TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

Yeah. I was going to use them, but I thought I might be able to save the £5 P&P Also, with me starting this course this week, I won't be in when they deliver. Plus, I'm in a hurry to play with my new toy

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

If you have a local Maplin store, they are probably the best bet.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

I do, and they're not

Anyway, I decided to go into town and try every store I could find.

Staples - Don't have any
PCWorld/Game/HMV - Overpriced

So I decided to try a new, one-man store that I passed on the bus on my way to the above stores. I didn't try him first 'cos I thought that he had to charge more, just to make rent, etc. How wrong was I?

He had every possible combination of CD/DVD you could want, not a jewel/DVD case in sight and you could have as few/many as you need.

Well, at least I got some exercise

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
Well, I've been and gone and done it. £226 from Richer Sounds.

Only problem is, it was sold as "NEW" but it isn't . I can tell 'cos the setup routine didn't initiate when I first plugged it in!

I'm not that bothered, (I'll see if I can get a partial refund, maybe ) but is there a way to get it to re-start the 'virgin mode' setup again?

Thanks.

If it was multiregion modified I think they have to power it up before it will accept the IR codes to region free it.

I quite often get my media from http://www.bigpockets.co.uk

Automan.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:42 PM
cwaring

All is well. I don't know if this is actually the case, but the guy I spoke to @ RS said his was the same when he bought it, not to follow the manual and he guided be to the right spot!

Just set up my first couple of recordings @ M3. Will see what happens

BTW, I don't have to 'prepare' a blank DVD or anything do I? Looks like I'll have to wait while there's something on it before I can name the disk.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 11:24 PM
cwaring

Does this look like it might work? I want to be able to record to DVD from either Tivo or VCR. I'm not bothered about RGB at this stage as my TV doesn't process it correctly.

EDIT: Reduced size of diagram

Last edited by cwaring on 03-27-2004 at 11:31 PM

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

I would just put the DVDR between the Tivo TV scart and your TV.

You can still record VCR tape to DVDR via Tivo.

Automan.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 01:46 AM
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by Automan

I would just put the DVDR between the Tivo TV scart and your TV.
I can visualise this okay.

You can still record VCR tape to DVDR via Tivo.
Not getting this though, 'cos don't you have to watch the VCR on a bypass? How would that signal get to the DVDR? Would I still be able to watch Tivo whilst transferring from VCR to DVD?

Still, I'll give it a go

PS. Just recoding my first programme onto DVDR. Also found out that this model can't do 'time-shift'. Gotta let it record before watching it. No biggy

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 03:39 AM
Automan

True, when recording from VCR to DVDR you will have to watch it as well as Tivo will be busy.

However Tivo still will be able to record from your STB while the vcr is being recorded to dvdr.

Automan.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 05:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

quote:
Does this look like it might work? I want to be able to record to DVD from either Tivo or VCR. I'm not bothered about RGB at this stage as my TV doesn't process it correctly.

EDIT: Reduced size of diagram

RGB connectivity between Tivo and a DVD Recorder will significantly improve the quality of recordings, even if they are played back composite into your TV. (Avoiding composite footprints and extra PAL code/decode processes is a key element in keeping picture quality up - composite encoding and decoding artefacts cause the MPEG2 encoders to waste data encoding analogue artefacts rather than proper picture information - RGB connectivity helps significantly in the quality stakes, even if the final picture is PAL encoded for display purposes)

I have connected my set-up as follows :

Sky box TV SCART output to Tivo Aux SCART in. (RGB enabled)
Tivo TV SCART output to DVD Recorder SCART input. (RGB enabled)
DVD TV SCART output to TV SCART. (RGB enabled - this would be composite in your case?)

I have then connected my VCR to my DVD Recorder via the S-video and phono audio connectors (on the front panel unfortunately as the Philips 75 doesn't have two rear mounted inputs) - I only use S-video connections cos I have a JVC S-VHS machine - there is a composite phono as well.

This allows me to watch a DVD whilst the Tivo records from Sky, Watch Tivo or Sky directly through the DVD (whether on or off - it loops through in standby), and also watch Sky or Tivo whilst recording DVDs from the VCR
(The Philips handily allows you to record from one source, whilst looping another source to the TV output, as do Sony DVD recorders - the TV/DVD function does this)

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 04:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

carl, If you have bought some blank discs. I hope at least 1 was a RW. this is very usefull for timeshifting or playing with your new toy.

I use the RW disc for timeshifting, and the normal +r discs for recordings I want to keep, which are also cheaper.

I actually found it cheaper to buy the blank discs by post from the blankshop/svp even allowing for postage. by the time I've drove to the shop/parked and paid the higher prices. If you buy by post, make sure its at least 25 discs at a time.

I have my recorder between the Tivo and TV, but as has been pointed out, the downside to this is that you cant watch a different program from tivo. I guess it depends on how much you intend to record from the VCR.

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 04:37 PM
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by woody

carl, If you have bought some blank discs. I hope at least 1 was a RW. this is very usefull for timeshifting or playing with your new toy.
Bought a single RW for testing purposes. Will be buying bulk this week.
I use the RW disc for timeshifting, and the normal +r discs for recordings I want to keep, which are also cheaper.
Sounds like a plan to me! Unfortunately, the one thing the DVDR doesn't do is let you start to watch something before it's finished recording. It's no big thing, though.

I actually found it cheaper to buy the blank discs by post from the blankshop/svp even allowing for postage. by the time I've drove to the shop/parked and paid the higher prices. If you buy by post, make sure its at least 25 discs at a time.
Luckily (especially as I don't drive) this shop is in the centre of the city, right outside my bus stop

I have my recorder between the Tivo and TV, but as has been pointed out, the downside to this is that you cant watch a different program from tivo. I guess it depends on how much you intend to record from the VCR.
I have some material on Video that I want to transfer to DVD+R. I also want to be able to transfer from Tivo to DVD+R/+RW without having to swap leads around, etc.

This is why I had intended to put my DVDR where my VCR is now (in the Tivo's VCR SCART) and then put the VCR on the second SCART socket on the DVDR.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

quote:
Originally posted by woody
I actually found it cheaper to buy the blank discs by post from the blankshop/svp even allowing for postage.
I actually found postage increased disproportionately when ordering more discs from some suppliers. That's because when you break the Post Office's weight limit, the supplier switches to more expensive couriers. i.e. It can be cheaper to split large orders.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 06:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

quote:

Sounds like a plan to me! Unfortunately, the one thing the DVDR doesn't do is let you start to watch something before it's finished recording. It's no big thing, though.

I only have the 1 RW disc. more than enough, and its very rare that I need it. only when tivo can't record from two channels at once.

Luckily (especially as I don't drive) this shop is in the centre of the city, right outside my bus stop

your even luckier, I don't have a bus stop, nearest is over a mile away.

have some material on Video that I want to transfer to DVD+R. I also want to be able to transfer from Tivo to DVD+R/+RW without having to swap leads around, etc.

This is why I had intended to put my DVDR where my VCR is now (in the Tivo's VCR SCART) and then put the VCR on the second SCART socket on the DVDR.

if the DVDR is between the tivo and tv, you can still record onto the dvdr from tivo, and vcr, but unfortuantely not watch something from tivo at the same time.

only way around this, and I haven't done it yet, is to get a scart to phono lead, and connect the vcr to the phonos on the front of the dvdr.

Last edited by woody on 03-28-2004 at 09:01 PM

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 07:03 PM
cwaring

Or, as I suggested, put the VCR into the other SCART socket, thereby completely removing it from the Tivo as it is not needed any more as I have the DVDR.

PS. Woody you have (or had if he edits it!) an errant tag somewhere. Took me a while to figure out what was quotes and what was original content

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 03-29-2004 02:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

I have my DVD recorder between the TV and TiVo works fine.

If I need to record VCR to DVD (quite often) I used the EXT3 front panel connections on the DVD recorder from the EXT2 SCART on my VCR.

This has the advantage that the TiVo can be used whilst recording on DVD (pass through still works) and you can easily place a "Digital Video Stabiliser" (Maplin £29) in line with EXT3 to enable you to record tapes to DVD.

As you will find "COPY PROTECT" is quite a common display on the Philips DVD recorders.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 03-29-2004 09:48 PM
cwaring

Well I just configured mine as a mentioned above and it works perfectly

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 01:26 AM
cwaring

Lost A Recording

Recorded CSI on Tuesday. Recorded some other stuff today (as backup in case channel-changing failed again ) and lost the first recording. Why?

All were done @ M3 quality and there was less than 3 hours-worth in total. At least, I'm fairly certain there was Surely if there was more, it would simply have not recorded anything over the three hours, or does it wipe stuff off again to make room?

I didn't think I had to do anything to preserve existing recordings

Edited to add:
Just re-checked the DVD and found that there is a red line down the rh-side of the opaque box on the right of the main DVD menu screen; just under 1/3 the length of the box. Wasn't there last time I looked? Does that mean anything?

Last edited by cwaring on 04-02-2004 at 02:20 AM

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Ian_m
My 890 arrived back yesterday after having the laser unit changed. Same serial number, still tuned into same aerial channels it was left in so not a swap out.

How long did it take in total to be repaired?
Mine was collected on Monday.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 02:31 AM
woody

Re: Lost A Recording

quote:
Recorded CSI on Tuesday. Recorded some other stuff today (as backup in case channel-changing failed again ) and lost the first recording. Why?

All were done @ M3 quality and there was less than 3 hours-worth in total. At least, I'm fairly certain there was Surely if there was more, it would simply have not recorded anything over the three hours, or does it wipe stuff off again to make room?

I didn't think I had to do anything to preserve existing recordings

Edited to add:
Just re-checked the DVD and found that there is a red line down the rh-side of the opaque box on the right of the main DVD menu screen; just under 1/3 the length of the box. Wasn't there last time I looked? Does that mean anything?

Hi carl

you have to be carefull with this recorder.

when you set recordings, make sure that you put the marker, see the red line, and a icon of whats on the disc, in a vacant slot, this is especially important if you have been watching whats already recorded.

also if you record over the beginning of the disc, and you have two programs of 1hr long at the start, and decode to record a 1.5 hrs program at the beginning, it will erase/record over both programs, even if there is space at the end of the disc.

Easy way to think of the discs, is to treat them in exactly the same way as a VCR for recording.

HTH

Chris

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged