TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Anyone using HD-Tivo on Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD TV? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
derick76 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for derick76 Find more posts by derick76 Add derick76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derick76

Anyone using HD-Tivo on Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD TV?

I am strongly considering buying this tv after seeing great reviews and very few problems reported. Anyone who is using this TV with a HD-Tivo give me some feedback. Thanks a bunch....

Derick

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

t0lik is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for t0lik Find more posts by t0lik Add t0lik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
t0lik

Well, I have this TV but HD Tivo is on the way.. should be here Monday. I can report back then. TV is awsome btw. I use it with Sony HD200 and Bravo D1 DVD player through DVI. One word - stunning. Zero problems - have the set since last Sept.

Krell Showcase Processor
ATI 1506 Amp
Atlantic Technology System 350THX

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott D is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott D Find more posts by Scott D Add Scott D to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott D

I would suggest a DLP TV instead. Not to say LCD is a terrible set. It's not. I look at TV's down the road where problems will start to develop. DLP TV's tend to be cheaper to fix and it takes very little time to repair thus you will be out a TV for much less time.

Also, the blue color tends to have a problem with LCD sets. Of coarse, during the tests that were done between LCD and DLP, these sets were run continuously and the blue colors on ALL the LCD sets were bad. If you do buy a LCD set, I tend to lean towards the side that you may never see this problem, but if you do, that is just one of the natures of LCD sets.

Keep in mind, I am not saying DLP TV's are perfect. They are not. Such as the rainbow effect. Also a DMD chip failure. Even so, a DMD chip is easier to fix than to replace 3 screens, one screen being red, blue and green.

Still, all in all, I'd say LCD and DLP TV's are very comparable to one another in quality and price.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mammut is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 12:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mammut Find more posts by mammut Add mammut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mammut

I have this set and the difference between the price of the dlp and the pt50lc13 taking into consideration the quality of the picture was minimal. The panny is the best tv for the money imho. The HD Tivo looks even better than I imagined over dvi on this set. I had a e86 bfore using the component inputs and the HD Tivo definatly looks better. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 05-14-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

I have one and LOVE it and exactly agree with mammut- the price difference was a BIG factor for me. I could have afforded a DLP but i figured that since none of this is really totally mature yet, i will want a new better set in a few years so why not save a pile since it basically looks the same to my 'ignorant' eye.

I never notice the 'rainbox effect' yet but it petrified me that one day i would see it and then i would never not see it again.

finally- as far as reapirs- although i NEVER buy extended warranties I did with this purchase- like i said above none of this is mature enough for me for the price so i bit the bullet and got the insurance of an extended warrently. Myself i wouldnt buy a DLP, LCD, or PLasma without it (but of course to each his own). And about how long it takes to repair- not sure why one would take any longer than the other- from what i gather pretty much everything that breaks just gets swapped weather it be a board or the entire projection unit. A couple of posts at AVS related stories that basically the whole projection unit just gets swapped.

BAsically go read up at AVS if you want TONS of info- probably Too much :-)

Myself I am waiting for a 3 panel DLP (so i dont have to sweat the rainbow possibility) with a native resolution of 2160p (so it can easily convert 720p or 1080i or even 1080p easily without estimating anything- just plan multiplication by 2 or by 3 to scale the picture) - that I think is the ultimate toy and when it comes out I'm all over it!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rokstar66 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rokstar66 Find more posts by rokstar66 Add rokstar66 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rokstar66

I have my HR 10-250 hooked up to my PT-50LC13 using the HDMI/DVI cable provided with the HR 10-250. HD programming looks great. I also have the Bravo D1 hooked up through a DVI switch. It also looks great. However, I have a problem with SD. Perhaps you've dealt with this.

The PT-50LC13 has different stretch modes for SD programming. I was using the mode that stretches the edges more than the center, which doesn't make people/object in the middle of the picture look ridiculously fat. However, now that I've hooked up the HR 10-250, I can't use that mode any longer. Any suggestions?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

t0lik is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for t0lik Find more posts by t0lik Add t0lik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
t0lik

I think the reason is the DVI connection: I think you can only apply any changes to screen modes when using analog (component, S-Video etc) connection. I think when you use DVI, it is "fixed" in the native mode of the source (4:3 or 16:9... ) Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Krell Showcase Processor
ATI 1506 Amp
Atlantic Technology System 350THX

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregftlaud is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregftlaud Find more posts by gregftlaud Add gregftlaud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregftlaud

i have the pt50lc 13 and LOVE it. although i dont have a hd tivo yet...i have a samsun hd receiver hooked up thru dvi and the hd content is great. i did alot of research before i purchased this product...and also went to the stores and looked at the pq compared to other tv's. this tv is just as good as any other more expensive tv in its class. i got a great deal for it at brandsm+rt in florida. 2198.00 for the tv....stand for it thrown in for free and 298 for the 5yr extended warranty. so that on top of the quality of the tv sealed the deal for me. i've had it for one month now with no problems at all and the tv pic looked great....even thru my sd directivo with s video.

greg

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gr8reb8 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gr8reb8 Find more posts by gr8reb8 Add gr8reb8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gr8reb8
Looking for deals.

I have the PT50-LC13 and I am VERY happy with it.
I love the picture quality both HD and SD.
I love the connectivity of this set and currently I have the following connected:

DVI - HR10-250 configured at 1080i
VGA1 - HTPC running 1280X720 at 60hz. Great for DVD and Windows Media
VGA2 - Zenith SAT520HD configured at 720p
Component1 - Sony 400 DVD changer
Component2 - Voom HDTV configured at 720p
Component3 - Not connected
Component4 - Not connected
Composite1 - Sony SD Tivo
Composite2 - External video Camera

I got this TV last August. No problems.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gr8reb8 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gr8reb8 Find more posts by gr8reb8 Add gr8reb8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gr8reb8
Looking for deals.

quote:
Originally posted by rokstar66
The PT-50LC13 has different stretch modes for SD programming. I was using the mode that stretches the edges more than the center, which doesn't make people/object in the middle of the picture look ridiculously fat. However, now that I've hooked up the HR 10-250, I can't use that mode any longer. Any suggestions?

The stretch modes will most likely work if you change the Video setting on the HR10-250 to 480i. Just change the setting back to 720p or 1080i when watch HD content. The HR10-250 manual give instructions on how to do this with the remote using the "up" arrow.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rokstar66 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rokstar66 Find more posts by rokstar66 Add rokstar66 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rokstar66

Thanks, gr8reb8. You are right. Unfortunately, the PQ is crap at 480i. I used to get pretty good PQ with my SD Dish Network receiver and composite cables, but SD looks bad through my HR 10-250 at the 480i seeting. So I'm staying with the 1080i setting, which looks okay. I guess I'll just get used to looking at fat people. (Makes me feel good about myself )

BTW, it's interesting that all of the modes (full, zoom, just, normal) work at 480i, but only full, zoom, and normal work at 480p.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged