TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DVD Recorders <<<

Pages (8): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ian_m is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

My 890 will play -RW disks, but....

1. The disk must be finalised before using.
2. Write at least 1-3Gb of data (or preferably fill the disk 100% at least once) and it works. (there is an option in Nero 5 to do this).

Or just use +RW, as disk is always finalised, not bothered about filling/formatting disk and available at x4 speed.

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

No, the DVDR70 cannot read or write to DVD-R/RW. Only DVD+.

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 07:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by Sneals2000
Interesting the use made of teletext data by the Philips DVD recorders. I dubbed an old mid-90s S-VHS recording of an analogue broadcast to my 75 when I got it (via S-video) and the recorder seemed to work out what the programme was and title it sensibly. Quite spooky!

I have done a few terrestrial recordings now and so far only C4 seems to broadcast the name of the show. Recorded "Frasier" last night

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 08:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring

The DVDR70 can read finalised -R disks and finalised -RW disks that have been done in 'compatible' mode (as can most DVD players). You are right about them not being able to write to them.

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

quote:

Oh - my 75 has no problems with -R or -RWs - both recorded on Sony DVD recorders or a PC DVD-R drive. All have been recorded on 1x Media at 1x.

In all cases the -RWs and -Rs have been finalised (I think)

I have yet to come across a DVD that the 75 won't read - though am told it struggles with the latest Blake's 7 box set? (I think from one of the threads on here!)

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 01:53 AM
cwaring

Okay, so maybe I was wrong about the 'read' part. Sorry, but I am new to this

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

quote:
Originally posted by Regor
Does anyone think that there is any one DVD recorder that stands out from others. (ignoring proce)

From reading all the posts it seems that no one model is perfect for everyones needs/wants.

I am looking to buy at the moment but cannot decide which one to go for.

Also, according the the comet website, the DVDR70 cannot play DVD-RW format, but reading the post sit appears it can!!:

If money is no object then I have been very impressed with the Sony GX series (I couldn't justify the expense) The ability to record on both + and - media, and the extremely good quality PAL decoder and MPEG2 encoder mean that VHS material dubbed across looks really good.

That said the shuttle modes on both the Philips and Sony DVD recorders I have used both leave something to be desired.

In all cases I find that watching VHS material through the DVD Recorder (effectively using it as a PAL to RGB decoder) means that it looks far nicer - because my Sony TV doesn't impose the horrid SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) in RGB mode that adds black and white edges, artificially sharpening the picture, whereas it can only be defeated on composite sources by viewing in "Movie" mode - which freezes out changes to saturation, brightness etc.

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 04:54 AM
cwaring

quote:
If you own a DVDR70, what are your experiences with VideoCD's. I have one here that played perfectly well in my other DVD player, but when I try to play it in my Philips, it looks like slightly-badly-tuned TV channel; B&W with squigely (sp?) lines all over the picture.

Any ideas?

Turns out it's a picture format problem. I found that I had the same problem when trying to watch one particular video cassette as well. Which got me thinking. What do these two things have in common. Four letters. NTSC

However, the only relevant commment in the User Manual is this:
"The TV system of the disc does not match that of your TV set (PAL/NTSC)."

The thing is, my original DVD Player (a Panny) had no problem playing this VCD through the same telly; also a Philips, as it happens

I assume it is actually the case that the Philips that cannot play an NTSC-encoded VCD, nor 'pass-though' and NTSC signal (from my VCR).

Anyone know for sure before I call Philips' helpline?

Thanks.

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 05:55 AM
Sneals2000

quote:
Turns out it's a picture format problem. I found that I had the same problem when trying to watch one particular video cassette as well. Which got me thinking. What do these two things have in common. Four letters. NTSC

However, the only relevant commment in the User Manual is this:
"The TV system of the disc does not match that of your TV set (PAL/NTSC)."

The thing is, my original DVD Player (a Panny) had no problem playing this VCD through the same telly; also a Philips, as it happens

I assume it is actually the case that the Philips that cannot play an NTSC-encoded VCD, nor 'pass-though' and NTSC signal (from my VCR).

Thanks.

AIUI the DVDR75 will record clean NTSC 3.58 material as NTSC, and will replay 480/60i (aka 525/60) material in RGB/60 (not sure if this comes out as NTSC 3.58/60 or PAL 4.43/60)

I would be surprised if the DVDR coped with PAL4.43/60 from a VCR (aka NTSC playback from a PAL VCR) in MONITOR mode (as I would not expect the DVD recorder composite decoder to cope with such a non-standard chroma system) However I would hope that it coped with NTSC 3.58/60 from a normal NTSC or multi-standard VCR.

I've got a source of RGB/60, NTSC 3.58/60, PAL 4.43/60 at home. When I get a chance I'll report back.

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 02:29 PM
cwaring

Thanks for the reply. So, is that a 'yes' or a 'no' then? Plus, I have the 70, not the 75 but I assume the above still applies?

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 05:07 PM
Sneals2000

quote:
Thanks for the reply. So, is that a 'yes' or a 'no' then? Plus, I have the 70, not the 75 but I assume the above still applies?

It's an "I'll report back when I've had time to do some tests" kind of answer - plus an "I'd be a bit quite surprised if it recorded the mangled, non-standard, PAL 4.43/60 that comes out of a UK "NTSC playback" VCR"

** EDIT ** Just checked the Philips website, and in the spec sheet for the UK DVDR70 it details NTSC/60 recording resolutions of 720x480 and 360x480. It also mentions that it will record and replay both PAL/SECAM 50 and NTSC 60, but only has a PAL/SECAM internal tuner.

Last edited by Sneals2000 on 05-03-2004 at 05:15 PM

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woody is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for woody Find more posts by woody Add woody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woody

I have some region 1 DVDs, NTSC format, and my DVDR70 plays them just fine.

I Don't have any NTSC format tapes to try.

One For All URC7562, skyeye T-IR reddot remover

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 02:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

My DVDR890 passes through NTSC (PAL 60?) from my VCR correctly. Not tried recording to DVD though.

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 05:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johala_reewi Find more posts by johala_reewi Add johala_reewi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johala_reewi

I have recorded NTSC VCR tape onto DVD using a Philips DVDR 880 and a Toshiba UK VCR player. Works no problem. The 880 also did pass through of the NTSC from the VCR to the TV and it worked in monitor mode. I haven't tried this with the DVDR70 though but I would assume that if the 880 can do it, the 70 can as well. I can give it a try because I now have a DVDR70 and I still have NTSC videos I can play on the UK VCR player.

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 03:17 AM
johala_reewi

I have dug out my old NTSC video, stuck it in my UK VCR player, put an empty +RW into my DVDR70, switched the DVDR70 to EXT2, pressed play on the VCR, pressed REC on the DVDR and sat back. VCR recorded perfectly and I now have an NTSC DVD+RW which actually looks better than the original VCR. Full colour and the monitor function worked perfectly as well so it looks like the answer is yes

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 04:43 AM
cwaring

Thanks very much going to the trouble to do the test, but I'm now worried that there may be something wrong with my unit

Actually, I wonder if the difference might be that mine was an NTSC video in a PAL VCR? Yes, it does do NTSC as I have played the tape before!

Methinks I might be calling Philips CS tomorrow

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johala_reewi is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 05:47 PM
johala_reewi

quote:

Thanks.

Not sure about NTSC encoded VCD (I don't have one) but the Philips DVDR70 does pass-through NTSC from EXT2 to EXT1 and can also record it to DVD.

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 05-07-2004 04:50 AM
Sneals2000

quote:
Thanks very much going to the trouble to do the test, but I'm now worried that there may be something wrong with my unit

Actually, I wonder if the difference might be that mine was an NTSC video in a PAL VCR? Yes, it does do NTSC as I have played the tape before!

Methinks I might be calling Philips CS tomorrow

There is a major difference between playing back an NTSC VHS in an NTSC VCR and playing the same tape back in a PAL VCR with "NTSC Playback"

The NTSC VHS machine will output a standard NTSC 525/60 3.58 colour signal (albeit a bit ropey cos of the VHS nature of the source) This is a broadcast standard NTSC system - and is "NTSC"

The PAL VCR with "NTSC Playback" will playback an NTSC VHS recording as a 525/60 signal - but instead of standard 3.58 NTSC (which many UK TVs wouldn't decode - resulting in a B&W picture) it outputs a 525/60 4.43 PAL colour signal that most UK TVs will decode in full colour -and because most sets lock to both 525/60 and 625/50 you get a stable colour picture. This PAL 525/60 4.43 signal is not a broadcast standard and is peculiar to VCRs that replay NTSC tapes for PAL TVs. (It is not the same as the PAL 525/60 3.58 used in Brazil...)

As it is neither a real PAL 625/50 4.43 (i.e. the "PAL" we use in Europe and Australia/NZ etc.) or an NTSC 525/60 3.58 (i.e. the "NTSC" used in North America, Japan and Korea) signal it is far less likely to be supported and decoded by a DVD Recorder, resulting in a black and white picture (as it tries to decode the 525/60 picture as NTSC chroma and fails)

However PAL/60 4.43 (and it's close relative NTSC/60 4.43 which is also sometimes used) is not entirely unknown - so some kit MAY decode it...

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:47 PM
cwaring

quote:
Originally posted by Sneals2000
As it is neither a real PAL 625/50 4.43 (i.e. the "PAL" we use in Europe and Australia/NZ etc.) or an NTSC 525/60 3.58 (i.e. the "NTSC" used in North America, Japan and Korea) signal it is far less likely to be supported and decoded by a DVD Recorder, resulting in a black and white picture (as it tries to decode the 525/60 picture as NTSC chroma and fails)

Only just got around to re-reading your post (see this thread as to why) and this it looks like you could be right.

I say "could" because, if your read johala_reewi's post a little way up, he had no problem.

Now I'm even more confused

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 05:20 PM
Sneals2000

quote:
Only just got around to re-reading your post (see this thread as to why) and this it looks like you could be right.

I say "could" because, if your read johala_reewi's post a little way up, he had no problem.

Now I'm even more confused

johala_reewi says he is using an NTSC VCR - not a PAL VCR with NTSC playback. (This could either be a US NTSC VCR imported to the UK, or a "multi-standard" VCR. The latter usually replay recordings in their respective broadcast standards, so NTSC will replay as NTSC 3.58 525/60, PAL as PAL 4.43 625/50 etc., rather than creating the mangled mix of differing colour and line standards like PAL 60)

An NTSC VCR will output NTSC 3.58 525/60 (i.e. standard broadcast NTSC as used in the US, Japan etc.) This is a signal that a DVD Recorder with an NTSC decoder should be able to cope with. (It is what a DVD Recorder would expect to be fed if used in the US to record NTSC composite signals)

A PAL VCR with NTSC playback facilities will usually output in PAL 4.43 525/60 when playing back an NTSC recording (i.e. PAL 60 - which is UK standard PAL colour with US standard line scanning - a totally non-broadcast standard)

Many decoders work on the basis that anything that is 525/60 is NTSC colour - so when presented with a PAL colour signal at an NTSC line standard it will assume the chroma should also be NTSC and will not cope with decoding the PAL stuff - so give you a B&W signal instead.

PAL 60 aka PAL 4.43 525/60 is only generated by PAL 4.43 VCRs replaying NTSC recordings - it is not broadcast anywhere. It is therefore far less likely that a DVD recorder will cope with it.

Last edited by Sneals2000 on 05-13-2004 at 05:28 PM

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged