TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Worth purchasing a full sub? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Superstar P.J. is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Superstar P.J. Find more posts by Superstar P.J. Add Superstar P.J. to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Superstar P.J.

Worth purchasing a full sub?

I've had my tivo for a couple of years now but went for the monthly subscription option cos I wasn't sure how long tivo would be around, and assumed new similar technology might come along. Obviously now I'm regretting it and am wondering if it's still worth paying for a lifetime sub. Are tivos still likely to be supported for another 2 years at least, and is there any news on new tivo systems on the horizon? How would that affect current subscribers?

Thanks in advance,
P.J.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan
TiVo Forum Special Member

If a new UK Tivo ever was marketed you will NOT be able to transfer your subscription.

The subscription is for the life of the box not the life of Tivo inc.

Automan.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmk Find more posts by pmk Add pmk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmk

I believe TiVo / Tribune have signed contracts to provide the UK data recently. I do not know for how long though I am sure someone will post who knows this information.

I am no expert but I would say if you paid by credit card and the TiVo UK service was withdrawn you could probably claim an appropriate refund from the Credit Card company.

e.g. just like with ITVDigital Prepaid packages. I had approx 5 months left on mine when they went under so I got a partial refund from the credit card company for it.

Remember the subscription is for the lifetime of the box so if it breaks no refund but I would say if the service stops within 20 months (i.e. 20 x £10 = £200) you have not got what you have paid for so claim it back from the credit card company.

Remember I am no expert (and I may be talking absolute rubbish) and the credit card company will probably kick up a fuss but if you pay £200 and your box is still working and the service is withdrawn you should get a refund.

You might be even be able to argue if the service stops in 4 (or whatever) years you could still get a refund of some degree as you have paid £200 for the *lifetime* of the box. No doubt this is probably covered in TiVo's T&Cs but I believe they can't override your statutory consumer rights.

HTH

Do you know of a new series starting soon? A special one off episode? Seen a trailer for a new series? Post details to the following special thread to help out other TiVo users who have missed the trailers. Click here for the special New Series Thread

Last edited by pmk on 06-05-2004 at 09:53 PM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Superstar P.J. is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Superstar P.J. Find more posts by Superstar P.J. Add Superstar P.J. to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Superstar P.J.

Man you guys are quick off the mark I was thinking it makes sense to go for a full sub. Just wanted to double-check there's no good reason not to.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmk Find more posts by pmk Add pmk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmk

I would recommend at least waiting to see if anyone replies with an answer to whether "Tribune are contracted to provide UK guide data for at least a couple more years?"

I am not sure if the Sales of Goods Act applies to Services also or if they are combined. Taking my ITVDigital example I do not see it being any different to the TiVo Guide Data. The only sticking point may be what is the "lifetime" of the box. Is is 1 year / 2 years / 4 years, until it breaks etc. This is vague.

HTH

Do you know of a new series starting soon? A special one off episode? Seen a trailer for a new series? Post details to the following special thread to help out other TiVo users who have missed the trailers. Click here for the special New Series Thread

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

It was stated that the new Tribune deal was for 'multiple' years, so one must assume that it was for at least two years. I think the contract was renewed earlier this year.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ricardo is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ricardo Find more posts by Ricardo Add Ricardo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricardo

quote:
Originally posted by pmk
I am no expert but I would say if you paid by credit card and the TiVo UK service was withdrawn you could probably claim an appropriate refund from the Credit Card company.
HTH

Neither am I but was under the impression you had to claim within 60days of purchase?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ricardo is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ricardo Find more posts by Ricardo Add Ricardo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricardo

P.S.

I bought my Tivo just over two years ago and the same debate over monthly vs lifetime sub was going on. I gambled on the lifetime and was glad I did.

Don't suppose this is much help to you though.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Aerotec is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Aerotec Find more posts by Aerotec Add Aerotec to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aerotec
PH,Where's my TiVo!?

I would just pay the money! Otherwise you will be back here in 20 months saying, "I should have subscribed 2 years ago, 4 years ago...!"

Take the gamble. At least it shows TiVo there are still folk happy to sign up so keep that service running!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 03:23 AM
pmk

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo
Neither am I but was under the impression you had to claim within 60days of purchase?

I just could not remember I knew there was something. I believe many cards you do have a full year to claim some may be more but clearly some are less. E.g. mine was a good 7 months in with ITVDigital. Read the T&C on your credit card is probably the best idea.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mk-donald is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mk-donald Find more posts by mk-donald Add mk-donald to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mk-donald

I think you'll find its covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1977 which applies when you buy goods or services for a cash price of over £100 and there is a breach of contract by the supplier and nothing credit card companies put in their t&c's can counteract that law.

As the OFT put it: "In certain circumstances under section 75 of
the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit grantor may be
equally responsible for any breach of contract or
misrepresentation by the supplier.... A credit grantor cannot contract out of his obligations under section 75 .... Any
attempt to do so is void."

There will probably be a time limitation from when you detect or should have detected the breach of contract, but that's going to be something like 6 or 7 years, and you'll probably notice within 6 or 7 days that the lifetime EPG isn't there.

That's my thoughts anyway.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spaceman is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spaceman Find more posts by spaceman Add spaceman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spaceman

Superstar P.J, found my-self in the same boat three months ago and went for the lifetime. Family life would not be the same if TiVo EPG stops as it's still the best.

Just wish i went for the full term subsciption when i got the box

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mike0151 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mike0151 Visit mike0151's homepage! Find more posts by mike0151 Add mike0151 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

HAHAHA I DID on both boxes LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist sharing.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

velocitysurfer is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for velocitysurfer Find more posts by velocitysurfer Add velocitysurfer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
velocitysurfer

I went through the same dilemma last Friday.

I've been paying the £10 subs since Oct '02. I thought that it was about time to pay the £199 especially as my credit card was offering 6 months interest free on purchases!

I though it was worth it as most problems with TiVo are hard disc related and can easily be solved - hence the lifetime of the box is probably longer than TIVO CS expected.

So I phoned TIVO CS, and handed over my details. I asked the guy about future listing and he said that tivo had signed a new contract which stated that if they pulled out of the UK, they had a partner who would still continue to supply the listing.

p.s. He also said that my status 3. Account in good standing will change to 4. Account in good standing !!!!!!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

velocitysurfer is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for velocitysurfer Find more posts by velocitysurfer Add velocitysurfer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
velocitysurfer

I've just checked and it says
5. Lifetime service

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged