TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Slow channel guide display <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Replevin is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Replevin Find more posts by Replevin Add Replevin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Replevin
long-time lurker

The guide is so slow. So much slower than my Sat-60. Perhaps some people got bad machines? Or is there some other explanation for the differing experiences other than - "I don't watch live tv."? I usually don't watch live tv either......but the guide on my machine is painfully slow.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 08:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

And I urge everyone who is bothered by the guide speed to complain to DirecTv. As noted, that is the only way it will be addressed.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

quote:
Originally posted by Replevin
The guide is so slow. So much slower than my Sat-60. Perhaps some people got bad machines? Or is there some other explanation for the differing experiences other than - "I don't watch live tv."? I usually don't watch live tv either......but the guide on my machine is painfully slow.

this I entirely disagree with. the guide is faster than both my T60 and GXCEBOT... I can't speak compared to other Series 2 DirecTivos, but pretty much everything about the system is faster than my Series 1's, except of course when you change channels resulting in changing physical tuners (OTA to Sat for example).

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Replevin is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Replevin Find more posts by Replevin Add Replevin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Replevin
long-time lurker

quote:
Originally posted by borghe
this I entirely disagree with. the guide is faster than both my T60 and GXCEBOT... I can't speak compared to other Series 2 DirecTivos, but pretty much everything about the system is faster than my Series 1's, except of course when you change channels resulting in changing physical tuners (OTA to Sat for example).

Strange. Perhaps there are hardware issues after all. Pretty much everything about my hd-tivo is slower than or equal to (in speed) to my Sat-60.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

don't get me wrong.. the guide is definitely way slower than a non-Tivo DirecTV receiver... I was just referring to the Series 1 boxes I own, which themselves are much slower than a non-Tivo DirecTV receiver.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Moby Ick is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Moby Ick Find more posts by Moby Ick Add Moby Ick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Moby Ick

quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
Anyone out there using a Harmony 688' or equivalent's tiny remote guide as an alternative to surfing with D* or Tivo's guide. Like to know as I was planning on getting both.
]

That's exactly what I do. The 688 has a few problems (small buttons and ergonomics) But it really does work very well. Check out my posts on the harmony thread, i explained exactly how to get the lists programmed. The problem with the harmony list is that you can only view 1/2 hour/3channels at a time, but it IS very fast.

I wish the HDTivo had the ability to have multiple favorite lists like my T160 had. It was so nice to have 4 favorite sets and be able to quickly get through the separate lists with a designated key.

Still love my HDTIVO though, faults and all.

Mike

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FikseGTS is offline Old Post 05-29-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for FikseGTS Find more posts by FikseGTS Add FikseGTS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FikseGTS

I agree.. the guide is terribly slow.... my 4 year old DTC-100 is MUCH faster.... I can't believe they would implement this guide into something they are charging $1000 for.... maybe an update can fix this later on....

is there a form to use to complain to directv?

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vidiot Find more posts by vidiot Add vidiot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vidiot
Video Junkie

I've had my HD TiVo plugged in for about 12 hours now, it's downloaded about 12 days worth of guide data. IT'S STILL PAINFULLY SLOW. Will it ever get any faster?

I hate the TiVo List, so that is not an option.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avNeophyte is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for avNeophyte Find more posts by avNeophyte Add avNeophyte to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avNeophyte

No, the D* style guide won't get any better unless they fix it. You better get used to the TiVo guide or return the box.

Also, you might try clearing any thumb ratings you have entered. That supposedly affects the performance of the guide.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vidiot Find more posts by vidiot Add vidiot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vidiot
Video Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by avNeophyte
No, the D* style guide won't get any better unless they fix it. You better get used to the TiVo guide or return the box.

Also, you might try clearing any thumb ratings you have entered. That supposedly affects the performance of the guide.

Well I've only had it for 12 hours, make that 15 now. I've recorded 2 shows, and pushed thumbs up twice. I hope that's not too much for it to handle.

I honestly can't believe anyone would manufacture a display that is so agonizingly slow. I'm not about to return it, HD is incredible, but I won't be singing it's praise without a disclaimer each time.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:26 AM
vidiot
Video Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by Geof in CO
And I urge everyone who is bothered by the guide speed to complain to DirecTv. As noted, that is the only way it will be addressed.

Please EVERYONE contact DirecTV, I have. This Guide issue is unacceptable!

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottchez is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottchez Find more posts by scottchez Add scottchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottchez

THis is what my brother says to do (an ex programing with Hughes)

Reset set your Thumbs up and down DAILy.
This fixed is.

The problem is with the TIVO software, they (meaning TIVO) stores this data and upload s it an the sells thedata.

Tivo is refusing to dump the data cache.

Even if you dont use the thumbs you still are. Every time you record anything or rewind it is a data table entry.

Every time a page on the guide is drawn the table is read.

Direct wants Tivo to change and just clear the data every 24 hrs, but they wont.

This is why Direct is dumping Tivo by the end of the yeard for they SKY DVR, it does not have the slow guide issue.

Till then keep calling Direct TV and Opening Problem tickets, these get tracked on a bar graph that upper mgmt sees monthly.

One thousand dollars is a lot to pay for the slowest guide in the country.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 09:53 PM
vidiot
Video Junkie

Well this is ridiculous. I've only had my TiVo for 1.5 days, recorded maybe 10 programs. To reset the Thumbs database "will take about an hour."

What!?!?!? An hour? It's crazy to think that I'm going to do this daily, waste 1 out of 24 hours per day doing this.

It should be 5 minutes tops. Or better yet, I shouldn't have to do this at all.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:43 AM
vidiot
Video Junkie

I can honestly say, I think the guide actually got S L O W E R !!!

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottchez is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottchez Find more posts by scottchez Add scottchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottchez

Yes resetting the Thumbs can take up to an Hour.

Proof of the Software design flaw that Tivo wont fix. Its not Direct TV.

Its Tivo in that they need to keep the data for the uploads. that then sell the data.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 07:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

quote:
Originally posted by scottchez

This is why Direct is dumping Tivo by the end of the yeard for they SKY DVR, it does not have the slow guide issue.

Uh huh....ok

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Direct wants Tivo to change and just clear the data every 24 hrs, but they wont.

I don't know if this is true, but I would hope that DirecTV would make a more responsive guide as a key requirement of any new DirecTivo design. Other competing products have announced Tivo features like name-based recording and season passes, but don't suffer the same slow responsiveness.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:42 PM
vidiot
Video Junkie

Do standalone TiVos have this problem? And if so, did it get fixed in v4?

I'm hoping that this gets fixed in the next major software revision.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv
TiVo Forum Special Member

vidiot,

Yes, SA Tivos have the same problem, and no, it hasn't improved in v4.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vidiot is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:58 PM
vidiot
Video Junkie

So I should be complaining to TiVo then.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 Hr.)

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged