TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Slow channel guide display <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
klimekt is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for klimekt Find more posts by klimekt Add klimekt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
klimekt

Question Slow channel guide display

I haven't heard anyone else mention this, the guide on my HD Tivo is painfully slow to load. The channel numbers show up instantanously but the program information trickles in over as much as 5 seconds. It makes quick scan of the channels next to impossible. Since this is my first Tivo I don't know if this is normal for all Tivo units but it sure is a lot slower then both the DTC-100 and the E86 receivers I own. Is the guide suppose to be this slow, is it going to get faster as the unit "learns"?
Tomasz

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SupraLB is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SupraLB Find more posts by SupraLB Add SupraLB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SupraLB

I have the same problem. It's very annoying how slow its loads. This is also my first tivo, so I don't know if its common.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx
TiVo Forum Special Member

This is a feature carried over from SD DTiVos. The DirecTV guide is painfully slow, the TiVo guide works a lot quicker. There is a theory that it speeds up once the guide data has downloaded. I've never had the patience to find out.

Try the TiVo guide, now called the "List" guide, you find the list guide in the guide options. Pull up the guide and hit the info button.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
This is a feature carried over from SD DTiVos. The DirecTV guide is painfully slow, the TiVo guide works a lot quicker. There is a theory that it speeds up once the guide data has downloaded. I've never had the patience to find out.

Try the TiVo guide, now called the "List" guide, you find the list guide in the guide options. Pull up the guide and hit the info button.

Trust me, it never gets any faster! I refuse to use the Tivo guide because it just doesn't show enough information on the screen at once (which is probably why it's faster). I'll live with it but it is incredibly slow. I really don't see any excuse for it other than lousy coding.

Mike

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

klimekt is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for klimekt Find more posts by klimekt Add klimekt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
klimekt

Unhappy

After 10 years with various DirecTV receivers I find the "list guide" pretty much useless. It might be faster to load but if I want to see what's coming up on multiple channels it actually take me longer with this guide. I still can't believe that the regular guide is this slow in a $1000 box. I really hope this is something that can be improved in the upcoming software updates.
Tomasz

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frank_M is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frank_M Find more posts by Frank_M Add Frank_M to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frank_M

The list guide is only really useful if you want to scan an entire day on one channel (like, say, HDnet). But the Directv guide is what it is... it can be slow, but it's the exact same speed as with the Dtivos.

Also, it DOES get faster as your guide data gets up to speed. I've had mine activated for two days, and it's still catching up.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gfb107 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gfb107 Find more posts by gfb107 Add gfb107 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gfb107
Advanced Member

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but why in the world do you care about the guide? Maybe you guys have only recently joined the world of TiVo, but the whole point of TiVo is to record what you want to watch so you can watch it on your schedule. I NEVER watch Live TV anymore. If you are watching Live TV, you aren't recoding enough.

Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo, 86 hours (40GB+60GB)
DirecTV HR10-250 HD-DirecTiVo
Samsung HLN507W1 DLP TV
Onkyo HTS760 HTIB
DirecTiVo or Standalone TiVo?
My TiVo distribution setup
Need a universal remote? Try the OFA URC-6131 (modifed for JP1)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

quote:
Originally posted by gfb107
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but why in the world do you care about the guide? Maybe you guys have only recently joined the world of TiVo, but the whole point of TiVo is to record what you want to watch so you can watch it on your schedule. I NEVER watch Live TV anymore. If you are watching Live TV, you aren't recoding enough.
Well for one thing I don't what to sit down and pre-plan everything I may or may not want to watch. I'm not picking on you but all you TiVo'ers think this is Gods gift to TV. I am happy for you but I view the TiVo a bit differently. Sure I like it can record stuff and I like that I can play it back at a time of my chosing, and I like that I can FF thru the commercials. But I also like to maybe watch something right now that I'm in the mood for right now. Using the guide shouldn't be a slow or as painful as TiVo has made it. Personally I think they've intentionaly hampered it to force people to avoid using it (and thus become assimilated to the TiVo way). I just don't see how anyone in their right minds would think that guide speed is acceptable unless there was a deliberate purpose and intent behind it's slow speed.

Everyone who is bothered by the slow guide should complain to DirecTv. I did (used the technical feedback email address from the DirecTv site). I don't know if it will do any good but I am quite positive that they won't do a damn thing to fix it/speed it up if no one complains.

/end rant

PS: I do not mean to disparage long time TiVo users so please do not get offended and please do not try to tell me that slow-ass guide is acceptable.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbodin is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbodin Find more posts by bbodin Add bbodin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbodin

quote:
Well for one thing I don't what to sit down and pre-plan everything I may or may not want to watch. I'm not picking on you but all you TiVo'ers think this is Gods gift to TV. I am happy for you but I view the TiVo a bit differently. Sure I like it can record stuff and I like that I can play it back at a time of my chosing, and I like that I can FF thru the commercials. But I also like to maybe watch something right now that I'm in the mood for right now. Using the guide shouldn't be a slow or as painful as TiVo has made it.

well you're just not a normal tivo user (I happen to watch more live tv like you do as well). The intent of tivo is built on the tivo list guide. You scroll through (maybe once a day) each channel using the list guide, finding shows you wish to watch and record them (so I look on Starz and see a show at 3pm I like and schedule it, one at 10 pm I like and schedule it, ....then look at NBC and do the same thing). I then come home from work and watch those recordings (and no commercials). Sure you watch live tv, just rarely though because you generally have shows to watch that are recorded.

If you're not doing the above, you're really using the Tivo as a glorified VCR..which is fine, but $1000 is a bit much to pay for a vcr. And given that the machine is not meant for that, that is why there has been little prioritization for a fast non-list guide from DirectTV.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but in the list guide, hit ffwd to advance the time slots by a half hour.. keep pressing it to keep advancing a half hour at a time. of course pressing rwd takes you back a half hour...

most of the complaints against the list guide can be solved with this tip.

personally I was never a huge fan of the directv guide even back to my gen 2 RCA.. I much more prefer the list guide instead...

Now if Tivo could just put an indicator anywhere to let you know if a show on the list guide is set to be recorded...

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oosik77 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for oosik77 Visit oosik77's homepage! Find more posts by oosik77 Add oosik77 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

Just to echo others.... I rarely look at the guide any more. If there is something on that I would like to watch even when I do find it I have the Tivo record it so I can watch it later and skip the commercials.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

quote:
Originally posted by bbodin

If you're not doing the above, you're really using the Tivo as a glorified VCR..which is fine, but $1000 is a bit much to pay for a vcr. And given that the machine is not meant for that, that is why there has been little prioritization for a fast non-list guide from DirectTV.
Well for one thing I didn't pay $1000, I paid $899. Secondly, I needed/wanted a second HD receiver. Third, the better HD receivers out there cost over $600 last time I looked. The delta price between a "plain ole" HD receiver versus a TiVo wasn't enough to keep me from buying the TiVo. Like I said, I do like it's capabilities and I do use it as "intended" (in fact Survivor and CSI will both be recorded for viewing later this evening) but I also want to be able to "surf". There is absofickenlutely no good reason why the guide has to be so encumbered speed wise. It certainly would not have any operational affect on the way most TiVo'ers use their TiVo's but it would have great benefits to those of us who are not fully assimilated.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

geof.. see above.. try using the list guide combined with ffwd and rwd to move through time slots... about the only thing you are missing from the grid guide as far as I can tell then is the color/genre designations and the icons (HD, CC, LBX, DD, etc).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ddarche is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ddarche Find more posts by ddarche Add ddarche to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ddarche

New Tivo user - slow guide

My HD Tivo (my 1st Tivo) has not arrived, hopefully next week, but I agree with the point that I want BOTH aspects to work well. Channel lists/favorites and all of the Tivo recording features.

I don't really channel surf surf much anymore but me and the wife have adapted to the guide concept on my Hughes e86 (and earlier D* receivers) I have four favorites lists set up and we use the them all of the time. The e86 is no speed demon when switching guides or favories but I certainly hope the Tivo is not slower than the e86 - Yikes!

I assumed, that by now, it would be the best DVR available and also be a great HD receiver with a great GUI. Is this incorrect ?

Dave D

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PRMan is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PRMan Visit PRMan's homepage! Find more posts by PRMan Add PRMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRMan

FF and REW also work in the DirecTV guide, BTW. So between PageUp, PageDn, FF and REW, it's fast enough for me (DSR6000).

I use the guide sometimes to find a show because it can be easier to do a Season Pass that way, especially if you don't know the exact title.

Still, between Season Passes and Wishlists, I record most of what I want to see. If I don't, I just waste hours on end channel surfing.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bodie is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bodie Find more posts by Bodie Add Bodie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie

I love the Tivo Guide. It is much better than the D* guides.

It shows more info at one time (everything that's on now (or in the next 5 minutes) for ~10 channels (I'm not at home and can't check), the next ~10 things that are coming up on the selected channel), and a description of what's on now.

I usually do a quick scan of what's currently on, then check for what's coming up later on channels that I like to watch. That is of course once I've watched through my now playing list

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:37 PM
Geof in CO

Re: New Tivo user - slow guide

quote:
Originally posted by ddarche
The e86 is no speed demon when switching guides or favories but I certainly hope the Tivo is not slower than the e86 - Yikes!
Dave D
You'll be in for a HUGE shock. The Guides (both of them) are way slower than the E86 (for example, it can take up to 5 seconds to paint the DirecTv guide). Also, there is no Favorite list and there is only one custom station list.

---
borghe,
I have used the TiVo List guide and know of the shortcut you mentioned. So far I keep switching back to the DirecTv guide. I really see advantages to both different guide styles. I wish there were two remote buttons (one for each type of guide). It's too bad they made it so hard to switch guide types.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by Bodie
I love the Tivo Guide. It is much better than the D* guides.

It shows more info at one time (everything that's on now (or in the next 5 minutes) for ~10 channels (I'm not at home and can't check), the next ~10 things that are coming up on the selected channel), and a description of what's on now.

Actually the Tivo list guide shows much less information than the D* guide which is why the Tivo list guide is faster. If you want to quickly scan a block of related channels (like TLC, Discovery, The Science Channel, Animal Planet, etc.) for shows that are on in the next hour or so, the Tivo list guide just sucks, plain and simple.

Also, the fact that the old Tivos were too slow is no excuse in my mind for the ones on a $1000 Tivo to also be slow. Getting it wrong twice isn't better.

There is no way to quickly search a block of channels as above without using the D* guide. Also, to those who think Tivos are omniscient, they are not. To know what shows you want to record, you need to use the guide pretty regularly to scan through things and see what is on. If all you ever want to do is watch the same stuff, you'll never need the guide. If you want to see what new offerings are on that are not covered by season passes and wish lists, the guide is used regularly. I do like to watch new stuff, even stuff that I haven't thought to put on a wish list until I see it on the guide first, so I use the guide. For some, maybe TV is only about watching the same recurring sitcoms over and over, but that's not for me.

Mike

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:08 PM
borghe

I don't how the Tivo guide shows much less information. As for searching a quick block of channels, between the Tivo list and ffwd and rwd, there is most definitely a quick way...

like I said before, the only thing you lose on the Tivo guide is the icons (DD, CC, LBX, HD, etc) and the genre color designations. If this isn't true, I would like to hear what else.. but please be specific, not just "You lose a lot more". Because besides the logos and colors, I don't see what else you lose on the Tivo guide.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Griffon is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Griffon Find more posts by Griffon Add Griffon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Griffon

Coming from a 4 or so year old Replay 4040 I can say unequivocally that the D*TV grid guide is a complete and utter joke when it comes to performance. My god, I have never seen such poor rendering accept for in free cable POS cable boxes. I can Not believe they won't take the time to fix this glaring eyesore of a problem that makes there box look like a $10 cable junker. The wife approval rating absolutely bottomed out when she was trying to surf around for something last night, and she was dully unimpressed with the Tivo channel list but at least was painful to use (not enough info at a glance though)... not good, not good at all, it is simple indefensible in a this high end of a product.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged