TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cwaring is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

CSI was the first programme on the disc. Surely the others should just have been recorded after it? (Just like a VCR, as you mention)

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

On my 890 you have to hold the REC button down until ''Safe Record' appears on the display to avoid over recording.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

I know about that, but that's only for manual "on-the-spot" recordings. It's a little difficult to if you're not actually there; ie timer recordings

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 02:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

Carl,

You have to ensure the "marker" on the disk display is left pointing at free space ("freetitle" on front panel display) when you leave the 890 on timer record or else as mentioned it will overwrite things on the disk.

I have overwritten something at the beginning of the disk once or twice so its easy to do. You soon learn that when inserting a partially full disk to ensure is says "freetitle" on the display (or turn the TV on to really see what you are doing).

Ashley my DVDR890 took just over a week to be fixed.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 06:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

Re: Lost A Recording

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring

Edited to add:
Just re-checked the DVD and found that there is a red line down the rh-side of the opaque box on the right of the main DVD menu screen; just under 1/3 the length of the box. Wasn't there last time I looked? Does that mean anything?

The box down the right hand side of the display gives you an indication of disk usage. The 'solid' blue bits are recorded disk, the lighter blue bits are free disk. The red line shows where timed recordings will be recorded to when the timer kicks in.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 10:04 PM
cwaring

Thanks, johala_reewi

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan

Carl,
With the DVDR70,75,80 series players you must make sure you are on a FREETITLE before you press record.

This will be displayed on the player menus and the front display of the recorder.

Its just like selecting a free bit of space on a vhs tape

Also with the DVDR80 if in standby you press the record button, it starts up and erases and starts recording over the first item on the media.

Your thinking, thats unlikely - but no! This recorder and the rec/otr and power button both at the top of the remote control and both are marked red!

Automan.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Adlopa is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 05:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Adlopa Find more posts by Adlopa Add Adlopa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adlopa

Slightly OT but presumably, you can pop a disc created on a DVD recorder into a PC and mess with the MPEG2 file with the application of your choice..?

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 07:29 PM
cwaring

Automan. Luckily, the 'standby' and 'record' buttons are at opposite ends of the remote on the 70

Adlopa. Yes, I believe so.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

quote:
Slightly OT but presumably, you can pop a disc created on a DVD recorder into a PC and mess with the MPEG2 file with the application of your choice..?

Problem is sound is AC3 format which a lot of MPEG2 editors won't touch, you have to buy the much much more expensive AC3 version of the tool.

I have been using (BESWEET+AC3 Codec) to convert AC3 to MP2 before then editing with Ulead MovieFactory. Works fine.

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

I think that Nero 6 may be able to handle AC3.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:51 PM
Ian_m

Quite a bit of writing software can handle an MPEG2 file with AC3 audio writing to DVD, but very few can edit (trim cut etc) the file.

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:59 PM
cwaring

If you own a DVDR70, what are your experiences with VideoCD's. I have one here that played perfectly well in my other DVD player, but when I try to play it in my Philips, it looks like slightly-badly-tuned TV channel; B&W with squigely (sp?) lines all over the picture.

Any ideas?

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 08:12 PM
Ian_m

iankb is right. Nero 6 does include an AC3 decocoder and encoder.

Just hope they have improved Nero Vision Express as the previous version I tried was not very good. DVD menu choices and flexibility of menus was very poor. Also kept on insisting on re-transcoding my MPEG compliant files, thus taking hours and hours. Plus no AC3.

Might try a demo of the new version to see if improved.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

Nero 6 is a major advance on Nero 5, and well worth the upgrade. And they do an upgrade price from an OEM version of 5 to the full 6 package.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
If you own a DVDR70, what are your experiences with VideoCD's. I have one here that played perfectly well in my other DVD player, but when I try to play it in my Philips, it looks like slightly-badly-tuned TV channel; B&W with squigely (sp?) lines all over the picture.

Any ideas?

I have several VCD's, won't play in the normal DVD player, but work OK in the DVDR70.

Picture looks OK to me, just like a medium setting from Tivo. can't compare to to another DVD player.

not sure whats wrong with yours. could it be an incompatable disc?

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley
How long did it take in total to be repaired?
Mine was collected on Monday.

I got it back today.

Had to a channel scan to get my TV channels back. Had to do it manually because when I tried an auto scan it found a station called 'CEEFA' which messed up the order. (It must have read the wrong part of the Teletext header!)

Seems to work ok now. I was able to erase a disk created on my machine before the repair but not able to edit a recording.

I got a bonus - I found a DCD+RW inside it.
But it was badly scratched.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

Interesting the use made of teletext data by the Philips DVD recorders. I dubbed an old mid-90s S-VHS recording of an analogue broadcast to my 75 when I got it (via S-video) and the recorder seemed to work out what the programme was and title it sensibly. Quite spooky!

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Picked up yesterday at one of the big electrical chains a Philips DVDR880 for just over £100. Only downside no powerlead (that's what The Wires Box is for), no manual (downloaded from Philips website) and no remote (downloaded from OneForAll). Absolute bargain

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 06:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

Smile

Does anyone think that there is any one DVD recorder that stands out from others. (ignoring proce)

From reading all the posts it seems that no one model is perfect for everyones needs/wants.

I am looking to buy at the moment but cannot decide which one to go for.

Also, according the the comet website, the DVDR70 cannot play DVD-RW format, but reading the post sit appears it can!!:

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged