TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johala_reewi is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 07:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

quote:
Originally posted by slob
[*]The DVDR70 one-touch record feature stops recording after about 1 hour on a 2hr recording

I'd be very interested if anyone else with TiVo has seen problem 3. OTR is a convenient way to work with "Save to VCR", since you can cue up Tivo then hit Record on the DVDR70 and bump up the record time in 30min increments to cover many likely program times. But when I try it with 2hours, the DVDR70 stops recording after 1hr and a few seconds.

This has been reported by a few users on the +RW forum. I managed to reproduce the problem on my DVDR70 but now I am on FF16a, i can't seem to do it. Maybe 16a fixes it ? I don't often use OTR, I just leave the unit recording and come back in a couple of hours to check if I have survived the red light of death.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 07:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

quote:
Originally posted by woody
The FF13K on my DVDR70 has 4,8,32x FF speeds already.

The unit has always had these speeds and with a programmable remote, it has been possible to access them without going via the system menu. On the remote that comes with the DVDR70, when you press >> (and hold it down!!) it goes x4 if you repeat, it goes x32 (skipping x8). FF16a fixes this and the x8 is not skipped anymmore.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by johala_reewi
The unit has always had these speeds and with a programmable remote, it has been possible to access them without going via the system menu. On the remote that comes with the DVDR70, when you press >> (and hold it down!!) it goes x4 if you repeat, it goes x32 (skipping x8). FF16a fixes this and the x8 is not skipped anymmore.

Are you sure?. Mine has FF13k, and if I use the >> on the remote supplied it goes x4,x8,x32. Just tried it to make sure. Might be something RGBDirect done when they made it multiregion enabled.

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 06:54 PM
johala_reewi

Maybe there is remote hack to make it work. My DVDR70 came with some early rev firmware that didn't work very well so i went to FF13k and the >> button on the remote just did x4 x32 it didn't start going x4 x8 x32 until I went to FF16a. Curious.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slob is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 04:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slob Find more posts by slob Add slob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slob

Re 2 hour OTR: since updating the firmware to 16a, I have made 2 or 3 good recordings of this duration on the DVDR70. Looks like 16a fixed it.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 02-29-2004 03:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

Unhappy ERROR D80446438

My Blakes Seven DVD boxset arrived yesterday

However, my DVDR80 & DVDR70 players both reboot in the middle of the second episode on each DVD and yes, I'm not alone!

http://www.blakes-7.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...er=asc&start=30

It seems something to do with a smooth layer change or in the case of Philips its a layer stop

I did email Philips yesterday who promise a response in under 24hrs. We shall see!

Automan.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

Anyone every recorded anything onto VD instead of DVD? Don't suppose you'd get a lot of recording time? Was just wondering

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

A friend of mine had similar layer change crash problems on his Philips DVDR880 on Harry Potter DVD. Got an 8 digit AB..... type code half way through the disk. Worked fine on PC.

Took back to Tescos who changed it and has no problems since.

Mind you my 18th month old DVDR890 is at Philips at the moment, crashing at layer changes. Philips are changing the laser unit as that is warranteed for 4 years.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Ian_m
Mind you my 18th month old DVDR890 is at Philips at the moment, crashing at layer changes. Philips are changing the laser unit as that is warranteed for 4 years.

My DVDR890 has started to play up - not recognisising disks etc. How did you organise a return to Philips?

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

I called Philips support on 0870 900 9070, navigated phone system to DVDR support. Person who answered was knowledgeable, as soon as I said words like "not recognising commercial disks", crashing with "AB... 8 digit error code" he immediately said "Fine we will fix it under warranty for free". Can't remember exactly but I think he said 4 year warranty on laser unit, 1 year on rest of unit.

You then write to Philips with a copy of your receipt and the serial number, get a letter acknowledging back and then phone to arrange for them to collect it. They collected mine from my work, next day. Should take about a week.

Not got mine back so can't comment if it works or not.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-01-2004 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Thanks for that info. Now to hunt for my receipt

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-02-2004 10:17 PM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Well I found my receipt and loads of others as well. (I paid HOW MUCH for a 100Mb hard disk!)

Called Philips and, as my problem is, at the moment, only with recorded disks, they are sending me a CD that will update the firmware. Lets hope that will cure it.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-02-2004 10:34 PM
Ian_m

Well after the first couple of crashes around Xmas time, I upgraded mine to FF16, but made no difference.

What was so annoying as sometimes a disk would play fine all the way through, then I would eject the DVD and put it back in and would "faff" for ages before halting with an error code and "disk err" on display.

Anyway a nice lady from Philips has just phoned saying the "laser unit" has been changed and unit has been dispatched for delivery Thursday morning.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-05-2004 02:55 PM
Ian_m

My 890 arrived back yesterday after having the laser unit changed. Same serial number, still tuned into same aerial channels it was left in so not a swap out.

In the short time I had last night wasn't able to find my written down list of software serial numbers, formatter version etc, so unable to check what has changed software/firmware wise.

Played Harry Potter DVD correctly across the layer change a couple of time, where as previously would "go funny".

Recorded 2 hours BBC fine as well (+RW).

Only time will tell.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-05-2004 04:04 PM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

That's good news!

I'm still waiting for the firmware upgrade disk.
Might d/l and install it myself.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-05-2004 04:21 PM
Ian_m

Mine came back with FF12w installed.

(Actually I think this was the last version I installed before it went away, not FF16 as I said above)

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-06-2004 10:34 PM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Got fed up with waiting for the Philips disk so I d/l and burnt my own.

Inserted the cdr and got the following:

Reading
Download
SYSVersion
XXXXXXXX (Too quick to make a note)
InitDisc
MountErr
Err Trayin

Then the disk ejected.

Checked the system version and I think it's still FF11.

I'll wait for the Philips disk but I don't think it'll be any different.

Lets hope it's a laser unit fault and still under warranty

Last edited by Ashley on 03-07-2004 at 01:13 AM

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-08-2004 03:55 PM
Ian_m

quote:
InitDisc
MountErr

Thats duff CD image during upgrade. I blew mine using Nero 5, takes about 15minutes to upgrade firmware.

One thing to watch with upgraded machines, you can no longer edit (ie trim, delete individual programmes, add more programmes to etc) disks created with very old versions of software (on +RW at least). Bit annoying that when you find a disk with 1hr used and want to add more.

All you can do is erase and use again. (Insert disk whilst holding REC or clear, can't remember, or erase on PC).

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-08-2004 04:57 PM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

I also used Nero 5. I made a single session disk (cdrw) and I finalised it. I've tried making two disks with the same result.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-08-2004 05:39 PM
Ian_m

I had problems the first firmware updrade I did, I think the problems were not using Nero 5.5 (I had 5.1 at the time).

Just used a CD-R with ff9o, ff11, ff12g abd ff12w all worked fine. One easy mistake to make (RTFM) is in setting CD writing type of:-

• File System CD-ROM ISO Level 2
• Mode 2/XA
• Character set ISO 9660
• Single session
• Write speed low

I don't think these are Nero defaults.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged