TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ashley is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

I tried a third time to burn an upgrade cd. This time it worked!
I think I had the mode set incorrectly last time.

However after the upgrade the DVDR still does not see a recorded disk that my Sony plays fine.

So back to Philips I think.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

I did the same, didn't work first time I tried to write a CD, then finally read the instructions to write a CD and it worked fine.

I would suspect you have the same fault as mine, needing a change of laser unit. I did numerous upgrades all thinking it would cure the problem, well it did appear to at first, but then dreaded "disk err"s came back each time.

Looks like mine is finally fixed, left it playing by itself last night (whilst I did more useful things) Shrek, followed by Harry Potter and finally Monsters Inc and saw no errors. The above sequence would have produced at least one error/crash hang before the fix. Previously I would have come back and found the machine in standby after having crashed.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-19-2004 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Update

Phoned Philips again and after doing some more things such as resets. (Holding down the standby button whilst applying power) they said write to Philips CC enclosing proof of purchase.

This I did on the 11th and today received a letter from Philips saying:

'....it is unfortunately the case that such complex apparatus of whatever manufacture may require some service attention from time to time and it is not possible to predict when or how often this may happen.

It is for this reason that we make specific arrangements with our trade distributors to ensure that the user is able to enjoy service on a free of charge basis throughout the period of the guarentee. Any service attention outside this time would normally be on a chargeable basis.

However in light of the unusual circumstances outlined in your correspondence and as it not our wish that you should remain unhappy we are, as a gesture of goodwill and without prejudice, prepared to cover the cost of the repair currently required by your product.

If you wish to avail yourself of this offer, we would ask that you call Servicecare on ........... in order to arrange ........ collection of your equipment.............................

Once again, I apologise for the disappointment you have suffered but trust that we have gone some way towards restoring your faith in Philips and our products and that upon taking the above action matters may be resolved to your complete satisfaction.

Yours sincerely......................................

Unquote.

There was no mention of a 4 year guarentee on the laser unit.

It's being collected on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-22-2004 03:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

When I first phoned I was asking specifically about warranty, before I mentioned the fault.

I was told DVD recorders were 12 months on the unit with 4 years on the laser unit.

Anyway I got the laser unit replaced on 18month old machine and since its return it has been fine, not seen one funny, error, skip etc at layer changes whilst watching numerous DVD's.

One point that is annoying is +RW disks written using the very old software revisions are not editable (or even format-able) using the latest fitted version of software. Something to do with UDF formats I think. Bit of a pain as I have a couple of +RW disks with hardly anything on and I can't add to. Can't remember how to erase the disk I think it was insert disk whilst pressing record on remote ??? (or just use PC).

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-23-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

DVD+R/W Media

I'm confused Yes, again

In the leaflet for the Philips DVDR70/75/80 it say's "Up to 6 hours video recording per side". Fine. I get that and it's great. Can't seem to find any double-sided DVD+RWs though; only single-sided with a label on. I assume I'm just not looking hard enough? Will they cost more than single-sided media? I assume there's no way to label them either?

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 03-23-2004 04:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

They are literally two single sided disks stuck together like the old DVD10s used to be; I really wouldn't bother.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 03-23-2004 04:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

... and due to low-volume sales, they are likely to be extremely expensive.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

just stick to the single sided discs, at least you can label them.

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

True, but I'll get a maximum of 6 hours at not much better than VHS quality Hardly seems worth changing formats!

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

For most people the reason is to get recordings at very much better than VHS quality, plus full random access.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 03:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

if you want the maximum of 6 hrs, then yes the quallity isn't much different from a VCR. Just that as stuart has said, you can get instant accesss to programs without all that fastforwarding/rewinding. this IMHO is worth the change alone, after getting use to this with Tivo.

chris

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 04:42 AM
cwaring

Yes, I'd forgotten about that when I wrote that post. A very good point

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 03-24-2004 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

That's why I got a DVD recorder ! I was fed up with FF/RW ing through tapes to find the start of the program and having to play tapes to find out what was on the tape in the first place !! And tracking problems, dirty heads, tapes getting stuck. etc. DVDR solved all that with each recording nicely indexed (with picture) and channel/date/time stamped. Instant access and you can delete a recording it once you have seen it. It was heaven, then I got Tivo

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 04:47 AM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley
It's being collected on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Waited in all day. Didn't turn up!

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hdeditor is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hdeditor Find more posts by hdeditor Add hdeditor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hdeditor
New Member+1 rank

Can someone clear up a question for me?

When you record a DVD in different modes, it results in different length DVD's (higher quality = less record time.)

Does changing the quality mode have any effect on whether a DVD can play on a consumer DVD player?

Is there one quality mode that the DVD playes will play and only with that quality mode, or can consumer DVD players play any DVD recorded in any quality mode (assuming it was ever compatible)?

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 06:43 AM
cwaring

I have a DVD+R/W here with a few test recordings at different qualities and they all play fine on my standard DVD player.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 05:35 AM
cwaring

Well, I've been and gone and done it. £226 from Richer Sounds.

Only problem is, it was sold as "NEW" but it isn't . I can tell 'cos the setup routine didn't initiate when I first plugged it in!

I'm not that bothered, (I'll see if I can get a partial refund, maybe ) but is there a way to get it to re-start the 'virgin mode' setup again?

Thanks.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:00 AM
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

If it's the same as the 890 try holding down the STANDBY button whilst plugging the power in.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:37 AM
cwaring

Anyone know of a place in central Leeds that does bulk DVDs (+RW & +R)? Could avoid P&P if there was as I'm in there every day!

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 01:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

I've always found mailorder a lot lot cheaper. svp/blankdiscshop is well worth joining their mailing list. They very often have 99p shipping weekends, so buying 50 or so discs at a time works out very cheap indeed.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged