.

HTH

Chris

any further Q's, I will try and give an honest, and unbiased answer.

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 08:26 PM
cwaring

Thanks for that, Woody!

The story is that my parents are buying for me but I am giving them my DVD player. This is so that I can record things for them and send them the DVDs instead of VHS cassettes. They live in Spain, you see.

I normally record stuff on video at LP quality so anything above that is a bonus. However, with it being digital, I would presume they will be expecting better than VHS quality. This is fine for most single doco's and short-run UK shows, but I am recording Season 3 of "24" for them (they loved 1 & 2!) and this could take quite a few DVDs at high quality so they may have to put up with something less

One further question. Has the machine made many (any?) coasters for you? I have read about people having problems with DVD+RWs. What's your experience of this?

Oh yeah. "I bought a set of 6 sample discs...". Sample discs? You mean a pack of all-different-brand disks?

Ebuyer are doing Philips DVD+RW for £1.67 each, incl VAT. (Item # 52632) I plan on using those.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cwaring on 02-22-2004 at 08:31 PM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-23-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

Carl. I remeber your parents live in Spain, sending them DVD's will be much cheaper on the postage

6hr mode is fine. I use it for recording films from tivo. About the same quality as LP VHS, or slightly better..

Not had any coasters with it, 4 comleate discs using DVD+R, and halfway through the 5th , plus the RW disc as mentioned above for time shifting. The DVDR hasn't had any firmware updates by me, but this doesn't mean that the guys at RGB Direct didn't do it. Even if its an old firmware, I don't plan to do anything about it, as the player/recording features work 100%

The 6 disc sample pack, is different make discs. I bought this as some people claim different discs work, and some don't, the coaster bit you reffer to I think. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to make much diference, but bought a 25cake of datawrites, as they work OK, and are the cheapest. works out at about 79pence per disc, including postage.

All come from SVP communications, who were the cheapest at time of ordering, and they are the only people who sell sample packs.

One thing that I have noticed, and this may/not apply to you, is the discs don't play in all DVD players. The finalised DVD+R discs from my machine wont work in my Orion DVD. Not tried to use the +RW disc in the standalone player.

Chris

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-23-2004 03:11 AM
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by woody
The DVDR hasn't had any firmware updates by me, but this doesn't mean that the guys at RGB Direct didn't do it. Even if its an old firmware, I don't plan to do anything about it, as the player/recording features work 100%

Nice to know that 6hr mode is okay!
Just in case you think about it some more Link
If you can't stand 45mb download just gimme a shout and I'll put it on CD for ya

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 12:46 AM
woody

Thanks for the offer carl.. might hold you to it one day when it starts making those nice personalised coasters al 45mb download on a dial-up conection would be a hell.

Just had a look at the firmware version. It actually came with the most recent release, so perhaps all the bugs have been fixed. date 20030701 version LFF13K.

chris

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 07:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

quote:
<snip>
One thing that I have noticed, and this may/not apply to you, is the discs don't play in all DVD players. The finalised DVD+R discs from my machine wont work in my Orion DVD. Not tried to use the +RW disc in the standalone player.

Chris

This is true of a lot of recordable DVD media. Older players can have trouble recognising the DVD due the reflectivity being different to standard DVD-VIDEO movies. The same is more likely with +RW so you may find +R or -R work but a +RW doesn't. Also there is a problem with book types. When you record to a +R in a consumer recorder, the DVD booktype is DVD-ROM which may not be recognised by the old player (expecting DVD-VIDEO). When you record to +RW, the booktype is DVD+RW by default but, you can invoke 'bitsetting' which changes the booktype of the +RW to something that the old player might accept. Also note that while you can happily play unfinalised +R discs in your +R machine, no DVD-PLAYER will play one until it has been finalised.

If you get a Philips or other + format recorder, check out the website and forums at http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 07:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

quote:
Thanks for the offer carl.. might hold you to it one day when it starts making those nice personalised coasters al 45mb download on a dial-up conection would be a hell.

Just had a look at the firmware version. It actually came with the most recent release, so perhaps all the bugs have been fixed. date 20030701 version LFF13K.

chris

There is a later release FF16a (i think) which is installed on a number of recent Philips machines and is available from the Philips download site but, the +RW forums have reported some problems with this release and all it really seems to give you is some more characters for titles and the inclusion of 8x FF/RW on the remote (ie. it goes x4 x8 x32). So if it aint broke, dont fix it. FF13K seems fairly stable.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
The story is that my parents are buying for me but I am giving them my DVD player. This is so that I can record things for them and send them the DVDs instead of VHS cassettes. They live in Spain, you see.

Why not get them to buy you a turbonet card, a length of crossover cable and a £70 DVD burner.

Thay could sposore your entry into the world of TiVo hacking.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-24-2004 08:42 PM
cwaring

Ooo. I like that idea

A standard DVD Recorder will be a lot less work, though

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slob is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for slob Find more posts by slob Add slob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slob

I've been using DVDR70 for a couple of months: using TiVo "Save to VCR" to create DVD+RW recording to view on my laptop when away from home.

I've found that it works very well, though there are some niggles:

1. WinDVD cannot skip ahead by 30 secs on these recordings, nor can the progress bar be dragged.
  2. Sometimes WinDVD gets confused about the contents of the menu/chapters/titles
  3. The DVDR70 one-touch record feature stops recording after about 1 hour on a 2hr recording

Re 1. I think some indexing is missing on +RW: there is no option to finalize these disks and I haven't bothered with any editing.

I suspect that WinDVD is probably treating all of the DVD+RW's as the same one, since I get problem 2 if I swap dics on the laptop without restarting WinDVD.(Version 5, BTW)

I'd be very interested if anyone else with TiVo has seen problem 3. OTR is a convenient way to work with "Save to VCR", since you can cue up Tivo then hit Record on the DVDR70 and bump up the record time in 30min increments to cover many likely program times. But when I try it with 2hours, the DVDR70 stops recording after 1hr and a few seconds.

Setting a timed recording to start in a minute and end 2hrs later works fine, but it is a hassle and the index frame doesn't contain the TiVo VCR banner.

I have recently updated firmware from 13k to 16a, but not had time to repeat the test of OTR.

Final comment: The DVDR70 manual is infuriating, though you can get almost everything you need by concentrating hard.

Edit 28 Feb 2004: I have now completed several 2hour OTR recordings successfully. Looks like 16a firmware fixed this problem.

(Edit: spellings!)

Last edited by slob on 02-28-2004 at 04:49 PM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 02:06 AM
woody

quote:
Originally posted by johala_reewi
There is a later release FF16a (i think) which is installed on a number of recent Philips machines and is available from the Philips download site but, the +RW forums have reported some problems with this release and all it really seems to give you is some more characters for titles and the inclusion of 8x FF/RW on the remote (ie. it goes x4 x8 x32). So if it aint broke, dont fix it. FF13K seems fairly stable.

The FF13K on my DVDR70 has 4,8,32x FF speeds already.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 02:11 AM
woody

quote:
Originally posted by slob
[*]The DVDR70 one-touch record feature stops recording after about 1 hour on a 2hr recording]

You acctually need to press 1 more than you would expect. 1 press is record whole disc, 2 presses is 30min, 3 for 1hr so 5 times for the 2hr. Works on mine OK.

quote:
Final comment: The DVDR70 manual is infuriating, though you can get almost everything you need by concentrating hard.
!)

What's a manual . I did actually read it, and found it very easy, if a little to simple, but then its wrote for the non-techie people.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slob is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 12:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for slob Find more posts by slob Add slob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slob

quote:
You acctually need to press 1 more than you would expect. 1 press is record whole disc, 2 presses is 30min, 3 for 1hr so 5 times for the 2hr. Works on mine OK.

Thanks for the heads-up about the number of presses. I'm confident I got enough, because the on-screen and front-panel displays both indicated that a 2hour recording was scheduled. They started counting down from 2.00 to 1.59.59 etc. But then the recording stopped after 1hour and about 13 seconds.

Since upgrading to firmware 16a I have now tried one OTR recording (2hr30min in this case): it worked perfectly. I'll try a few more and see!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

Drat,
New model next may
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi...ews.php?id=5711

Automan.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 05:12 AM
cwaring

Does that mean Ebay will be flooded with DVDR70/80's? Cool

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged